Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rovers friendly

+3
Marc Monitor
pete mac
tovid
7 posters

Go down

Rovers friendly Empty Rovers friendly

Post by tovid Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:57 pm

A decent turn out to see a very competent display by the city boys. We completely controlled the game after they scored with Rigg, Brunt , Mann, Raines and Cundy all looking top drawer. Ryan Clarke even saved two penalties and Raines played full back, midfield and striker during the game.
Good entertainment all round.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Rovers friendly Empty Re: Rovers friendly

Post by pete mac Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:02 pm

An encouraging pre -season. I am starting to believe we can make an impact in 2018/19

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:15 pm

Excellent today. Rovers weren't really great opposition but we played fantastically well. Went with a few people who were really surprised and entertained by our passing style and some of the moves were brilliant. Clarke is always going to suffer in comparison to Southwood but he did make two good saves from the penalties and an excellent finger-tip save in the second half so, hopefully, he is just going to grow more in confidence and form. The new boys all looked good today with even Mills looking lively and scoring in the little time he was on. Cundy was impressive and it was a well-taken goal for him. Raynes looked very useful in all positions. Brunt had, I thought, a slightly quieter game than last week. Mann was excellent. We were choosing MOM today and, after a lot of deliberation (which, in itself, is a positive sign), went for Mann and then he scored his second goal. I was impressed by most of the old boys. Richards had the best game I have seen him play for us for months. I thought Stearn was a bit off today but no real worries there as we are still two weeks of season start and, as he is his own (and everyone else's) harshest critic, I expect he will be all guns blazing then. Spoke to Rigg and apparently it was just a knock that he got. Glad to see Amankwaah sensibly rested as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:13 pm

I'm surprised that all the reports of City's performance have been so positive. Defensively I thought we were all over the place and Rovers could easily have scored 5 or 6 goals themselves. For a 20 minute spell in the 2nd half Straker had a torrid time against a fast and tricky opponent. In the 1st half we looked particularly vulnerable to long balls over the top. Still we did play some neat attacking football at times and we seem to have plenty of goal scoring options.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:31 pm

It's an interesting point. I would say that, perhaps, it takes a bit longer for defenders to meld together as a unit than a front 6. Raynes, for instance, was not only playing out of position but it was only his third game with us.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:11 pm

In the interview, Jerry confirmed he hasn’t had a chance to do any proper defensive training, and that there were a few moments of concern. It’s on Soundcloud, also spoke to Ryan Clarke.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:52 pm

Yes it could have been 6-5 but Rovers were not as poor as the score line suggests.

For all Straker's strengths it is Dan Ball that organises the defence and clears up mistakes. This is why I prefer a back three plus Straker is better as a wing back. Raynes looks like he can slot in as a right wing back too.

There is actually very strong competition for places apart from at the back. Amankwah is well dodgy fitness wise.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for the interviews on Soundcloud Mark....there seems to be an issue with the Ryan Clarke one, it keeps skipping back to the start after every few seconds.
Relieved to hear Sean Rigg just has a knock....he seems to be a lot fitter this season, and seems an upgrade on Tom Smith based on his pre season performances to date.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:25 pm

Dusty Lynfield wrote:Thanks for the interviews on Soundcloud Mark....there seems to be an issue with the Ryan Clarke one, it keeps skipping back to the start after every few seconds.

Strange. I'll give that a look a minute. Thanks for letting me know.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:11 am

Some very astute comments from Jerry - https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bath-city-bristol-rovers-gill-1812890 - work to do with the defending. Smile
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down