Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ex Romans' Thread

+61
City 'til we're relegated
Midsomer-chris
Twerton Parker
Kelston Koppite
pete mac
the demon headmaster
Corstonian
PSJRoman
daven
PHILB1973#
Freeview Joe
Thompy
tovid
sirkev
Dodgycarpet
cannonball
westonpundit
Maurice Ashman
romanoyd
Peter Newman
Dusty Lynfield
turnstyle13
A36
Peteboa
sned
Colin Voutt
Elmore James
yuffie
striped67
Bristol Mike
kentish tim
SteveS
pmh9800
Twerton Park Magic
Major Icewater
Micawber
Reedy
Sir Ged Roddy
Marc Monitor
Beau Nash
miker
mike h
2weirdtown
threeday week
Mark Tanner
kermit
BenE
Ashley
comrade powell
LB
RUDI GULITS
DorsetExile
Roy D Hacksaw
Luton Roman
county exile
Jon_BOA
Midsomer-steve
stillmanjunior
Dave
thomasmaxbaer
Roman Mike
65 posters

Page 3 of 43 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23 ... 43  Next

Go down

Ex Romans' Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Ex Romans' Thread

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:01 pm

Still playing for the Mangoes, apparently…

http://www.mufc-online.co.uk/s/the-team-32267.html?player_id=1404600

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Saw a couple more ex-City players in action of sorts today.

We had another double-header. The early game saw us at Roman Glass St George v Almondsbury UWE. About 25 minutes in a UWE player called Zac Evans came down heavily and wrenched his knee so badly that the game was held up for 20 minutes as they awaited an ambulance. I'm not sure if it's the same Zac Evans who played a few games for us this season, but as it was only his third game for them there's a good chance. Poor sod, whoever it was, as I've rarely heard a man holler so loud and for so long after getting an injury.

More identifiable was a familiar face from a few seasons back at the Cribbs v Wellington match, as Dave Gillroy came on for the last 25 minutes for Cribbs. He's their top scorer, and bagged a couple in their last game, so I don't know why he started on the bench. But after a sharp start with a couple of decent chances he soon faded out of the game.

Another familiar face, although not from Bath, was Weston's much-loved former manager Andy Gurney. He appears to have gone from strength-to-strength and taken the manager's chair at Western League First Division strugglers Roman Glass. Indeed, so poor were they that he subbed his 41-year-old self on in the second half, and looked about their best player until his puff ran out.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 am

Right, Roy, because of my OCDesque need for completeness, you should have known that I would have to check about Zac Evans. The Bath City Zac Evans went to Mangotsfield - with Hogg and a certain Ibrahim Diallo - at the start of the season and was playing for them until December. In January, there was a message on their website (along with a very sweet good luck message for us against NFU) - "Zac has not played for us for a while and this is because he has a back injury. He has had an MRI scan and time will tell on how the injury heals."

Of course, he may have recovered and gone on loan to Almondsbury UWE. He hadn't played for them up until the end of February but that still leaves a month for him to have played three times for them. Basically did he look like this?Ex Romans' Thread - Page 3 ?url=images.pitchero.com%2Fui%2F524946%2F1411308189_0

I will end up phoning Almondsbury or stalking him on Facebook at this rate.

...and, yes, it is half-term.

Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:06 am

You must be an even more shattered teacher than you think. This is the Easter holiday! Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:14 am

Roy D Hacksaw wrote:Still playing for the Mangoes, apparently…

http://www.mufc-online.co.uk/s/the-team-32267.html?player_id=1404600
Saw him playing for Mangoes away at Merthyr on Saturday, 4 April. Surprisingly, he was one of just 5 Mangotsfield players booked. Kerry Morgan came on as a sub for Merthyr.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:56 pm

His Twitter would suggest it is, poor fella. Don't think this is the first time either

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:32 pm

How many Bath City players have gone onto become professional players? I can think of Jason Dodd, of course (who, oddly, got sacked as Southamton youth academy manager last year by the guy that took me through my coaching badge). I know that we missed out on Ashley Barnes and Scott Sinclair.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:39 pm

In recent years Sido, Sands, Walshy for a while, Marley Watkins, Mohamed...

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:44 pm

I was more thinking of players that had started with us or come through the junior ranks but good calls there.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Klukowski is at Newport now isn't he? Can't think of anyone else. Until recently we've rarely had junior ranks

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:13 pm

Tony Book had a decent professional career
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Reedy Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:21 am

Matt Macey, who was Arsenal's sub GK against Liverpool last week, played for Bath City Youth for a brief period according to his Wikipedia page.

http://www.arsenal.com/academy/players/matt-macey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Macey

He played with us in Beechen's first XI (which was two years above his age) because we had nobody else to go in goal he was so tall.

Reedy

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasmaxbaer Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:08 am

I think we also missed out on Tyrone Mings who's now Ipswich's centre back. Going off his wiki page he played for Yate and Chippenham before Ipswich

thomasmaxbaer

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:38 am

In the late 50s Alan Skirton, a local lad, played for the colts and reserves before making the 1st team. Was signed by Arsenal and was there for quite a few years. I think he came back to us for a season in the 70s before retiring.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:33 pm

Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Bert Head signed him in 1974-75 season and he made 47 1st team appearances. He also worked in the commercial department. The following year he was Youth team manager.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:24 pm

And went on to do a brilliant job as commercial manager at Yeovil.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:19 pm

Sorry to bring this thread back to the here and now, but I saw three more old boys at the weekend.

Went up to see Mangotsfield V Taunton, cos we had some Taunton fans visiting, and saw a fair few familiar faces.

Lewis Hogg you know about. He's the captain there now, and seems to be sitting a little deeper. He behaved himself during this match, but some Mango fans in the chip queue were telling me he's still prone to the red mist.

Elliott Gibbons is also in the claret and blue, and if he was the chap I thought he was, put in a pretty decent shift. But the best player on the pitch that day by a street was Louis Schipp from our development squad last year. I was always impressed with him in the Somerset Cup matches, and was amazed we let him go. But playing regular first team football seems to have added a maturity to his game, and he pretty much bossed the Field defence throughout.

One to keep an eye on for the future, I fancy - especially if Dan Bowman goes elsewhere once he graduates.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Memo to Junior - how many young players have returned to the club after they have been released?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Fri May 01, 2015 10:50 pm

I see that Paul Bastock played in goal for St Neots at Poole in the play-off semi final - apparently he is 45 in a couple of weeks!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat May 02, 2015 9:16 am

An absolute legend! Will never forget how he still joked with City fans behind the goal after our 8th goal went past him that memorable night!

So Les, a quiz question. Who was the other player we lent to play in Bastock's only appearance for us?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat May 02, 2015 10:28 am

I am inclined to say Paul Thorpe, but only because I cheated and looked at the archive!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat May 02, 2015 11:21 am

Correct!

Central defender Paul had the rather underwhelming honour of being Harold Jarman's final signature as City manager when he arrived on loan from Yeovil Town in September 1988. The former Bristol City player made his debut in the 1-1 draw against VS Rugby and then, when Jarman quit a few days later, returned to Huish Park.

Goalkeeper Paul made a single appearance for City during a very brief loan spell from Cambridge United during the early part of the 1988-89 season. That match was a 1-1 draw against VS Rugby. Returned to Twerton Park with Fisher Athletic a couple of years later to produce a stunning man-of-the-match performance before joining Boston United in 1992. Spent 12 years at York Street, playing a club record 624 games, before briefly joining Dagenham & Redbridge in October 2004 and then St Albans City a month later. Is back with the Blue Square South club after a spell with Rushden & Diamonds.

I didn't realise the 2 were loans, I thought they simply turned out as registered ringers for us in that game because we were desperately short of players.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sat May 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Curtis Guthrie playing for Forest Green Rovers. Never rated him.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Icewater Sun May 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Notice that Leon Jeanne is now convicted.

Major Icewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 43 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23 ... 43  Next