Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hungerford thread

+13
City 'til we're relegated
Colin Voutt
Notters
Steve Whites Missus
2weirdtown
tovid
SASCHA
BenE
pete mac
Rodney
Luton Roman
PHILB1973#
comrade powell
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hungerford thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Hungerford thread

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:22 pm

BenE wrote:I don't remember anyone ever being sent off for time wasting no matter how persistent. Goalies know the most they are ever going to get is a fine so calculate it is well worth the effort.
A yellow card is no deterent at all. Possibly refs know that and merely add on lots of time instead, although yesterday's didn't. Did he even speak to any of their players for kicking the ball away?

Agreed about yesterday's ref.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:47 am

Finally found the highlights on You Tube. They certainly looked livelier, Wright produced some good saves, we looked a bit sluggish, the pen at the end? difficult to see if Fletch found the leg he was looking for.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:50 pm

I agree it looks less convincing than it first appeared live.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:48 pm

If the ref had cautioned Fletcher at the time I wouldn’t have questioned it. I would have taken the view that he’s much closer and saw it as a dive. I am sure he knows deep down he’s made a mistake - it’s a dive or a foul, it isn’t neither.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:49 pm

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:52 pm

Been thinking of posting on these lines for sometime but the time wasting by the Hungerford keeper really brought it back to mind.
It is obvious when sides are time wasting and am sure we have done it as many times as the opposition. What is annoying is that the tactic is is obvious to the crowd but refs seem totally unwilling to take any action until the last few minutes.
Perhaps the referees should indicate to an assistant/4th official to talke a note of the time wasted.
We would end up with 2 elements of additional time. The first being time addded for injury and substitutions etc and the second for wasted time.
The first element would be played as an automatic requirement. The time wasting element would be offered to the captain of the side that has been the impacted the most by the wasted time.
As an example Hungerford's time wasting might have been recorded as 5 minutes and perhaps had we been given the penalty and scored so managed to waste 1 minute after.
After playing the automatic element the referee could have offered to the captain of the side owed the net time wasted 4 minutes to carry on playing. Obviously in the example situation the answer would be no but in a different situation so would be the decision.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:45 am

Excellent article. I am tired of hearing managers blame bad results, all or partially, on referees.

City 'til we're relegated

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:22 am

What about supporters too?

I’m refereeing a game Sunday morning, something I do sparingly. I am not spending a penny to get qualified knowing that to progress I’ll have to endure the levels of abuse from some on the terraces (at any club, not singling us out) from people that think it’s acceptable. The Western League is pretty toxic despite various appeals to sort it out. It’ll never change, I don’t think the sinbin introduction has changed things despite it being a good idea.

And a few clubs have a lot to answer for. I was sent screenshots of Concord’s Twitter from Tuesday night where they’ve used their official account to single out the referee from the game, effectively saying he cost them the match. There was fury at the two yellow cards. They are both the clearest yellow cards I’ve seen in a while, teammate has let his side down. Other accounts are just as bad if not worse. Before people say I shouldn’t read it, I try and avoid it but it’s usually the quickest way to obtain stats/info ahead of commentaries. Wish it wasn’t.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:40 am

The International rules board has just decided not to pursue a trial to have a 60 minute ball in play. Bit like rugby, basketball etc where time can stop for various reasons. Some games can go below 50 minutes ball in play time which is ridiculous.  I'm sure a trial will happen at some stage cos time wasting is becoming an art form.

When I reffed in the parks I tried to establish the keepers normal actions at say goal kicks, then if they significantly changed if his team was leading to take action. Difficult in reality, they are allowed to take kicks from anywhere in 6 yard area.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:02 pm

Given that keepers holding the ball for no more than 6 seconds is still a current law then simply making refs enforce it would immediately solve a large part of time-wasting. Especially if the time started immediately they had control of the ball, so they can still drop to the ground for no reason (like Hungerford's did early in the 2nd half) but then only have six seconds to get back up and release the ball.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:09 pm

Constantly changing things never makes an improvement whether its football rules, office reorganisation or cabinet reshuffles.
They have tinkered with the rules so often that all that is left is confusion. Handball used to be quite clear - either it was deliberate or it wasn't.
What they have done is undermine the refs so that they are more open to questioning and hence abuse.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:10 pm

Like many supporters I thought the 6 second rule was dispensed with.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:11 pm

But great to see you posting again yuffie.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:35 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
And a few clubs have a lot to answer for. I was sent screenshots of Concord’s Twitter from Tuesday night where they’ve used their official account to single out the referee from the game, effectively saying he cost them the match.

Considering that the National League are like the world's harshest regimes when dealing with other transgressions how do clubs get away with this sort of thing? Whether it be online comments on official platforms or interviews with managers, respect for the League's match officials has gone out of the window.
comrade powell
comrade powell

stillmanjunior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2