Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gosport tonight

+10
stillmanjunior
Luton Roman
Beau Nash
Steve Whites Missus
pete mac
SteveS
Midsomer-steve
comrade powell
Marc Monitor
LB
14 posters

Go down

Gosport tonight Empty Gosport tonight

Post by LB Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Listened to second half commentary - sounded as if we huffed and puffed a lot but were deservedly beaten. Will be interested to hear views of those who were there later.
Very disappointing after the excellent start and the Havant result that things have fallen away so quickly. We need to get something out of Saturday's difficult trip to Maidstone or we could be looking at a record of 3 points from 15 which would make those early points even more important.

LB

Back to top Go down

Gosport tonight Empty Re: Gosport tonight

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:45 pm

We lose away to the fourth place team who are unbeaten at home. It is going to happen. We aren't the "Invincibles".
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:06 am

Very much second best tonight. We seem to reserve our worst for visits to Gosport and we could have no complaints about the result. People will point to the disallowed goal and say we were robbed, but a point would have flattered us in a game where we only woke up in the second half. A bit of a reality check...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:56 am

Disappointing result - but made to seem worse by the baffling tactics that we seem to have slumped into in our last few games - the 'Southern League type up and under' style of play simply doesn't do us any favours; a point echoed by no less than a group of home fans I was standing next to, who thought that we were barmy to employ such a style against them particularly as our forwards (until McCootie came on) were so small.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:00 am

Ah, now that is an issue. We used the same on Saturday starting with Nick and it didn't even work then. There has been no change in personnel that would suggest that would work and we are still more successful playing it on the ground or, if we need to knock it long, we do from midfield into wide channels.

Maybe the conspiracy theory I heard shouted out from the terraces on Saturday - that they have been told not to win as we can't afford to go up - is true.

I joke, of course.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:58 am

At the start of the season my hope was that we would be able to sustain a mid table position taking into account the amount of cash that has been splashed by numerous other clubs in this league and the ongoing issues at the club. Therefore to get a good start and points on the board early in the season has been a bonus in my view.
I hope that we continue to try and keep the ball on the floor as resorting to the long ball lofted forward will just play into the hands of most of the teams in this league.
The game at Bodmin is important, good chance to progress but we will need to be in the right frame of mind.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:45 am

Yes I think we are in a good position. A couple of wins will see us firmly in the top 5......where most of us probably hoped we would be. Lets keep backing the team as this is the first setback (apart perhaps from the Weston draw)

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:18 am

Fortunately last night's was the last of the scheduled midweek matches. It really is time for the league to look at the ridiculous schedule they impose on part time players at the start of each season. I know it's the same for all clubs but we looked jaded again last night and some players did not look up for it in that disappointing first half. Let's hope we are not faced with several cup replays as happened last Autumn. We should be far too good for Bodmin and need to beat them at the first time of asking.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:59 am

Well I'm really looking forward to watching the Maidstone game now.  

We all comment on how City are good when they keep the ball on the floor, so for me it is time to witness whether the 3G pitch suits our best playing style.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:00 am

Yes surely we will put our ball players into this game........

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Baffled by the starting eleven; Davies or Watkins but not both...

Out of this season's squad just six would be in my squad with some of the 2009 to 2011 players. So we don't have a good enough squad this season to win the league, Conference Premier standard is needed for that...play offs maybe.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:35 pm

I think he would really want to start McCootie in every game for his presence, but has he completed 90m this season?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Luton Roman wrote:I think he would really want to start McCootie in every game for his presence, but has he completed 90m this season?

It would be good as is really scaring teams this season. I think he must generally have hamstring issues. He went off in the St Albans game after stopping abruptly and in most matches it looks as if his legs / hips tighten up the more the game goes on.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:Maybe the conspiracy theory I heard shouted out from the terraces on Saturday - that they have been told not to win as we can't afford to go up - is true.

I joke, of course.

The sad thing is there are some people who probably believe that is true.

In terms of tactics, I thought we left ourselves a bit too open and perhaps needed a bit more steel in the team. Leaving out Chas meant we had a lack of aerial presence in the middle, or he could have even been used against someone like Poate for set-pieces, who I thought was near faultless in defence for them. Pratt had to feed off scraps a lot. I wouldn't say it was a case of constant long ball, the players we had in midfield aren't long ball players. Gosport were brilliant at closing us down and forced us into rushed passes which often went astray.

We certainly need to change things radically when we face them again as our record, particularly at that ground, is utterly dismal.

In terms of midweek games, I believe we are scheduled to play them at home later on in the season, but for now I'm looking forward to a break from them. If we draw with Bodmin I will scream (unless it's a last minute equaliser for us).
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:02 pm

While I agree that playing too many games in quick succession isn't great for the players, but it appears I am in a minority of really loving night games, there's something superb about piling into Twerton with the floodlights lighting the way. I also find it breaks the week up nicely.

I admit though, this maybe everyone hating it as they went last night, Basingstoke on a Tuesday I can (and did) do, but Gosport was never on the cards. Is the annoyance with midweeks caused by aways, or am I just odd for liking them?

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm

I love the evening games. Same opinion of walking towards the floodlights.

I don't remember anyone complaining about the Dover replay last season....

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm

Well the low turnout of City fans last underlines how difficult it is to get to away fixtures midweek. Quite why so many more were at Basingstoke I don't know. And of course, it can be really unpleasant watching football on a winter's evening. Last season's at Basingstoke was one of the worst I can remember.

But fans have the choice of attending, players don't. My beef isn't about the playing of the games in the evening, but the 2 games a week mentality which quickly takes hold.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:
I don't remember anyone complaining about the Dover replay last season....

No, of course they didn't but that was a one off cup 1/4 final. People certainly voted with their feet when we entertained Hemel, Farnboro, Bish, Hayes and Ebbsfleet on Tuesday evenings last season with a top crowd of 355. And yes, I accept that most of those were originally scheduled for Saturdays.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:29 pm

comrade powell wrote:Quite why so many more were at Basingstoke I don't know.

I find the drive to Basingstoke much easier than Gosport. Left Bath around half 3 and didn't get there until 6.15, traffic near Gosport was horrific. And perhaps everyone thought another 3-1 defeat was on the cards!
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:55 pm

While I agree that playing too many games in quick succession isn't great for the players, but it appears I am in a minority of really loving night games, there's something superb about piling into Twerton with the floodlights lighting the way. I also find it breaks the week up nicely.

I admit though, this maybe everyone hating it as they went last night, Basingstoke on a Tuesday I can (and did) do, but Gosport was never on the cards. Is the annoyance with midweeks caused by aways, or am I just odd for liking them?

I love them but the reduced attendances and even more reduced spending on food/drink and (I'm guessing) sponsorship does clubs no favours.  Great for replays though.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Been to Gosport for the Cup 3-1 defeat, traffic at that time is horrific, never again.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:11 pm

I've missed the last two games but unfortunately Dave Pratt hasn't. I think he needs a rest. Trying out the Watkins McCootie combo would be interesting.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Midsomer-steve wrote:Disappointing result - but made to seem worse by the baffling tactics that we seem to have slumped into in our last few games - the 'Southern League type up and under' style of play simply doesn't do us any favours; a point echoed by no less than a group of home fans I was standing next to, who thought that we were barmy to employ such a style against them particularly as our forwards (until McCootie came on) were so small.

You've been quiet on here so far this season, Steve.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down