Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arch in the Chronicle

+17
LB
Roman Mike
OliverH
Bluebird
London Town
2weirdtown
BenE
Dave
Marc Monitor
comrade powell
Mark Tanner
Major Icewater
pete mac
Midsomer-steve
SteveBradley
Steve Whites Missus
Luton Roman
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arch in the Chronicle Empty Arch in the Chronicle

Post by Luton Roman Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Not the most encouraging read, injuries and no money being the themes, but a couple of interesting points, 4 or 5 of the Sutton team inc Stearn living in Cardiff ! and Bristol, what sort of deal must they be on. Also, Chippenham offered a 2 year deal to Chris Allen with more money. Now a healthy dose of salt needs to be taken when reading any managers / clubs comments in a paper, other clubs have reported we have been throwing money and contracts at players in the recent past, but the underpinning theme of competing with bigger budget teams at this level and locally remains....again.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Arch in the Chronicle Empty Re: Arch in the Chronicle

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:59 pm

I can understand some of it... but maybe Stearn would have stayed if managed properly.  I think he should drop the excuses and concentrate on acting as a coach identifying players (possibly younger) not on the radar of other clubs who can brought up to the level required.

What is happening on our scouting side post the loss of our head scout?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:38 pm

Too many excuses. The real question isn't what's happening at other teams - it's what's happening at ours. That's what our management need to address, not deflect the issue elsewhere.

The biggest question is who body-swapped the team we had at the start of the season for the one we've got now. The confidence, connecting play and, dare I say it, flair we had in the first 10 or so games (including friendlies) seems to have evaporated.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:I can understand some of it... but maybe Stearn would have stayed if managed properly.  I think he should drop the excuses and concentrate on acting as a coach identifying players (possibly younger) not on the radar of other clubs who can brought up to the level required.

What is happening on our scouting side post the loss of our head scout?

As we are cash strapped I absolutely agree that this is the only way to act - but is our current management capable, or have the inclination, to do this, following what we have both heard and read in the past?
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:39 pm

The Chronicle piece is a thoroughly dispiriting read. We need some positivity!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Icewater Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Although Arch does tend to labour the point of budgets it nevertheless does highlight the problems we face. In the past I assume we would have picked up some of those "local players" on standard wages.
If they are travelling to Sutton for games and 3 training mornings a week then they are realistically full time and most probably on 2 or 3 times our pay rates ( perhaps even more). If we are struggling financially and having OK ish gates how are these high spenders getting the equivalent income to fund their activities.
I suspect there are any number of Salisburys in our league which does not make it a level playing field for others. The problem is whenever a club goes belly-up there is always another waiting to do the exact same thing.
The Community plan was to get our gates up to 1k but even at that level there would be nothing like the income to compete with the likes of Sutton. I realise that part of the project envisaged getting additional funding from businesses etc but the failure to attract sufficient of that sort of support to the initial bid process does indicate this might be a non-runner.
It's easy to say the management team should be doing more to develop players but we are in a relatively low catchment area for finding the sort of player who is open to development in the first place.
The current management team are no different to previous managers in that the historic development of players has been virtually non-existent.

Major Icewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:02 pm

Can someone post the article up on here please I love you

I tried reading it on the Chronicle site but it crashed my internet with all of the adverts! Cheers!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:29 pm

The Chronicle website is one of the worst for pop up ads. I recommend you download AdBlocker - it solves the problem! Here's the article...

Lee Howells will assess his options as he looks to arrest Bath City's ailing form.

His side has now gone winless in seven Vanarama National League South matches and suffered a galling FA Cup exit to lower league Harlow Town.

With this weekend's visit to Margate cancelled with the Kent club in cup action, City are in the midst of a fortnight-long break.

Howells will use that time to review the current situation, which has been made all the more difficult with the departures of Jon Davies and Chris Allen.

Sekani Simpson is already out with a thigh injury, while Frankie Artus was removed early from Saturday's 3-1 defeat to Sutton United with a hamstring problem.

"We just chatted to the boys in there and we're going to reassess it," Howells said. "If you don't want to be here, don't be here and we'll get other players in if need be.

"We've got to look for some players because at the moment we're on our knees with lads going and Simmo's out for a while. God knows what happened to Frank, if he's out for four or five weeks it doesn't make it easier.

"We're up against a lot of big financial teams who come here and they've got the real deal. We haven't got that, but then again we're still okay.

"With some of the budgets out at the moment, we can't really complain about where we are with the budget we've got. That's where it is."

However, the first-team coach worried about the scant options available.

He continued: "At the end of the day what are we going to get in? Who's going to give us anyone that's going to get you 20 goals or give you a defender that isn't going to concede any goals?

"We will get what we get and what we pay. There's no lies, because at the end of the day we don't pay top money. We'll get a young kid, that's all we're going to get, not anything special.

"There were five lads playing for Sutton who live in Cardiff and Bristol. Why are they playing for Sutton? Money. End of."

Allen, who required major surgery on a collapsed lung in the summer, has spent time on loan at Southern League Premier outfit Chippenham Town to regain match fitness.

He will join the Bluebirds permanently, having been offered a contract.

"Chris, I'm afraid, had a really nasty injury in the summer and he was out for a while," said Howells. "We didn't think he'd even start the season.

"In a nutshell, we had to sign a few midfield players, Chris went to play at Chippenham to get some match fitness, he's done well and they liked him.

"He's come in and played the odd bit of time with us, carried on playing for Chippenham and out of the blue, because he's non-contract, they've offered him a two-year deal on better money than we can offer him, and it's a bit of security.

"We can't guarantee him football, we can offer him less money and no contract, so what does he do?"

Howells drew comparisons with the sudden exit of Davies.

"It's similar with Jon Davies," said the City chief. "He was non-contract. Jon had his problems with work commitments and travelling and training and goes back with his ex-manager at Paulton.

"Kevin [Nicholson] was different because he wanted to be manager of Torquay. We don't get much rub of the green, if anything.

"As I speak, Frank's out and Simmo's out, so we've got 13 players and a couple of young kids.

"It's been a difficult week as usual at the football club. Going out of the FA Cup, that's not nice, then we've had players leave and that's difficult at the best of times. It's not easy."

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Lee Howells will assess his options as he looks to arrest Bath City's ailing form.

His side has now gone winless in seven Vanarama National League South matches and suffered a galling FA Cup exit to lower league Harlow Town.

With this weekend's visit to Margate cancelled with the Kent club in cup action, City are in the midst of a fortnight-long break.

Howells will use that time to review the current situation, which has been made all the more difficult with the departures of Jon Davies and Chris Allen.

Sekani Simpson is already out with a thigh injury, while Frankie Artus was removed early from Saturday's 3-1 defeat to Sutton United with a hamstring problem.

"We just chatted to the boys in there and we're going to reassess it," Howells said. "If you don't want to be here, don't be here and we'll get other players in if need be.

"We've got to look for some players because at the moment we're on our knees with lads going and Simmo's out for a while. God knows what happened to Frank, if he's out for four or five weeks it doesn't make it easier.

"We're up against a lot of big financial teams who come here and they've got the real deal. We haven't got that, but then again we're still okay.

"With some of the budgets out at the moment, we can't really complain about where we are with the budget we've got. That's where it is."

However, the first-team coach worried about the scant options available.

He continued: "At the end of the day what are we going to get in? Who's going to give us anyone that's going to get you 20 goals or give you a defender that isn't going to concede any goals?

"We will get what we get and what we pay. There's no lies, because at the end of the day we don't pay top money. We'll get a young kid, that's all we're going to get, not anything special.

"There were five lads playing for Sutton who live in Cardiff and Bristol. Why are they playing for Sutton? Money. End of."

Allen, who required major surgery on a collapsed lung in the summer, has spent time on loan at Southern League Premier outfit Chippenham Town to regain match fitness.

He will join the Bluebirds permanently, having been offered a contract.

"Chris, I'm afraid, had a really nasty injury in the summer and he was out for a while," said Howells. "We didn't think he'd even start the season.

"In a nutshell, we had to sign a few midfield players, Chris went to play at Chippenham to get some match fitness, he's done well and they liked him.

"He's come in and played the odd bit of time with us, carried on playing for Chippenham and out of the blue, because he's non-contract, they've offered him a two-year deal on better money than we can offer him, and it's a bit of security.

"We can't guarantee him football, we can offer him less money and no contract, so what does he do?"

Howells drew comparisons with the sudden exit of Davies.

"It's similar with Jon Davies," said the City chief. "He was non-contract. Jon had his problems with work commitments and travelling and training and goes back with his ex-manager at Paulton.

"Kevin [Nicholson] was different because he wanted to be manager of Torquay. We don't get much rub of the green, if anything.

"As I speak, Frank's out and Simmo's out, so we've got 13 players and a couple of young kids.

"It's been a difficult week as usual at the football club. Going out of the FA Cup, that's not nice, then we've had players leave and that's difficult at the best of times. It's not easy."
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:23 pm

I have to agree that we aren't making the best of the young players around here. To be fair, Dan Bowman and Noah Keats are success stories who have come through but considering who we have missed out on, that is a relatively low number. I know the lure of Bristol Rover for Scott Sinclair was obvious and unavoidable but Ashley Barnes was at Paulton and Tyrone Mings was at Yate. Why on earth did we miss out on those two especially with the latter's Bath City connection? Only Mings was available in Billy Clark's time so he can't be blamed. Also, to be fair, kids have come through since he took over but never seem to get a reasonable time to show what they can do in the first team. Bradley Norris springs to mind. He got very little game time thrown on at the end of games which is hard for a striker. He seems to be doing well at Larkhall so maybe that is is level but who knows what would have happened if he had a longer rung amongst better players.

It will be interesting now to see if the likes of Bole, Gibbons, Perry and Slogett as well as non-Academy youngsters such as Monelle get more of a chance this season now.A lot of them (along with Barrington who is going to have limited opportunities) kept Whitehawk down to 2-1 last season.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:28 pm

I'd assumed Monelle was gone but heard a few days back that we hold his registration, I hope that's true. I'd like to see him brought back for a spell if so, clearly has a natural instinct to score goals that is almost totally lacking in our forwards.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:18 pm

We all know that Arch is not the greatest communicator but I think this sums it up.

'We will get what we get and what we pay. There's no lies, because at the end of the day we don't pay top money. We'll get a young kid, that's all we're going to get, not anything special.'

I think most fans would be prepared to give young local kids and especially a team with them in quite a bit of slack and encouragement. Unfortunately this interview merely reinforces my view that Adie and Archie only want to work with the finished article. Or 'something special' as he puts it.

What is any young player going to think reading this article? And especially one in the academy?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Mark Tanner wrote:Can someone post the article up on here please I love you

I tried reading it on the Chronicle site but it crashed my internet with all of the adverts! Cheers!

I downloaded Adblock as recommended by someone on the forum at the time and it's improved things no end.
There, some positivity for you Very Happy
As for Mr Howell's piece, it's been said before that he should be kept away from the media. Embarassed
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by London Town Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:33 pm

Who's in charge of media and publicity at the club?
This really needs to be sorted out, as you couldn't ask for a worse article than this in terms of creating interest and positivity. It also worries me that if this is what he says to the paper, what's he saying to the players in the dressing room? It's so negative. Fine to create 'the worlds against us' attitude if it's channelled into a fighting mentality for the team...e.g. they're all big spenders but lest smash them anyway, but that doesn't appear to be the case, just an acceptance of the status quo and anticipation that this is what you get if this is what we pay....
Obviously lots of truth in what he says, but that's not the way to try and stem the tide of depressing performances (I read from afar) and results....
From a worried exile, here's hoping the bid can kick start soon and move the club forward.

London Town

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluebird Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:14 pm

McCootie will be the next to take more £££ at Frome I reckon. Watch this space.

Bluebird

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:26 am

Where is all this money coming from????
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:57 am

I don't think there is any. Wasn't it just the case Davies wanted less commitment, be with his mate, and be a big fish in a small pond.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:12 pm

I think that it was the suggestion that McCootie would be chasing Frome's money that surprised Oliver.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:I think that it was the suggestion that McCootie would be chasing Frome's money that surprised Oliver.
Yeah, but have Frome actually got any money?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:21 pm

To be honest, I thought that McCootie remark was taking the mick so I don't know. I wouldn't have thought so. I think the Davies move was either a result of him lacking ambition or a rare case of a footballer realising he is out of his depth.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:21 pm

It's the amount of money across the board at this level that surprises me. I'm sure it's all the usual story of borrowing against future success, I'm just surprised it's happening at this level.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Davies was non-contract, McCootie is contracted.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:35 pm

I heard the club have slapped a mere £750,000 on McCootie now! Smile
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:20 pm

How's he going to pay that back?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:28 pm

They have that as insurance on his hamstrings...

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next