Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STOCKPORT COUNTY V LARKHALL 15th January

+5
Luton Roman
stillmanjunior
PHILB1973#
comrade powell
kingswood charlie
9 posters

Go down

STOCKPORT COUNTY V LARKHALL 15th January Empty STOCKPORT COUNTY V LARKHALL 15th January

Post by kingswood charlie Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:09 pm

As a Bath City supporter in exile I intend going to Edgeley Park on Saturday to cheer on the "other" team from Bath. I have never yet seen Larkhall in action, but as they play close to TP and are from the same City they are well worthy of support!  Just wondering if any other City supporters in the Manchester area will be there as well?

I live in Oldham and for my sins watch The Latics, as they slide from being founder members of the Premier League downwards into the Conference.  That is if they are still in existence by the end of this season after a catalogue of financial wrong doings and a succession of rogue owners. And 10 Managers in 4 years!!!!

Anyway, up the City. A play-off spot is still possible.
kingswood charlie
kingswood charlie

Back to top Go down

STOCKPORT COUNTY V LARKHALL 15th January Empty Re: STOCKPORT COUNTY V LARKHALL 15th January

Post by Guest Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:28 pm

Amazing that Larkhall are playing Stockport in a competitive fixture. I would have gone to Plain Ham if it had been a home tie.

I wonder if City have ever played Stockport or Oldham competitively?

Enjoy the game!

Back to top Go down

STOCKPORT COUNTY V LARKHALL 15th January Empty Re: STOCKPORT COUNTY V LARKHALL 15th January

Post by comrade powell Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:10 pm

We've never played Oldham but faced Stockport twice in 2011/12...

http://bathcityfcarchive.x10host.com/report11_18.htm

http://bathcityfcarchive.x10host.com/report11_46.htm
(Yuffie is still writing the report!)

Good luck to The Larks on Saturday.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:25 am

I'm pretty certain that if we had beaten Stoke in that replay we would had been away to Oldham who were still a Premier league side then.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

the demon headmaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:09 am

Yep that’s right.

The first Stockport game was a midweek at Twerton. Their coach driver was unaware of the low bridge so had to drop them near McDonald’s I think. Ended up with a former World Cup and Champions League winner in Didi Hamman having to carry the kit through Twerton High Street.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:22 am

The away fixture in March was the one of the worst performances I've ever seen City produce and I'm not surprised the report isn't up yet. After nearly 10 years existing adjectives don't do it justice, we will have to await new ones !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:32 am

I can’t remember much about the away game as a lot of them blended in that season. We were just out of our depth on and off the pitch. The definition of second season syndrome.

I ended up going a year without seeing us win away in all competitions from Barrow in 2011 to Tamworth in 2012. Missed four aways in between and we won three.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 pm

I think we shipped four in the away game in front of around 4500.  I left before the end and went back to a nearby pub!  We were pretty awful in the home game where County ground us down and took probably the only two clear chances they made.  It was a midweek game as I recall.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:35 pm

The "pride of BA1" Larkhall flag doing the rounds on social media is amusing

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:18 pm

I always remember Colin Peters* and a few others sneaking me into the Odeon, I was under age, to watch "One Million Years BC", with a certain blonde lady starring. Very Happy

*Tall, strong no.9, he was around the club a few years ago when City played a friendly scratch at Plain Ham.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by kingswood charlie Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:39 pm

A great performance by The Larks in a most enjoyable game this afternoon at Edgeley Park. Beaten but certainly not disgraced. If three half chances in the opening half had found their way into the net it might have been a different story. Who knows... Ultimately it was an inability to deal with high crosses into the goalmouth which proved to be their undoing. The near 200 followers from Bath sitting on the popular side certainly made themselves heard during the match and they gave the team a much deserved vociferous ovation at the end. The squad was then applauded off back into the tunnel by home supporters (and by me representing Twerton Park) who appreciated the effort by the 'lower league' team. An afternoon for all the players, supporters and officials to savour and be proud of. Especially the Club Treasurer with a few bob extra in the Club coffers! Well done to you all.
kingswood charlie
kingswood charlie

comrade powell, Beau Nash, SteveBradley and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Park Magic Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:05 pm

Good to hear from Our Man in Oldham again. Hope you’re keeping well. I saw a Stockport vs Bristol Rovers Cup replay in the 1960s. Took me most of evening to find ground and dont remember anything about the game, even the result.
On coaches, I watched Larkhall - Havant cup game a few seasons back. They brought a Supersized show off team coach and couldn’t get up the Lane. So they had to walk, and it is STEEP. Nice to have a heart warming story or two on a bad weekend for the City team.

Twerton Park Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:32 pm

Twerton Park Magic wrote:Good to hear from Our Man in Oldham again. Hope you’re keeping well. I saw a Stockport vs Bristol Rovers Cup replay in the 1960s. Took me most of evening to find ground and dont remember anything about the game, even the result.
On coaches, I watched Larkhall - Havant cup game a few seasons back. They brought a Supersized show off team coach and couldn’t get up the Lane. So they had to walk, and it is STEEP. Nice to have a heart warming story or two on a bad weekend for the City team.

Was at that too. Got talking to a few of their young subs, who were watching the game from the fencing overlooking the pitch where the fans were. Asked them how much their players were paid, and after a quick discussion between themselves they said something like about £700 a week - with from memory one guy on about £1,000 ! Shocked And this was 2015.

They only managed a draw at Plain Ham too that day Very Happy

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down