Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New shirt?

+25
turnstyle13
Roy D Hacksaw
Midsomer-steve
OliverH
2weirdtown
Sir Ged Roddy
SteveBradley
Twerton Parker
A36
Dusty Lynfield
Bridgeyate
bonzo dog
westonpundit
Beau Nash
Dodgycarpet
Ashley
Marc Monitor
LB
pete mac
yuffie
stillmanjunior
tovid
RUDI GULITS
Tapper80
Steve Whites Missus
29 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New shirt? Empty New shirt?

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Sucks, or rocks?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

New shirt? Empty Re: New shirt?

Post by Tapper80 Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Disappointed

Tapper80

Back to top Go down

Post by RUDI GULITS Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:57 pm

any photos off it yet
could not make it today as I went out for a meal with the family for me and wife's 20th anneversary
RUDI GULITS
RUDI GULITS

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:01 pm

I think it is a cracking design although Yorkie thought it looked a bit like a yeovil shirt.
We are not likely to get confused with Newcastle now.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by RUDI GULITS Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:23 pm

just seen photo's from the game today
the new shirt looks great as far as I am concerned
will get this one

just hope the away shirt is great aswell
RUDI GULITS
RUDI GULITS

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:16 pm

Certainly a marmite one. Some hate it, some love it. I can read the numbers which is all I really worry about, I haven't bought one of our shirts for a while. Just hope it doesn't start to look tatty by Xmas, an issue we've had in the past with numbers fading etc.

Only worry is you can barely see the sponsor's name.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Best one we've had for years in my opinion. Yes, it's a bit left field but given we are always going to be limited as long as we stick to stripes* then I like that the club has tried something a bit different.

I agree that the sponsor isn't clear from a distance but is that really an issue. In pictures and on replica's it is clear enough. And if you want to see how a kit can go wrong to make the sponsor logo stand out look for Maidenhead's this season.

For the more conservative City fan the new away kit should be more to your liking.

After buying all kits for about 20 seasons I haven't bought one for 3 or 4 years now but think I will get this one.

*As an aside I would have no issue if the club moved away from this to a predominately white shirt with black trim like they wore when I first went down, bit I realise this really would cause outrage!

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:04 pm

I’ll buy. It’s as striking as the old bar code kit from the 90s

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:18 pm

Interesting what Yuffie says about white shirts. When I started watching City in 1967 their first choice strip was white shirts with black shorts (with the away one often being red shirts and black shorts) and they certainly kept this for a couple more seasons.

In 1972 when Dave Burnside took over as manager the colours changed to blue and white stripes for a season (he had previously been at West Brom) and I don’t think we properly re-embraced black and white stripes again until after that.

As a few people have said on Facebook, if we have a successful team it doesn’t really matter what strip we play in (although green and white is probably going a bit too far!). Interesting though for this season to see that we have gone for squad numbers - will be interesting to see how high these go as the season progresses!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:47 pm

I think it's terrible especially when you look at the "this is what you could won" lush Newcastle kit this season. Someone I was sitting near thought it looked like an old Tesco's bag. However, in the community club era, it appears that it may be very popular amongst a lot of other supporters so, if that translates to more shirt sales, more the better.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 pm

I think it looks great, something a bit different.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:03 am

the blue and white (72) was because we had no money and Dave pulled a favour!
with regard to this one - it just seems so simple - can we have black and white stripes please? not grey, not patterned., just B&W please. it shows up and is identifiable.
AND why not have a space for the sponsor name????? honestly if I'd paid the £500 I might consider asking for my money back. You cant read it even though you know what it is. Doesnt help they have supplied it in tiny letters mind!

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:42 am

Don’t worry we’ll tell the sponsors the logo is the 30000 foot view

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:45 am

Lots of comments on Facebook.

I would have preferred:
To not have the red bits on the edges.
The number on the back to be black.
The socks to be black.
Other than that the stripes do not appear to be consistent, some have more black than others?

I would be interested to hear the psychologists view in respect to:  How do the team kit colours affect the players performance or that of the opposition?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:41 am

This thread proves what’s true about a lot of things at this, and many football clubs - you can’t please everyone. There is absolutely no chance we could release a kit and our entire fan base will say ‘it’s brilliant’. Last year there was a vote for the away shirt and it was pretty even. That proves my point, people have different tastes. There’s no right or wrong answer.

This year they’ve tried to be different. I guess Errea don’t have many options for stripes, hence why we ended up with the same kit two years running. It was also the exact same design as many Western League clubs I saw. This design will only be used by us, something we haven’t had for a while.

If people like it - great. If people don’t - fine, no one is forced to buy it. We have it for nine months, it’s not forever. They’ve slightly altered the stripes and added a tinge of red, not stuck an image of Donald Trump on it.

My only wish is that four years ago we had someone design a one-off 125 year kit instead of that cheap effort which I wouldn’t have bought for my Sunday team.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by westonpundit Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:24 pm

I'm for one who think the new shirt and shorts look great and the graduated chevron style black stripes seem a nod to the Nigeria strip that sold millions at the world cup.

Not sure about white socks as when I played they always seemed to invite the opposition to kick lumps out of us............could be good under lights though and make us look a bigger side .........but for the local derbies perhaps we could play in black socks which would look a little more robust. However no doubt all has been thought through by Gerry and his staff which looks professional and quality again......so a big tick and roll on the start of the season !!

westonpundit

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzo dog Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:08 pm

Looks great, looks smart, looks different.
bonzo dog
bonzo dog

Back to top Go down

New shirt? Empty New Shirt ?

Post by Bridgeyate Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:02 pm

Best kit we have had for years ,so smart and a change from the black and white solid stripes that we have had for years.So much better image for this great new squad we have.If we have a great season then no one will even care what we are wearing ! Good to see us moving with the times .

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:29 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:This thread proves what’s true about a lot of things at this, and many football clubs - you can’t please everyone. There is absolutely no chance we could release a kit and our entire fan base will say ‘it’s brilliant’. Last year there was a vote for the away shirt and it was pretty even. That proves my point, people have different tastes. There’s no right or wrong answer.

Very true. When I initially saw it, I assumed everyone would hate it. However, lots of people seem to like the radical departure. As I say, if it leads to increased shirt sales, then great. I am not sure how much the psychological aspect of colours and patterns affects players really. Jerry chose this kit so, perhaps, he has some insight.

Perhaps interestingly, I thought that last year's kit was OK but had that terrible yoke over the shoulders. When we played the supporters match, I wore one of those shirts and found the silver line along the bottom of the yoke extremely off-putting at the start. It didn't reflect the sun but appeared to. I wonder if idiosyncrasies
of kits reveal themselves in this manner once the kit is played in.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:42 pm

The players seem to like it. A few positives on twitter

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:00 pm

I like it now they’ve gone with squad numbers too.....my son has already asked if he can get a number 11, with “Stearn” on the back!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:09 am

I like the idea of squad numbers.  With so many changes to the starting eleven, loanees in and out, it will be easier to follow who is who. study

After watching the film of the Rovers game the kit looks better than I at first thought it was.  Surprised

I particularly liked the quotes here from Jerry, shows attention to detail which, although small, could make the difference...top management - https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bath-city-bristol-rovers-gill-1812890 -
Gill explained: "It's just to make it a bit more personal, to make players feel good.  For me it's trying to make it more professional every week, every day we're here.  As I was a player, I liked to feel good before I went out and played, and it's a feel-good factor.  I think the kit looks terrific, the squad numbers are personalised, then the kit fits them to their size and it's their kit for the season." Very Happy
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

New shirt? Empty Squad Numbers

Post by A36 Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:43 pm

Oh no!!  What a dreadful plan.  Squad numbers with no names looks far more amateur than wearing 1-11.  It just makes it look like the shirts were bought second hand without getting a complete set.  It also gives the impression of a club that is up their own ...

Please, please, City, re-think this one.

And, just seen the quote at the end of the article "It's up to them to have that shirt when we start at 3 o'clock or 7.45." Surely using squad numbers has the opposite effect, the shirt is already the player's own shirt, they already have it. That may only a pedantic point, but, nevertheless demonstrates that the rhetoric that goes with the switch to squad numbers doesn't add up.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:23 pm

That's what Jerry means. It is up to them to bring their kit - not up to them to earn the shirt.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:47 pm

A36 - It just makes it look like the shirts were bought second hand without getting a complete set.  It also gives the impression of a club that is up their own 

Sorry don't get the logic of either of these statements.

What sort of person would get either of these ideas?

Last edited by tovid on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next