Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larkhall away in the Cup!

+12
2weirdtown
Derby Brewer
Peter Newman
Steve Whites Missus
City 'til we're relegated
PHILB1973#
LB
kermit
BenE
Luton Roman
Ashley
comrade powell
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Larkhall away in the Cup! - Page 2 Empty Re: Larkhall away in the Cup!

Post by Derby Brewer Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:44 pm

Will it be streamed?!!

Derby Brewer

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:59 pm

Will there be segregation?!!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:20 pm

Well that wasn't what we expected. We got out of jail after a first half that ranked alongside the WSM performance.
You know before you start that this is Larkhall's cup final so you have to start with energy but we were carved open regularly by a side that were pretty decent in possession.
The tackle on Parselle was a shocker and ought to have been red but Jack Batten may have been the last man when he clipped their striker. Their goalie was very good and was unlucky to be on the losing side but Thomas's goal was a rip snorter to clinch a somewhat fortunate win.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:58 pm

Agree totally with every word there Ben. The first half performance was the worst I’ve seen from a City team for many, many years and we were fortunate not to be at least four down at ht. Perhaps the turning point was when the volley incredibly bounced over the bar. Larkhall didn’t really seem to know how to approach the second half and it was only after the excellent winner from Thomas that they started to play again.

Well done to City for turning things around and to everyone at Larkhall for organising the day so efficiently. Despite the result, I hope you enjoyed the occasion.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:16 pm

What happened to the amazing ref from the first half? Did Jerry knobble him on the way to the dressing rooms ;-)

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:42 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:What happened to the amazing ref from the first half? Did Jerry knobble him on the way to the dressing rooms ;-)

I assumed Scott was sat on him.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Steve Whites Missus likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:50 pm

One of the biggest upsets of the round was our conquerors from last season Banbury losing to Nantwich.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:53 pm

Our conquerors last season were that ‘very good team’ Sevenoaks. Banbury was Gerring’s last game.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:37 pm

You are of course correct, I'm getting our cup cock ups mixed up.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:56 pm

God we got away with one yesterday. We could easily been four down at halftime if Wright hadn't saved that one on one and the chip had been a few inches lower, at 4-0 there was no way we were getting back into it.

That being said, second half was a massive turnaround, Hayfield should feel aggrieved if he doesn't get a start next match. Thomas' goal was a worthy winner, and as I said to someone on the way out, there's an argument that was the perfect cup tie. If we'd turned up and steamrolled them like we did in the SPC, the game wouldn't live long in the memory, while yesterday definitely will.

Jon_BOA

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:47 pm

Fitness counted in the second half. (Perhaps they shouldn't have let the grass grow long, it backfired in the end.)
Shock for me was Chippenham losing at home 4-1 to Hungerford.

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Sep 17, 2023 2:19 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:God we got away with one yesterday. We could easily been four down at halftime if Wright hadn't saved that one on one and the chip had been a few inches lower, at 4-0 there was no way we were getting back into it.

That being said, second half was a massive turnaround, Hayfield should feel aggrieved if he doesn't get a start next match. Thomas' goal was a worthy winner, and as I said to someone on the way out, there's an argument that was the perfect cup tie. If we'd turned up and steamrolled them like we did in the SPC, the game wouldn't live long in the memory, while yesterday definitely will.

Agree about Hayfield - every time he has come on as sub he has made a difference. I wonder how long we will continue with the '4-2-4' with just the two midfielders. It is very effective when we have the ball but less so when we don't. Might have to sacrifice one of the attackers and go with more of a '4-3-3' - which we ended up with yesterday - especially against some of the stronger teams.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:54 pm

Hayfield would have rightly expected to be a regular starter after his performances at the end of last season but the new system suits Tom Smith who is transformed.
It is a difficult conundrum because most fans would like two up top but Thomas and Clarke have been our best players so who makes way for a midfield 3?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:05 pm

I'd drop one of Wilson or Cooke in a heartbeat. 1) it gives you an option off the bench that we don't have for forward players currently 2) makes us stronger in midfield 3) you can keep both strikers fresher that way. Wouldn't be adverse to starting them both on the odd occasion, but not every game.

Last edited by Jon_BOA on Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

Jon_BOA

SASCHA likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:56 pm

I have seen the winning goal but no sign of the highlights as yet, or is there ?

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:14 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:I'd drop one of Wilson or Cooke in a heartbeat. 1) it gives you an option off the bench that we don't have for forward players currently 2) makes us stronger in midfield 3) you can keep both strikers fresher that way. Wouldn't be adverse to starting them both on the odd occasion, but not every game.

I'd be surprised if both Cooke and Wilson start tougher up coming away games at Braintree, Tonbridge, and Torquay . Team confidence would indicate starting both at home frequently.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:29 pm

Luton Roman wrote:
Jon_BOA wrote:I'd drop one of Wilson or Cooke in a heartbeat. 1) it gives you an option off the bench that we don't have for forward players currently 2) makes us stronger in midfield 3) you can keep both strikers fresher that way. Wouldn't be adverse to starting them both on the odd occasion, but not every game.

I'd be surprised if both Cooke and Wilson start tougher up coming away games at Braintree, Tonbridge,  and Torquay . Team confidence would indicate starting both at home frequently.

I think it will be about 'horses for courses' and who the opposition are will have a bearing, especially away from home.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:09 am

Spot on LB. A good manager will prove his worth by selecting a team based on which eleven he thinks will stand the best chance of achieving a win, considering the merits of the opposition each week. Jerry does have a superb squad of players this year (despite my well aired views of it being a few bodies short when those damned injuries kick in), and I can see him using them all in turn as the season progresses. I hope that Kieron's leg injury is not serious.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:35 pm

Interesting comments about the makeup of the attack and midfield. As mentioned above, Hayfield should always start. But surely the main issue is the defence, described aptly and correctly on the commentary as shambolic in the first half. I’ve watched every match so far apart from Truro and it wasn’t just Saturday and against Weston that it has looked extremely dodgy. I share Steve’s concerns about Parselle’s injury as he has looked the only defender who has started this season in form. Successful teams are usually built on tight defences, which I thought going into the season we had.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2