Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ross Stearn - is he right for Bath City?

+15
RUDI GULITS
Dave
Beau Nash
Peteboa
Bridgeyate
BenE
stillmanjunior
yuffie
Mark Tanner
Paul1978
2weirdtown
bonzo dog
comrade powell
Stripey79
Mcnulty
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ross Stearn - is he right for Bath City?  Empty Ross Stearn - is he right for Bath City?

Post by Mcnulty Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:36 pm

I thought I'd put this as a standalone topic since it seems to crop up in every other thread on team selection and almost everything else.

To keep it to the basics - is Stearn good enough and does he contribute sufficiently to deserve a regular place in the Bath city starting 11? Do we think he is worth keeping for next season?
Have his performances warranted his regular relegation to the bench and what are the management's principle reasons for putting him there?

I will reserve my opinions for a later post !

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Ross Stearn - is he right for Bath City?  Empty Re: Ross Stearn - is he right for Bath City?

Post by Stripey79 Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Of course. He is our most flair player. As with most flair players, they can be the type of players who have games where they don't do alot, but also games where they change it completely. I don't subscribe to the theory necessarily that he should be a shoo-in to start every game, particularly when not fully fit. But, whether as a starter or an impact sub, he is more than worth his place in the squad. And I would be disappointed if he wasn't with us next season (and not surprised if he moved to a team above us in the league if he did move).

Stripey79

Back to top Go down

Ross Stearn - is he right for Bath City?  Empty Re: Ross Stearn - is he right for Bath City?

Post by comrade powell Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Mcnulty wrote:

To keep it to the basics - is Stearn good enough and does he contribute sufficiently to deserve a regular place in the Bath city starting 11? with his commitment, pace, dribbling skill, shooting and heading ability, yes he is good enough. but his inconsistency and 'individual' style counts against him.
Do we think he is worth keeping for next season?  yes
Have his performances warranted his regular relegation to the bench his performances since november have not warranted regular inclusion in the team
and what are the management's principle reasons for putting him there? i'm not a mind reader, but the management have a track record for preferring players who fit the bubble. stearn strikes me as someone who wants to be at the centre of attention and is not a great team player. as i've said before, a very odd recruit by our management team, who must have done their research on him.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzo dog Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:43 pm

comrade powell wrote: i'm not a mind reader, but the management have a track record for preferring players who fit the bubble. stearn strikes me as someone who wants to be at the centre of attention and is not a great team player. as i've said before, a very odd recruit by our management team, who must have done their research on him.

You would hope they did their homework on him as they tried to sign him once or twice before.
bonzo dog
bonzo dog

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:20 pm

Yes, he should have a future with us. Management did say some while ago he is struggling to shake off a back problem and is not fully fit. Perhaps they're trying to get him back up to speed gradually and not risking aggravating the injury by giving him 90 minutes.
He was gasping for breath at full time Saturday.
I take the view the management know what they're doing. Also that they have done well over the last 5 seasons considering the limited resources.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:25 pm

yes he should have a future, no brainer, will be extremely unhappy if he is released pre season. a stupid topic in my eyes.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:51 pm

I agree with Hilly there, it would be gutting if we let a player of his ability move on after just one season.

I also agree that Adie has done a great job for five years in charge of the club and still have faith in his leadership (apart from his handling of Preece that was savage!). So if they are keeping Stearn back because of an injury then they are doing their job properly. It would be good to see how long Stearn would last from the start though once in a while.
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Paul1978 wrote:yes he should have a future, no brainer, will be extremely unhappy if he is released pre season. a stupid topic in my eyes.

I don't think mcnulty was taking any sides by starting the thread, just interested to read people's views.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 pm

i'd be surprised if he was released (unless there are behind the scenes issues we are unaware of) but if he decides to move on then that's his decision

i am not aware of any of his predecessors in the 'must play, the manager is clueless for not realising this' group have ever gone on to play at a higher level though

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:01 am

For what its worth, I think it would be a shame if he didnt stay at the club. i think he gives us something extra that we dont have elsewhere in the squad. I know some think he isnt a team player but he does seem to genuinely care whether the team win or lose.
I have confidence that the management know what they are doing but maybe the communication is lacking sometimes. A number of fans get irate when Ross is on the bench but i believe that he hasnt been match fit on a number of occasions which is not always conveyed to the fans.  
He's certainly gone off the boil a bit since his sending off but i'd personally still play him if fit. i think he is one of those players like Kaid Mohammed who doesnt always pick out teamates or play the simple ball but can produce that moment of magic and create space for others.
I dont think its a stupid topic because its what a lot of fans are asking.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:57 pm

and this forum is all about exchanging opinions. if everyone agreed with everyone else, it would be a very boring read. my opinion of stearn is well known, but his supporters are making some good points and i'm not going to rubbish them...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:06 pm

The way I look at players, and whether I'd like them at our club or not, is whether I'd like them to play against us or not. I wouldn't want Stearn playing against us particularly, he did well for Weston at Twerton last season (I didn't go to the away game) and can remember Adie saying he watched him six or seven times before they decided to make another move for him in the summer (I think someone said it was Manda's signing which, even for this forum, is laughable).

The thing with Stearn is, aside from trickery, he has pace. Now I play at a reasonable Sunday League level and the one thing I can't stand, as a full-back, is pace...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:21 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:(I think someone said it was Manda's signing which, even for this forum, is laughable)

I believe Adie wasn't there when he was signed. Possibly she rang him when she knew Stearn was available to get his opinion but she did the deal on her own.

I don't think that's an unusual action for Chairmen of football clubs.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Ross Stearn - is he right for Bath City?  Empty Ross Stearn - Is he right for Bath City ?

Post by Bridgeyate Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:01 pm

Of course he is. Hopefully he will get a better offer and will go,definately our loss.Good luck to him.One of the best players we have seen for a long time. His skill,corners ,free kicks are superior to other players and will always be the player to create that little bit of magic that can excite the fans or change a game.Would always be one of the first on my teamsheet .Feel he needs a good run now without all the pressure .He must always feel that when he does come on he has to prove so much.Says it all really when he comes off the bench its the biggest cheer of the afternoon! A fans favourite.

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:07 pm

In answer to the title of the thread 'Is Stearn right for Bath City?' well perhaps not as the stubborn pair of Britton and Howells clearly don't like the cut of his jib. If they have personal issues with the lad (who may be a bit of douche off the field) then fine, don't invite him over for dinner, but that shouldn't mean non selection when saturday afternoon comes. But from past seasons we can also say with confidence they disapprove of such players ; the type who have flair, are super confident and dare I say it even creative. I would say that he is exactly the type of player we need, can creative something out of nothing, scores goals (always helpful), gives it his absolute all and excites the crowd.  He adores the City as well. I find the whole thing tragically sad really and we only have Britton and Howells to blame if he leaves in the summer.

As for the question is he good enough? I am with Paul1978, a farcical question. I can't recall seeing many, if any, players at TP with such ability.
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:38 pm

The club have put a lot of effort into organising tomorrow's Community Day. Presumably the main idea is to draw a large crowd, up the profile of BCFC and capture new fans.
If we get the kind of dire first half witnessed recently (without Stearn) the whole excercise will be a waste of time. First impressions and all that - which the first half will be for any newcomers/casuals/floaters.
So may as well start with our most creative line up even at the risk of not 'winning ugly'.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:34 pm

If we get the kind of excellent game witnessed recently against Ebbsfleet(without Stearn starting) the whole excercise will be valuable. First impressions and all that - which the first game will be for any newcomers/casuals/floaters.

sorry to adapt your post, neil, but i think it's inaccurate to suggest we are an attractive team with stearn starting and not so when he is on the bench.

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:03 pm

Whilst both 2weirdtown and comrade make valid points the last impression is the most important; so if the "flair" is not being shown in the first half then hopefully management will change the eleven early in the second half.  Idea
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Beau Nash wrote:Whilst both 2weirdtown and comrade make valid points the last impression is the most important; so if the "flair" is not being shown in the first half then hopefully management will change the eleven early in the second half.  Idea
I think it's just a touch of short term thinking by me. I remember last season (?) drawing a lot of Rovers fans over for a dire game against Staines I think it was.
Of course there have been successful initiatives in the past like the 'pack the park' game against Grimsby which I think we may have won.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:24 pm

Community day or no community day. Play your top goalscorer  Wink 

I think I have made my point now  Exclamation  see u on a more challenging topic!
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:25 am

Thanks for all the responses, even those pair of you calling it a farcical topic! Evil or Very Mad :
I honestly dont think it is a nonsense topic because he is sat on the bench most weeks. i think he is clearly good enough , probably in our top 3 players along with Watkin and Ball, possibly better than either in terms of sheer ability.
What i dont think we honestly know as fans is why he isnt being picked. His form may have dipped but he is still a potential matchwinner and a player who gives his all, entertains the fans and has that bit of magic we are maybe lacking elsewhere.
The opposition tend to double up on him, either by reputation or having seen what he can do.
It remains a mystery to me why he isnt the first name on the team sheet. Its only speculation but i can only conclude that somehow his face doesnt fit or he has somehow upset the management. Whether on form, and whatever shape or system we are playing I dont see how this guy isnt in the best 11 players we have every week. the most logical other explanation is he isnt fit but we still play Aaron Brown and i dont think he has been match fit since he played for Bristol City!!  Laughing

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:40 am

Are you Adie Britton? He's the only other person I know that always misses the S from Watkins  Wink 

Have to see what happens tomorrow. I expect Pratt will start at least.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:59 am

stillmanjunior wrote:Are you Adie Britton? He's the only other person I know that always misses the S from Watkins  Wink 

Have to see what happens tomorrow. I expect Pratt will start at least.

Ahh, you've got me! I can confirm Watkins and Pratt will start with Stearn in a roaming role behind. I'm going to rest Mellor and play Walshy as rush goalkeeper/sweeper.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:18 am

I knew it! Give yourself a run-out, Adie. I think you could do a job out there.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Looks like Jason has decided to rest himself for a few weeks.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next