Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hartley Wintney thread

+10
Dave
stillmanjunior
Midsomer-steve
Rodney
Beau Nash
LB
BenE
Luton Roman
PHILB1973#
comrade powell
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hartley Wintney thread Empty Hartley Wintney thread

Post by comrade powell Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:22 pm

We're long overdue a decent Cup run so let's hope we can take advantage of a favourable draw on Saturday.

Nice to be playing a new club and you can find out about it at their excellent website which puts some in NLS to shame...

https://www.hartleyfc.com/index.php
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Hartley Wintney thread Empty Re: Hartley Wintney thread

Post by PHILB1973# Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:58 am

Being honest with you as we are at home I think this will be another Shaftesbury but it's the next Banbury I'm worried about.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:02 am

PHILB1973# wrote:Being honest with you as we are at home I think this will be another Shaftesbury but it's the next Banbury I'm worried about.
As it turned out Banbury were very good last season and won the league by a big margin, but we were poor on the day.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:00 pm

'Poor' doesn't cover it.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:30 pm

Banbury were the most northerly side in the southern section of the 4QR draw and already going well when we played them - hopefully we have a bit more about us if we come across similar opponents this time.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:19 pm

We couldn’t really have asked for better than three draws against lower level opponents. It was a great opportunity to get to the first round but we never turned up on the day and would probably have lost to a worse side than Banbury. Still that’s all in the past and this really is going to our year!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Midsomer-steve likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:32 am

'Following the entertaining win against Weymouth, City welcome Hartley & Wintney to Twerton Park...' from the website preview.

Hope they don't paste that up in their dressing room, 'they don't even know who we are lads, lets show em'.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:11 pm

Luton Roman wrote:'Following the entertaining win against Weymouth, City welcome Hartley & Wintney to Twerton Park...' from the website preview.

Hope they don't paste that up in their dressing room, 'they don't even know who we are lads, lets show em'.

A lot more here - https://www.bathcityfc.com/next-match-hartley-wintney-fa-cup-home - despite their cup pedigree I would expect City to win comfortably;  if not will we see calls of "Gill out"? Twisted Evil lol!
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:12 pm

No match or ball sponsorship today and the commercial manager is watching spurs.again. who employed this bloke? Is he not interested....
BRING BACK BOB.

Rodney

Midsomer-chris, Midsomer-steve, threeday week and Steve Whites Missus like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:13 pm

Congratulations to Hartley Wintney on "winning" two pay days.

City used to turn over higher placed clubs so when a lower placed club almost does it to City there can be no complaints.

From what I have read, I wasn't there today, City had another, like the Weymouth game, poor second half... pale

Thought ought to be given as to how to get hundreds of City supporters to the replay? scratch
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:28 pm

It looked like someone had put mogadon in the half time oranges. Surprised we didn't try more substitutions.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:56 pm

Re subs, I guess from the hot weather aspect. But we were coasting to victory until their first goal. That gave them the momentum and I wasn’t surprised they went on to draw level. A well organised team with an excellent keeper but showed very little going forward for two thirds of the game.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:47 pm

The sub problem is that two of our best ‘impact subs’ - Tom and Elliott - were actually in the starting line up! Apart from Wilson - who I assume was still carrying his injury from Tuesday - was there anyone who could have come on and made a difference? Manning hasn’t had even one minute as sub, so putting him on might have been a gamble. Were the two Bristol City loanees not available again, as I think you can have more than 5 in this competition and Bell might have at least livened things up.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:16 pm

Six clubs from our league were knocked out today, Concord, Dartford and Tonbridge to lower level opponents.
The good news for us is that if we fail to reach the 4QR our league trip to Concord on that day will go ahead, as will the one to Tonbridge on R1 day.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:13 pm

Wasn't there but listening to a subdued JG interview he highlights the 1 clean sheet in 9 games as a concern. Also ineffective midfield control. Cooke and Fletcher on fire thankfully, but midfield also not contributing goals, just the 2.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:26 pm

There are new faces in the midfield but for me it remains the weak area of the team. Thank goodness for Cooke and Fletcher staying fit and being such a reliable source of goals.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:26 pm

I hate to say it but I think the midfield looked better when Luke Spokes was starting instead of Tom Smith. Tom obviously gives us attacking options but I felt both today and on Tuesday that we got a bit overrun like we did often last season.
It is a bit worrying that we have to rely on Cody and Alex for the goals at the moment, and we don’t look like not conceding, but we shouldn’t let today detract from what has been a good start overall.
Today reminded me of the Shortwood game from a few seasons back when a Chaz Hemmings goal salvaged a 2-2 draw and we won the replay easily. Hopefully Tuesday will see a repeat of that and not the various Ill fated attempts to get past Gosport!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:47 am

Beau Nash wrote:Congratulations to Hartley Wintney on "winning" two pay days.

City used to turn over higher placed clubs so when a lower placed club almost does it to City there can be no complaints.

From what I have read, I wasn't there today, City had another, like the Weymouth game, poor second half... pale

Thought ought to be given as to how to get hundreds of City supporters to the replay? scratch

You're having a laugh Rob - after the game today we had four who wanted to go by coach next Tuesday!

As LB said - where were the two Bristol City subs? - Zak could well have torn them apart.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:30 am

Jerry mentioned in the pre-match that they were playing at Reading for their u23s to guarantee some game time. I’m surprised people mind given the strange resentment of loans in the past.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:08 am

Midsomer-steve wrote:You're having a laugh Rob - after the game today we had four who wanted to go by coach next Tuesday!

As LB said - where were the two Bristol City subs? - Zak could well have torn them apart.

Jerry has said a vociferous support helps the players;  could the club offer a special deal for supporters to travel by coach, say £10 including admission to the game?
In the after match interview Jerry said the players will be working all day; is there some way for them to be given a day off?

Would Joe Raynes be better in central midfield, just for this one game, I appreciate he favours right back, to give more control? Could Jack Batten play in a back three?

Lots to consider... Idea
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:11 am

I’m also surprised about the fuss concerning the loanees as I thought we were told they were making up the numbers rather than being an integral part of the squad as in previous seasons.
What I do find strange that even yesterday we didn’t see Mannings come off the bench. He hasn’t kicked a ball yet.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:34 am

Beau Nash wrote:
Jerry has said a vociferous support helps the players;  could the club offer a special deal for supporters to travel by coach, say £10 including admission to the game?
In the after match interview Jerry said the players will be working all day; is there some way for them to be given a day off?

'Including admission to the game' - so a completely free coach? Who's paying...? Could you?

'given a day off' - how? It's not in our hands as a Club. The players that are otherwise employed will be in the same boat as supporters, asking their bosses for time off, and probably on Tuesday morning at the earliest opportunity. The self-employed among the squad will be balancing whether to sacrifice earnings and let down clients.

Dave

comrade powell, stillmanjunior and PHILB1973# like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:39 pm

I thought the intention this season was that we would have a larger squad with the loan players, as someone else has said, 'making up the numbers'. Yesterday the bench consisted of three fit outfield players, one of who hasn't played a single minute this season - and wasn't even in the squad when the loan players were available - and a goalkeeper, almost shades of last season.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:53 am

stillmanjunior wrote: Jerry mentioned in the pre-match that they were playing at Reading for their u23s to guarantee some game time. I’m surprised people mind given the strange resentment of loans in the past.

Interesting news Mark. I am not surprised that they are 'guaranteeing some game time' in this way, but I am surprised that they have not been given a chance to integrate more fully with our 'regulars' yet, as I still believe we are short of bodies. It would be so sad if a few of our players were unable to play because of injury during the winter months, and we had to enlist short term loanees. And before someone mentions it, I am aware that we have probably spent all of our budget on the fine quality we possess, but I am fearful of what happens to players in general when the bad weather comes.
Personally, I welcome longer term loanees, as they can prove to be valuable to the squad through being treated as full squad members - unlike one-month loans which, to my mind, only benefits their parent Club, as it usually takes them time to a) get match fit, and b) integrate with the rest of the team.

Last edited by Midsomer-steve on Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:05 am

comrade powell wrote: I'm also surprised about the fuss concerning the loanees as I thought we were told they were making up the numbers rather than being an integral part of the squad as in previous seasons.

News to me Martin - inside information!?
One thing is for sure - if we do sustain injuries in those cold winter months, our two loanees may well need to play a major part - so wouldn't it be best to integrate them into the team as best as we can now, without barely spoiling the continuity of fielding a consistent team? I would rate this task of being one of Jerry's more important jobs of the season.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next