Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weston Goals

+15
Dusty Lynfield
BenE
LB
Luton Roman
SteveS
Corstonian
turnstyle13
pete mac
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
yuffie
the demon headmaster
Marc Monitor
bonzodog
Skyblue
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Weston Goals - Page 2 Empty Re: Weston Goals

Post by Corstonian Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:50 pm

BenE wrote:
I know this is mightily close to perceived management bashing but I have another point. McCootie was on a hat trick when he was taken off. David Pratt has been taken off in similar circumstances as have other strikers. I think he should have stayed on.

I was also surprised when McCootie went off, but for a slightly different reason - I keep reading/hearing that Pratt is struggling with a niggling injury, isn't 100% fit etc. and yet McCootie was the one to sit out the last 15 minutes. I think we may have made an error in not leaving him on and giving him the opportunity to be the main man with 2 wide players supporting him. He must have been high on adrenalin anyway at that point so I wouldn't expect fatigue to have been an issue, and it would have stepped up his confidence.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:09 pm

I think part of the reason for McCootie being subbed was due to the fact he was on a yellow and he had made a couple of over excited tackles (probably due to the adrenaline)
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:14 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:I was joking about that last bit! Come on, it's still the holiday season. I think Richard III was being fairly light-hearted as well.

Yes I was. Thing is you lot are soooo easy to wind up...

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:43 pm

Dusty Lynfield wrote:I think part of the reason for McCootie being subbed was due to the fact he was on a yellow and he had made a couple of over excited tackles (probably due to the adrenaline)

I believe he already has 5 yellows. A one match suspension probably for the Staines game.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:25 pm

He served a one-match ban recently, think he missed Gosport home. I can't remember the cut off point with yellows again.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:32 am

McCootie now has five bookings for us but had already picked up a couple at Paulton. I agree that he appeared to be one more mistimed tackle from getting a red.

I thought on Thursday Pratt was beginning to look more like his old self so hopefully he is getting over his injury problem.

I did think the starting line-up was an odd one but as the post-match comments show we rarely know of any minor injuries/illness. Then with the changes at HT and in the second half it meant, like the Boreham Wood game, we were the stronger/fitter side in the 2nd half.

And it's good to hear the management bashing is all in good fun this week.

Last edited by yuffie on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:09 am

stillmanjunior wrote:He served a one-match ban recently, think he missed Gosport home. I can't remember the cut off point with yellows again.

Thank you. I had forgotten about his "Paulton yellow cards".

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:35 am

Just thinking about McCootie's second goal, does the rule regarding 'high foot' not apply to overhead kicks?

A Weston defender's head was quite close to the point of contact, and if a striker got their foot that high from a standing position the defenders would no doubt get the decision and a foul be given for a high foot. Yet flinging yourself off the ground and swinging your legs around above head height seems to be ok. Is it because they're such spectacular goals when they come off that the authorities allow it?!
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:23 pm

Lol and I was joking too Marc and Richard, lighten up boys, its only a game !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:58 pm

...and what are jokes?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:29 pm

When Lord Bear and myself ruled the roost on here, it was a place for solemn discussion of the day's vital issues. The sooner this forum returns to that higher plateau, the better!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:37 pm

Timbo_b-o-a wrote:Just thinking about McCootie's second goal, does the rule regarding 'high foot' not apply to overhead kicks?

A Weston defender's head was quite close to the point of contact, and if a striker got their foot that high from a standing position the defenders would no doubt get the decision and a foul be given for a high foot. Yet flinging yourself off the ground and swinging your legs around above head height seems to be ok. Is it because they're such spectacular goals when they come off that the authorities allow it?!
My thoughts also.
As far as I am aware the rules in the penalty box are the same as the rest of the pitch, and by the letter of the law that was a high foot and therefore dangerous play. Lucky it was in our favour! Shocked
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:26 pm

The FIFA guidelines for Playing In A Dangerous Manner say "A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that, in the opinion of the referee, it is not dangerous to an opponent." It looked to me at the time, and the video seems to confirm, that McCootie was already through his kicking action before the centre-half lunged in the general direction of where the ball had been. So I'm assuming the ref gave the goal because if the centre-half was in any danger, it was through his action not that of McCootie.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:53 pm

I do believe you lot would be happier if the ref had disallowed the second goal and that the first was given as an own goal. The lad needs a bit of love to get his season going, we need a more confident striker so rejoice in two well taken goals I say. Or am I missing another joke?

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:03 pm

Im delighted he's got two and hopefully will do his confidence the world of good.

I was just airing my musings on overhead kicks in general, thanks Corstonian for digging around for the answer!
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:37 pm

I have to say that I thought it was a high foot and have seen such excellent goals ruled out before.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Football is about entertainment and ruling out that goal would have been very disappointing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBWa6pUvrUg - as it would have been this one.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:31 pm

Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2