Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Poole

+11
pete mac
BenE
Skyblue
Eddie Hitler
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
London Calling
Beau Nash
bonzodog
yuffie
Luton Roman
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

City v Poole - Page 2 Empty Re: City v Poole

Post by BenE Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:19 am

Another assist from McCootie
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:43 am

stillmanjunior wrote:My guess is the Radstock game will be academy players plus Jim.

I see next Tuesday's Gosport match is now off to accommodate the precious fixture with Radstock, which has been rearranged for the night before. I'm sure you're correct with your prediction above, so why couldn't we have played at Radstock tonight and Poole tomorrow as the same players won't be involved? I suppose as Gosport have to travel whenever the date is moved to they are not going to be too fussed, but imagine their anger if we had been due to go down there. And some of their fans may have made arrangements like taking time off work to come to the match.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:51 am

I agree, this competition yet again proves more trouble than it's worth and I would have seen no problems in games on consecutive nights, if we're allowed to field a team as weak as I'm suggesting that is. I think we were fined for it before.

My guess is we'll wait and see what happens in our replays. If we lose tomorrow and Gosport lose at home to Larkhall (which is unlikely) we can play them on Saturday 11th. It'd be foolish to re-arrange it for the 14th as there's a chance either of us could have a replay again.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:13 am

I had bought a train ticket to get down for the Gosport game. Wasted money for me. I don't get to see many games but this nonsense stops me from watching the team for a fixture firmly in the list. Not happy.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:40 am

Having had exactly the same experience when the fixture at York was postponed due to it being an international weekend (!), I feel for you, Pete. And for the group who were down to sponsor next Tuesday's match.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:19 pm

comrade powell wrote:Having had exactly the same experience when the fixture at York was postponed due to it being an international weekend (!), I feel for you, Pete. And for the group who were down to sponsor next Tuesday's match.

I had arranged annual leave around the Gosport match.
This has been a recurring problem and one I've commented on before. As this nonsense has a clear financial impact is there really nothing the clubs and league can do to change this lunacy?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:29 pm

2weirdtown wrote:
comrade powell wrote:Having had exactly the same experience when the fixture at York was postponed due to it being an international weekend (!), I feel for you, Pete. And for the group who were down to sponsor next Tuesday's match.

I had arranged annual leave around the Gosport match.
This has been a recurring problem and one I've commented on before.  As this nonsense has a clear financial impact is there really nothing the clubs and league can do to change this lunacy?

Yep I had booked leave for the day before as thought I'd be up until the early hours on the programme. I might cancel it now, depending on whether we win tomorrow.

Had we been home in the SPC I could have probably knocked a programme together in my lunch break.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm told that leaflets were handed out at last week's freshers fair at the uni inviting students to the Gosport match. Hopefully a message can be sent to save them a wasted trip.

You've got to remember, weirdtown, that the county FAs are all powerful in this country. The only way to get the message across about this confounded competition is to treat it with contempt and set out to lose. If every club did this, it just might get the blazers to reconsider the format. The daft thing is that a club like Radstock would presumably prefer to play against City's strongest team - the present format means that is not going to happen as we treat it as an inconvenience. To those intending to go to the game next week, don't!! Rant over (until the next time...)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Though I don't condone it, The Premiership has pushed the FA and FA Cup to the sidelines with their financial muscle. I could advance a case that 'market forces' have thankfully (?) swept the 'FA dinosaurs in blazers' aside and given the public what it wants.
In our case, we the paying customers are being denied access to the goods we wish to purchase by what appears to be a petty bureaucracy or outdated organisation desperately trying to assert itself.
I assume that the County FAs do in fact do an invaluable job in administering minor and local league football but sport has changed and change is needed at this level too.

If we were in the Conf Prem, would we still have to put up with this?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:09 pm

And, no, I have no intention of watching any Somerset Cup games while this idiocy persists. Those who do go are just prolonging it.
So exasperating, stuff like this and postponed Sat league games arranged for Tues that I think I might go back to watching soccer on TV in the relative comfort of the Golden Fleece.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:01 pm

I share the frustration of others re the postponement of the Gosport game. I rarely get to go to midweek games, but as I have the day off on 7th October this was one that I could make. Still, wouldn't want people enjoying a home league game when there is an away Somerset Cup tie to play! Perhaps we should just not bother to turn up at Radstock and have a whip round to pay the fine! I recall that Yeovil were allowed to pull out of the competition last season with no penalty.

As for the Poole game, I think it was probably apparent to most people apart from the referee and his assistant that Mellor was fouled - the frustration is that it should only have been a consolation goal as we should have finished them off well before that. It did occur to me that if they are the best team by far in the Southern Premier there must be some poor teams in that league! Hopefully we can repeat the superiority that we showed for most of the game in the replay - we definitely need to avoid conceding an early goal though.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:16 pm

I think the comments of Poole's manager after the game are quite interesting. He basically admits they were poor and he's relieved they've got a second chance, but he's not sure if they just had an off day or came up against a much better side.

Hopefully, it's the latter and my optimism (rather then over-confidence) is justified.

Am I right in thinking Saturday's game wasn't broadcast on BCIR, so tomorrow won't be either?

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:51 pm

I like many others, am not happy re the Gosport game being rearranged. I'd arranged for 8 mates from work to come and watch the match after work. I was hoping to make this a regular fixture for the Twerton Park midweek games (we all work in Bath), but this kind of cancellation for The Somerset Cup (ridiculous) will only make this more difficult.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 am

yuffie wrote:I think the comments of Poole's manager after the game are quite interesting. He basically admits they were poor and he's relieved they've got a second chance, but he's not sure if they just had an off day or came up against a much better side.

Hopefully, it's the latter and my optimism (rather then over-confidence) is justified.

Am I right in thinking Saturday's game wasn't broadcast on BCIR, so tomorrow won't be either?
Yuffie
Saturday was broadcast, and tonight's should be.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:27 am

Great, thanks Rob.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:58 am

So you're so confident, you're saving your cash for the next round? Shocked
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:34 am

comrade powell wrote:So you're so confident, you're saving your cash for the next round? Shocked
Who....me?
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:46 am

comrade powell wrote:So you're so confident, you're saving your cash for the next round? Shocked

Yep, by the time we reach the 3rd Round proper I'll easily be able to afford my ticket to the Emirates Stadium (assuming my Conference Photo license doesn't get me in free). I may even miss Radstock to save a couple more pounds.

And optimistic rather than confident Cool

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:47 am

A right decision Smile

I hope they don't re-arrange the Gosport game for the 14th, when there's a chance of a cup replay for either side. They're playing Maidenhead in the next round which could easily be a draw.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:35 am

A Pool Town perspective (from their forum):
"To be honest John they were better than us, from back to front they were organised, industrious and they always had an outlet that threatened when they attacked. Up until the goal before the break we were very much in the game without testing their keeper. However in the end the difference between conference and southern league showed, and the second goal showed that, needless free kick given away, decent ball played in which was partly cleared, but their striker had the presence of mind to peel off at the back post and finish very well. Best team won, no complaints"
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2