Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

East Thurrock

+19
sportinessex
suffolkexile
Matt_1376
yuffie
Ashley
BenE
comrade powell
gaz777
rabbit
SteveS
Bridgeyate
Beau Nash
Mcnulty
bonzodog
2weirdtown
Marc Monitor
Luton Roman
Terrie K
LB
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

East Thurrock Empty East Thurrock

Post by LB Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Just finished listening to commentary - not sure what to say.

That was City's joint worst ever F A Cup defeat - previously lost by same score at Coventry 1929/30 and Merthyr 1946/47.

LB

Back to top Go down

East Thurrock Empty Re: East Thurrock

Post by Terrie K Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Also i n shock LB - attndances will keep dipping at this rate, not what the club needs.
Very sad times Sad

Terrie K

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:10 pm

Just as well we weren't playing all of Thurrock. Not much to say. Pretty awful. Looked like country bumpkin on day out. That's probably unfair to a bumpkin.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Unlike Sunderland, City's players aren't rich enough to refund the fans tickets.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:27 pm

What the hell was that? There must be something up for a team to capitulate like that. More than ever, we need a leader in the team. I thought the re-signing of Joe Burnell was a good move but it never actually happened. I'd like to know what that was about.
If we can't afford a change in management, at least get a midfield organiser/battler in.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:37 pm

Looking forward to the managers excuses. That's if he is still in charge. Joe Burnells absence is a mystery. New management required. Not Rollo or Freeguard new blood required.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm

I am not one for knee jerk reactions but we have totally capitulated 3 or 4 times this season. There is something missing. Leadership for one. At 3-1 down you would expect a huddle and a regrouping but we seem to fall apart. Sometimes days like this happen but we now had this several times. At the very least a change of captain must be considered.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:10 pm

On field leadership is sadly lacking in all the games I have seen.  Andy Gallinagh is usually too quiet.

I can't see anyone else suitable for the job;  Sekani is usually quiet too.

Question
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridgeyate Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:43 pm

That was awful! On our way back on a very miserable,quiet coach .worst display seen this season and there have been a few.Did we have any tactics apart from hoofing the ball anywhere? we deserved to loose 7 1 on that performance.We hope for a resignation very soon please or Southern League football beckons.

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:46 pm

Not there today but note that several more are commenting on the lack of a leader, something which I have been stressing for some months going back into last season
Interesting to note that on the Gloucester forum they have also been making similar comments about their team and saying, as some of you may have guessed, they need someone like Matt Coupe again.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by rabbit Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:49 pm

A change in manager please or gates will soon be down to rock bottom, then what ?

rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:12 pm

It was interesting listening to the commentary to hear comments about our line-up and the fact that we seemed to be playing 4-2-4 with only Adelsbury and Vickers in midfield much of the time and Chas Hemmings playing up front. This seemed to result in our getting caught out too often with too many players committed forward giving East Thurrock space which they exploited.

It does seem rather ironic that a management whose overly negative tactics have cost us games in the past (the F A Cup game at home to Salisbury last season being a prime example) seemingly abandoned them today when the priority had to be at the very least not to lose.

I look forward later to posts from those who experienced the debacle first hand, and to the explanations from Messrs Britton and Howells as to who was to blame, because it is unlikely to be them.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:41 pm

LB wrote:and to the explanations from Messrs Britton and Howells as to who was to blame, because it is unlikely to be them.
all I want to hear from these two is that they've left.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by gaz777 Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Today was an absolute shambles. From playing a ridiculously high defensive line with a huge slope behind you in the first half to doing the complete opposite in the second, from the moment we scored it was all one way.

Most worrying thing for me was the complete lack of any spirit or team ethic. No leadership on or off the pitch. I don't expect Britton & Howells to rant and rave constantly but I do expect some impetus, or motivation at 3-1 down with 40mins still to go, but alas nothing.

There is no way he can be blamed for today but what on earth is the point of Hemmings? Can't run, jump, pass or tackle!

Watching City all over the country for 25years, today was by far the worst experience. What makes it all the worse is I still reckon as a group of players their a talented lot! Would be somewhat easier to bear if it was clear they are all useless but that's clearly not the case.

Sadly I fear Britton is so tied in to the club financially (with good will and intention on his part) that him and Howells will be there forever!

A fair drive from Derby but a complete waste of time and effort.

gaz777

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:13 pm

We were weak all over the pitch, but until this defence, including the keeper, start showing consistency we are going to struggle to avoid defeat. But credit to Thurrock - our goal seemed to galvanise them and they would have beaten better sides than us today. And to think we looked so strong away from home before last Saturday.

Apparently Mellor doesn't like wearing a cap - well I suggest the management find an alternative keeper in conditions like today's. I don't think I've seen such a ridiculous sight as his shielding his eyes for long periods in the 2nd half, while being all at sea with crosses into the box and even back passes from his own players.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:32 pm

what was the team?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Mellor
Simpson - Keary - Gallinagh - Ball
Adelsbury
Pratt - Hemmings - Kington - Watkins
McCootie

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridgeyate Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:37 pm

The day did not start well as we can't even wear a kit that matches! Black & White shirts with Blue shorts and socks.The East Thurrock fans found it laughable.Cant work out whether this was worse or better than the Purple shirts and Yellow shorts of last season.Very professional !

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:45 pm

Ashley wrote:Mellor
Simpson - Keary - Gallinagh - Ball
               Adelsbury
Pratt - Hemmings - Kington - Watkins
               McCootie

No excuses then
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:46 pm

I agree - definitely the worst kit combination I can recall. Surely we can afford some white shorts and socks if the black clash with the home team.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Given the events of this afternoon I think having to occasionally wear the away shorts with the home shirt is the least of our problems. And I am sure there are more pressing expenses within the the club than unnecessary kit.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:09 pm

Perhaps it was unnecessary to change last season's perfectly adequate and popular 2nd kit.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridgeyate Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 pm

All we needed was a set of white shorts not a lot to ask.Its not an unnecessary expense it's about looking like a professional outfit .

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridgeyate Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 pm

All we needed was a set of white shorts not a lot to ask.Its not an unnecessary expense it's about looking like a professional outfit .

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:17 pm

Change of manufacture.

And sponsor.

And badge.

Cool

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content