Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (2)2 Hartley Wintney (0)2

2 posters

Go down

Bath City (2)2  Hartley Wintney (0)2 Empty Bath City (2)2 Hartley Wintney (0)2

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:52 pm

Bath City failed to capitalise on a two-goal interval lead as Southern League Premier South Division outfit Hartley Wintney fought back to level matters in the second half in this FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round encounter. The sides will now need to resolve matters in the replay on Tuesday evening in Hampshire.

The first effort on goal came from the bright orange clad visitors in the 5th minute when Zidan Akers’ effort from outside the box flew past Joe Wright’s near post. Two minutes later, strong City penalty appeals were waved away by the referee Mr. Ruebyn Ricardo after Cody Cooke appeared to be pushed to the ground when challenging for an Elliott Frear cross.

Cooke tried his luck with a curling shot in the 14th minute that went wide of the far post, and the same player hooked another shot over the crossbar from 10 yards out after a corner kick had eventually fallen to him. Tom Smith also saw his effort deflected into the air, but Hartley keeper Adam Desbois was able to save under his bar.

Whilst the hosts were generally on top, the away side were enjoying their share of possession. Akers had a 31st minute shot deflected for a corner and, two minutes later, his angled drive was held by Wright at the foot of his near post. However, it was City that took the lead on 34 minutes when Cooke latched on to a through ball and drove his shot against the far post. Alex Fletcher reacted the quickest to score from close range despite the efforts of a defender on the goal-line.

A ferocious volley from 25 yards by Matt Drage warmed Wright’s palms, but Bath doubled their advantage two minutes before the interval. A slick move concluded with Smith’s slide rule pass into Cooke’s path, the striker taking the ball in his stride before firmly slotting into the bottom corner of the net beyond the advancing Desbois.

There was still time remaining in the first half for Wintley skipper Harry Cooksley to fire in an angled drive that was well saved low down by Wright.

The opening exchanges after the break took place largely in midfield areas, with City being content to sit back and attempt to catch the visitors on the break. Luke Spokes came on for Frear in the 64th minute and, thereafter, The Row became generally more dominant. Despite this, Cooke had an excellent chance to put the game beyond Hartley on 69 minutes when he raced through on goal. He tried to round Desbois, but the keeper made a crucial save at the forward’s feet. Within a minute, the lead had been halved as Wright’s excellent initial saw the ball run loose to Kingsley Eshun, who found the back of the net from 6 yards out.

City responded with a run and shot from Fletcher that brought another good save from Desbois, but the scores were level in the 76th minute. Substitute Anis Nuur unleashed an unstoppable drive into the top corner of the net from 25 yards that gave Wright no chance whatsoever.

This turn of events stung the hosts into action, and Desbois was called upon to turn Fletcher’s angled shot round the near post and, from the resulting corner, Jordan Dyer’s firm header was straight at the goalkeeper.

The home pressure continued with Joe Raynes firing wide of the target from inside the box, and Cooke’s effort from 15 yards was held low down by Desbois.

As the game entered stoppage time, Cooksley struck the outside of Wright’s side-netting with a freekick from the left, but the final chance fell to City. Dan Hayfield’s deep cross found Cooke beyond the far post, but the striker’s looping header back across goal dropped just wide.

This was a match that City should have won comfortably, but credit must be given to Hartley Wintney for their fight and determination in closing a two-goal deficit. They certainly had the balance of possession after the break and Jerry Gill’s men were forced to defend for long periods. There is no doubt that the replay will be an equally tough assignment and The Romans will need to be at their best to secure a place in the next round.

Bath City: Joe Wright, Joe Raynes, Jordan Dyer, Kieran Parselle, Dan Greenslade, Dan Hayfield, Chris Lines, Elliott Frear (Luke Spokes 64), Tom Smith, Alex Fletcher, Cody Cooke. Subs not used: Ryan Clarke, Jack batten, Scott Wilson, Rex Mannings.

Hartley Wintney: Adam Desbois, Tom Leggett, Reese Jones, Toby Nevile, Matt Drage, George Spiers, Zidan Akers, Youel Emmanuel, Aaron McLeish-White, Harry Cooksley, Davey. Subs: Aaron Goode, Rahzir Smith-Jones, Jayden Hutchings, Anis Nuur, Kingsley Eshun, Killian Barrett.

Referee: Mr. Ruebyn Ricardo

Attendance: 857
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Posts : 291
Join date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Bath City (2)2  Hartley Wintney (0)2 Empty Re: Bath City (2)2 Hartley Wintney (0)2

Post by BenE Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:43 pm

Perfectly summed up.
Noor's goal was an absolute belter. All of their subs spent their time both before the game and at half time on shooting practice. I'm not surprised that two subs scored for them and I have a sneaking suspicion that was their game plan. Fortunately for us we broke through their rearguard twice in the first half which gave us sufficient cushion.

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2014-02-11

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum