Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Shortwood

+20
miker
pete mac
sean
CityHatcham
SteveBradley
LB
Twerton Parker
BenE
the demon headmaster
Marc Monitor
stillmanjunior
Corstonian
bonzodog
rabbit
yuffie
2weirdtown
Mcnulty
comrade powell
Beau Nash
Luton Roman
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

City v Shortwood Empty City v Shortwood

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Team, Mellor, Ball, Gallinagh, Keary, Simpson, Patten, Watkins, Kington, Addlesbury, Pratt, Hemmings. Subs. McCootie, Stearn, Taylor, Rollo.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City v Shortwood Empty Re: City v Shortwood

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:37 pm

0-1

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:36 pm

2-2. Adders and Chas. Crowd of 641.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:46 pm

City had the lion's share of possession but couldn't make it tell.  Not a game with a lot to talk about, we dropped to their level, a poor performance, too much "hoof" ball...BUT...give the guys credit, after 0-1, 1-2, they didn't give up. Wink
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:11 pm

Or maybe they rose to our level. I thought Shortwood were an excellent team who contributed a lot to an increasingly entertaining game. Most lower level teams would have shut up shop after our 1st equaliser, but they took the game to us and I thought their second had killed us off. What an excellent finish from Big Chas to keep us in it - fully deserved to be mom. Hopefully we will start with the same urgency on Tuesday as we showed for the last 30 minutes today and Shortwood are as flat as Poole were in the 2nd game...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:39 pm

It was a fun game and we did have a lot of chances. I was concerned with the fitness of Gallinagh and Simpson, both looked very vulnerable as the game wore on.
Chas was excellent even before his goal. Have to assume mcCootie was injured as it would have seemed an obvious move to chuck him on with 25 minutes to go.
Credit to shortwood, they made a great game of it and looked very dangerous in the second half. Replay should be a cracker.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Yes, I think it unfair to say Shortwood brought us down to their level.  They knocked out Oxford City from Conf North in the previous round and we all know how well they did in the cup last season.  Their keeper made a couple of great saves and they were a physical well organised side.
Once again I felt Stearn's introduction made a difference and what a cool finish from big Chas. Did Chas put the ball over the line initially for our first goal?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:22 pm

I thought we were in complete control of the game for the first 30 minutes and it looked only a matter of time before we scored. Then from nowhere their first attack of note and it was 0-1.

Understandably this set us back but after they missed a great chance to make it 2-0 it was all us again, however it looked as if it was going to be one of those afternoon's until big Chas came to our rescue - I thought his header had crossed the line before Adelsbury bundled it in. Given how poor Shortwood had been up to then it looked like we would go on to win it but to their credit they went after another goal and when they got it that looked like that.

They were throwing themselves in front of everything until Chas did the business again. Again if anyone was going to score the winner it was us but somehow Shortwood went the closest, hitting the post, which was a very squeaky bum moment and even caused me to utter a small expletive.

Like the Poole game I saw nothing to fear in the replay so hopefully I'll be right again.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:30 pm

Still in it which is the main thing. Sutton lost at home to Burgess Hill, Ebbsfleet to Basingstoke, Boreham Wood held at Frome, and Whitehawk and Chelmsford shared 8 and Bromley face a replay as well which is good as we play them next week, so it was never going to be an easy road to Old Trafford...Lets home there is an incentive in the Monday draw,

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:43 pm

Shortwood were a very decent side, and the biggest bunch of geysers I can remember gracing Twerton Park in a long time!
Chas had his best game for us, but all the team put in a shift, and it was a shame to hear a lot of negative shouting by the usual suspects by the tea hut.
My only criticism is regarding tactics - when we got the equaliser we threw men forward for the winner even though there was 20 minutes to go and we were already in the ascendancy. This led to us being very exposed and resulted in thier equaliser.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by rabbit Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:48 pm

Good game good goal from chas let's win it tuesday

rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:51 pm

Entertaining game for the neutrals. Squeaking bum time for the rest of us. Should win the replay.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:58 pm

Eddie Hitler wrote:Shortwood were a very decent side, and the biggest bunch of geezers I can remember gracing Twerton Park in a long time!

I wouldn't argue with either of those observations - Shortwood is a real misnomer, they had big lads everywhere on the field and their centre-forward was absolutely massive (and not a bad footballer either). I remember 6' 4" Richard Brodie who played against us for York and Crawley in the same season - this guy (Summers?) looked like his big brother. Going to need to cut out their crossing options if we're to win the replay.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:05 pm

Corstonian wrote:
Eddie Hitler wrote:Shortwood were a very decent side, and the biggest bunch of geezers I can remember gracing Twerton Park in a long time!

I wouldn't argue with either of those observations - Shortwood is a real misnomer, they had big lads everywhere on the field and their centre-forward was absolutely massive (and not a bad footballer either). I remember 6' 4" Richard Brodie who played against us for York and Crawley in the same season - this guy (Summers?) looked like his big brother. Going to need to cut out their crossing options if we're to win the replay.
I hope at Shortwood we play a wider formation.
You can't beat a big side playing long balls down the middle.
Get it out wide and get behind them. On Tuesday I feel we need to play Stearn from the off.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:23 pm

yuffie wrote:I thought we were in complete control of the game for the first 30 minutes and it looked only a matter of time before we scored. Then from nowhere their first attack of note and it was 0-1.

Understandably this set us back but after they missed a great chance to make it 2-0 it was all us again, however it looked as if it was going to be one of those afternoon's until big Chas came to our rescue - I thought his header had crossed the line before Adelsbury bundled it in. Given how poor Shortwood had been up to then it looked like we would go on to win it but to their credit they went after another goal and when they got it that looked like that.

They were throwing themselves in front of everything until Chas did the business again. Again if anyone was going to score the winner it was us but somehow Shortwood went the closest, hitting the post, which was a very squeaky bum moment and even caused me to utter a small expletive.

Like the Poole game I saw nothing to fear in the replay so hopefully I'll be right again.

You must see a different game through that lens of yours! Shocked

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:57 pm

I thought Shortwood had a couple of decent players, the centre-back (Jake Lee I think) was superb, and the guy who came on near the end looked useful. Others looked no better than standard players in that league I guess from what I saw occasionally from watching Paulton. The other defenders often opted to hit the ball out for a throw-in in a panic for example.

It felt like we were deliberately standing off the giant Sommers by the end (how we could have done with someone like Walsh against him) as although he's obviously decent in the air, and an ok player, he didn't have the best first touch, so we were able to collect a few of his mis-controls.

I was a bit surprised to see us go so gung-ho after we equalised, seemingly believing they were there for the taking. I didn't think so, I thought they had enough threat about them in attack to nick a winner, and actually feared they would.

A very entertaining game and if we tighten up at the back I think we'll be ok in the replay.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:19 pm

In other news, Hemel stuffed Chippenham 5-0 so means our game with them on 25th is postponed, should we lose our replay.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Can't really argue with anything on here. What I would say is that, standing on the tea bar side, there are some idiots that will slag off Stearn whatever he is doing. He got in a position today where he put the ball into "the corridor of uncertainty" where, unfortunately, the keeper got it first. All I heard is "bloody rubbish" from a certain section who I loudly and robustly remonstrated with. Sure enough, Pratt got into a similar position, with similar results a couple of times, yet it was all "Well done, Pratty". Don't get me wrong, Pratt is a great player and there were people encouraging Stearn. It just feels like, with certain sections of the 'support', Stearn has to do twice what Pratt does to get any credit.

On the other hand, the much-maligned (not least by me) Hemming just has to have a couple of good games and he is forgiven everything. Similarly, Watkins, another player I rate, can't score this season but doesn't get the dog's abuse that Stearn gets. Rightfully so as Watkins' dry spell will end I am sure. He won't start on the bench like Stearn does though.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:21 pm

By the way, the number 9 and 15 for Shortwood were very useful and their first goal was excellent. Fair play to them and they deserve the replay. Obviously, I hope we hammer them.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Victories against Dorchester, Aldershot and Oxford City in the past 12 months suggests that Shortwood know something about how to play cup matches. Man for man, yes we may be stronger, but only a far more determined attitude in the 2nd half prevented us from being added to their list of scalps.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:26 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:Can't really argue with anything on here. What I would say is that, standing on the tea bar side, there are some idiots that will slag off Stearn whatever he is doing. He got in a position today where he put the ball into "the corridor of uncertainty" where, unfortunately, the keeper got it first. All I heard is "bloody rubbish" from a certain section who I loudly and robustly remonstrated with.

Doubt it's just Stearn that gets this abuse. Unfortunately, and I'm sure it's at every club, there are people who will only ever dish out moans/criticism rather than praise.

One of my flatmates was stood near the tea bar. A Rovers fan usually but he ended up buying a City shirt before the game. Brought him along as believed he was a good luck charm by witnessing the Poole replay. Probably have to drag him to Shortwood now.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:Can't really argue with anything on here. What I would say is that, standing on the tea bar side, there are some idiots that will slag off Stearn whatever he is doing. He got in a position today where he put the ball into "the corridor of uncertainty" where, unfortunately, the keeper got it first. All I heard is "bloody rubbish" from a certain section who I loudly and robustly remonstrated with. Sure enough, Pratt got into a similar position, with similar results a couple of times, yet it was all "Well done, Pratty". Don't get me wrong, Pratt is a great player and there were people encouraging Stearn. It just feels like, with certain sections of the 'support', Stearn has to do twice what Pratt does to get any credit.

On the other hand, the much-maligned (not least by me) Hemming just has to have a couple of good games and he is forgiven everything. Similarly, Watkins, another player I rate, can't score this season but doesn't get the dog's abuse that Stearn gets. Rightfully so as Watkins' dry spell will end I am sure. He won't start on the bench like Stearn does though.  

And yet I'm told Big Chas was being slagged off by some Pop side moaners seconds before his marvellous goal. Bet they felt stupid!

But you're right, no player's game is going to be lifted by supporters yelling criticism in his ears. I'm not Stearn's biggest fan, but I try to support him during the game. And for the 2nd game running, his introduction led to a big improvement in our play. But I bet he won't start on Tuesday...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:11 pm

Surprised, Hemmings was getting abuse - I thought he was the best player on the pitch before the goal.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Believe me, sj, it is markedly different with Ross. It does mean that people like myself tend to egg him on more positively but that isn't that point. Stearn also looks visibly pissed off with the abuse. I know that players should rise above these things but there is a difference between a player getting paid thousands a week and our players.

There are players that I haven't felt have been pulling their weight or fulfilling their potential - Low, Adelsbury, Hemmings perhaps - but, during a match, I don't slag them off individually. What's the point? I didn't mind it so much with Cardiff City players as they were getting paid a fortune and, if they were not playing up to their potential, they were wasting money most of us never see. Not only that but, amongst 2000 people in a large ground, you were rarely heard by the players.

I will however take it up with terrace critics who take against a player who, at least, is trying his best and, in the process, giving the team a lot of opportunities.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:55 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:Believe me, sj, it is markedly different with Ross. It does mean that people like myself tend to egg him on more positively but that isn't that point. Stearn also looks visibly pissed off with the abuse. I know that players should rise above these things but there is a difference between a player getting paid thousands a week and our players.

I will however take it up with terrace critics who take against a player who, at least, is trying his best and, in the process, giving the team a lot of opportunities.

It's why at most games if I'm taking photos I'll try and find a spot where there's either next to nobody nearby (fortunately quite easy in Conf South grounds), or those nearby at least offer something constructive. I know we are frustrating to watch sometimes, we're a non-league team with a fairly modest wage bill for goodness sake, we're not going to hammer everyone. But just don't see why some people go along if it irritates them so much. I'd stop going, but maybe that's just me.

I think the last time I stood in amongst a large section of our fans was away at Forest Green in one of our first games back in the Conference. We played ok and drew 0-0 but some were spouting off complaining about every single misplaced pass and whatever. Even happened at Radstock on Monday, one lad at the back (probably aged 16/17) over-hit a ball and some nearby were tutting as if he'd just committed a crime. I don't get it.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next