Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NOT Test Match Special but...

3 posters

Go down

NOT Test Match Special but... Empty NOT Test Match Special but...

Post by Beau Nash Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:52 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/scorecard/ECKO48932

Playing over five days to try and guarantee a result?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

NOT Test Match Special but... Empty Re: NOT Test Match Special but...

Post by Luton Roman Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:33 pm

Sensible given the autumn weather. Building up to a tense finale. Runs on the board makes us just favourites st the moment.

Luton Roman

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:00 pm

Quickly looking like a one innings match Could get very interesting if Essex have to surpass your total to ensure a winning draw. The key is to use the new ball well as batting looks pretty straightforward after 25 overs.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Weather forecast is sun tomorrow. sunny

Bl**dy Cook; where is Luton Roman with a spade. Twisted Evil
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm waiting for a call back from George Davis...

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:26 pm

First hour tomorrow will be very interesting.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:36 pm

If they get a lead then plan B is to get say 250 plus lead and Jack spins them out on Sunday afternoon. Either way plenty of time left in the game and weather set fair. Essex in front but its tight.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:48 pm

Scoring 250+ in a second innings against that attack will be an excellent achievement. I like Leach but would fancy Harmer to play a more decisive role.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:57 am

Free live TV ball by ball coverage - https://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/match-centre - no technical problems. bounce

Will Somerset bat on?
I expect so for a maximum of 10 overs hoping / dreaming for another c.80 runs, giving c.270 lead, leaving a minimum of 80 overs to bowl out Essex who only need a draw to win the Trophy.

How will Essex play?
Whatever the target, I expect cautiously.

Somerset have to win so I would expect an attacking field.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:08 am

All gone very quiet over there!

Well done to both teams for producing a very competitive match played in the right spirit although some of your lot’s appealing on the last afternoon verged on the embarrassing. As were many of the comments on the one eyed Somerset forum. I don’t usually venture there but couldn’t resist last night - I see that Bess, Overton of Surrey, the Lord’s groundsman, the weather, umpire Bailey and of course the first innings rule are all being blamed. But what really made me laugh was the one a couple of days ago...

I'd rather lose trying to win than draw, so anything they do is fine by me

Coming from the bloke who was so vocal about THAT match in 2016 his hypocrisy will be met with derision in Middlesex and Yorkshire circles.

Still, always next year when we all start again on zero points...😉
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:11 pm

The competition was a good idea, especially the 120 overs rule, but the one thing that was wrong was the way to decide a winner.  The last day, as I predicted, was a bit boring with the negative batting; a better solution in the event of a draw after say 4 days and two sessions could have been a "super over" or more than one...

Forums and social media all have uninformed / irrational opinion...which is why I ignore most of it when making my own judgments. elephant study
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:55 pm

What took you so long Comrade !

It was a competitive game between 2 well matched teams with Cook the difference. Essex have that streetwise swagger I have seen in football teams rolling over City in days gone by. Somerset need to somehow find that extra edge. Perhaps our bowling wasnt as good as we hyped with a largely Div 2 group against a largely Div1 set in your group. Some of our players didnt quite stand up, but Cook's innings was the significant difference, a high quality player who will be there for another year at least.

As for the forum, I imagine your'e the only Middx fan who goes on there, and not many of those Yorkies can read.

At least we will start in Div1. Would have preferred the final on a Div 1 ground, but for an unfinished Div2 ground its not bad tbf.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Beau Nash wrote:The competition was a good idea, especially the 120 overs rule, but the one thing that was wrong was the way to decide a winner.  The last day, as I predicted, was a bit boring with the negative batting; a better solution in the event of a draw after say 4 days and two sessions could have been a "super over" or more than one...

I don't think the ECB get many things right regarding the counties but this competition plus the T20 and a very full international programme deserves a lot of praise. I'm sure the first innings rule was used in case the match was decimated by bad weather and light and was certainly preferable to the idea of super overs which would have reduced it to a farce. I've no problem with it in T20 but this is first class cricket.  

Forums and social media all have uninformed / irrational opinion...which is why I ignore most of it when making my own judgments. elephant study Certainly the case with many football forums I'll concede, but most cricket forums I visit are inhabited by those who love the game and appreciate good play by both teams. I've always found the Somerset forum to be cricket's equivalent of Liverpool with some huge chips on shoulders.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:00 pm

Luton Roman wrote:What took you so long Comrade ! I didn't want to gatecrash a wake!

It was a competitive game between 2 well matched teams with Cook the difference. Agreed. Not many international stars have returned to county cricket in recent years - he and Tres are noticeable exceptions and supporters of all clubs should be very grateful.
Essex have that streetwise swagger I have seen in football teams rolling over City in days gone by. Somerset need to somehow find that extra edge. Perhaps our bowling wasnt as good as we hyped with a largely Div 2 group against a largely Div1 set in your group. Some of our players didnt quite stand up, but Cook's innings was the significant difference, a high quality player who will be there for another year at least. And he threatened in his second knock to win the game - I was a bit surprised that Essex appeared to settle for the draw once he was out but I guess it was always on the cards.

As for the forum, I imagine your'e the only Middx fan who goes on there, and not many of those Yorkies can read.

At least we will start in Div1. I'll be very surprised if there are two divisions next summer. Seems to be a groundswell of opinion within the game that the positives from the BWT should be retained.Would have preferred the final on a Div 1 ground, but for an unfinished Div2 ground its not bad tbf. You played more fc cricket on it this season than we did! For all its splendour, Mx get very little out of playing there.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down