Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jerry Gill??

+11
kermit
threeday week
Peter Newman
SteveS
Midsomer-steve
Tapper80
LB
Dusty Lynfield
tovid
stillmanjunior
PSJRoman
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jerry Gill?? Empty Jerry Gill??

Post by PSJRoman Tue May 28, 2019 2:18 pm

PSJRoman

Back to top Go down

Jerry Gill?? Empty Re: Jerry Gill??

Post by stillmanjunior Tue May 28, 2019 2:45 pm

It's on another thread. I find it hard to take the odds seriously - in one list they've still got Danny Searle (just gone to Aldershot), Scott Bartlett (just gone to Weston) and Steve Evans (just gone to Gillingham). Where have they come up with those prices?

My guess with the Jerry one is a few people have put a few quid on it, therefore the bookies think as he's an ex-Yeovil player and money has come in, it makes him a dead cert. Similar things happen at horse racing - a few of my mates put a couple of quid on a horse because of the name, its price started at 40/1. It gradually reduced as others presumably had the same idea, and by the start it was something ridiculous like 3/1. It lost by a mile.

As with the Cheltenham link, Jerry hasn't said anything, neither have the club. Nothing happened then. It's flattering for him to be (rightly) linked with jobs for teams up the ladder. I'm not panicking yet.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by PSJRoman Tue May 28, 2019 4:00 pm

I hope that`s the case in this instance Mark, I`m sure Jerry is ambitious, but I would like to think he will be with us for the next season or two.

Ps. Best wishes for the future, you have done a great job for City over many years.

PSJRoman

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Wed May 29, 2019 1:48 pm

Presumably Jerry is aware of the ongoing issues at Yeovil and will be wary. Although it doesn't seem to influence many managers within football who regularly take on thankless jobs that can only ruin their reputation.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri May 31, 2019 8:17 am

The second favourite, according to the odds, is Gavin Williams. In the last two seasons he’s led Merthyr to 17th and 13th in the league below us. Maybe he’s had his hands tied (remember them fielding an entire academy side once), I don’t know, it’s hardly a sparkling CV. What’s the difference between him and say the manager of Banbury or other mid-tables sides from that level? Williams is a former Yeovil player.

The odds haven’t changed in over a week. We’ve signed a player in that time. I really don’t think every bookies is advertising it front of shop and I haven’t seen it thrown at me on Sky Sports every two minutes. Side note - thought gambling advertising on telly was to be banned? I wish.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:41 pm

Yeovil Town have issued another statement concerning the possible change in ownership and manager appointment.... statement is as follows:
"As reported, the club has been carrying out discussions with a number of shortlisted parties to potentially buy the club. To be fair to all three consortiums we have today agreed to extend our deadline for selecting the successful offer and a decision will be made next week. A choice of possible first-team managers acceptable to all the parties has been identified, however, and final interviews for the post are happening early next week. This means a manager can be appointed before the ownership situation is clarified. An update on the ownership and first-team manager situation will be made by no later than Wednesday next week"

Seems strange that potential managers are being interviewed without knowing 100% who will be taking over the club, budget, etc.

At least we’ll know whether this thread was indeed a red herring by Wednesday....
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:10 pm

I agree seems strange that a manager might be prepared to commit himself to the job without knowing who will be running the club but they do seem to be strange times at Yeovil at the moment.

Hopefully it will be resolved by Wednesday so that if Jerry does go we can get on with the task of finding a replacement and signing some players as the first friendly is only 6 weeks away. Oh and by the way, Steve King is available...

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Tapper80 Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:36 pm

The fact we have not heard much from the club suggests to me that Jerry is going (I could be wrong) but last off season was so much more positive with signings and Jerry engaging with the press. The silence is worrying. Hope I’m wrong but hope the board have done their due diligence and have the next man lined up- please not Owers again!!!!!

Tapper80

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:56 am

Why all the conjecture when Jerry has signed a three year contract with us? Gary can have Yeovil's job,
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:29 am

I don't know what is going on but hopefully this matter will be resolved one way or another this week. Now days contracts seem to mean very little, we got compensation when Owers moved to Torquay.
I find it a bit worrying that there has not been much news on the playing front when there are several gaps to fill and the position on some of the existing players does not seem to have been clarified. Does anyone know the situation with Andy Watkins and Ryan Brunt for instance? Have I missed something?
I think Ross Stearn was signed on a 2 year contract last summer so he should be staying. I see Weston have signed Ben Whitehead from Cirencester. He has had a fantastic scoring record over the past 2 seasons and is someone I would have thought we would have been looking at. I know Cirencester is 2 leagues below but it is the same level Adam Mann was playing at and he had no problems making the step up.
I think Jerry has been on holiday recently so hopefully news on signings soon but we don't want to be in the position of looking for a new manager with pre season approaching.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Signing for WSM means he is only stepping up 1 level. We signed someone, a year ago, who had an excellent scoring record one level below.
I think it is always a bit of a gamble but after last year perhaps we are extra wary this time.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:17 pm

If JG is on contract then the club have to give any interested parties permission to speak to him, have they? Could someone ask?

threeday week

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:44 pm

Nah.......the Green Slime stitched us up last time when they sold Jerry to Birmingham City and reneged on the agreed sell on clause.
If.....and I really mean if......JG goes there, let's take the bast.rds to the cleaners, or High Court, or whilst we can, the Haque!!
Let's do the bast.rds over.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:06 pm

Then get Steve King. He's a winner but doubt we could afford him.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:58 pm

Steve King has consistently done well in this league, without ever getting promoted out of it (as far as I am aware). However, he has always had oversized budgets for the team he manages (I know this was the case with Welling and to a lesser degree with Whitehawk).
He wouldn't want to come here and work with the kind of budget Jerry has done so well with...but more importantly, City wouldn't want him...he is the antithesis of what we are trying to do as a Community Club.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by PSJRoman Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:25 pm

The Bookmakers now have Jerry at the ridiculous odds of between 1/3 on or on one site 1/4 on with his nearest rival a 6/1 shot. This tells me that either they know something we don`t know, or somebody has placed big money (with confidence??) on JG getting the job. Slightly ominous as the bookies don`t often get it that wrong.
Also, unlike the weather, news regarding players seems to have dried up somewhat, with now just four weeks to the first pre-season friendly. Now I don`t want to go full Corporal Jones, but I am starting to feel slightly uneasy about things, - should I be?

PSJRoman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:10 pm

I agree with PSJ Roman; with the first friendly, and indeed the season itself, rapidly approaching I think we do need to be concerned.

The ‘will JG go to Yeovil or not’ saga has gone on much too long. He has a contract with City, so presumably we had to give Yeovil permission to speak to him - if so, why not come out and say so. If he has no intention of going there he could simply distance himself from the whole thing. The silence from him and the club can only be seen as ominous.

The frustrating thing is that we appear to have been dancing to Yeovil’s tune over this and if Jerry does go and leave us with no manager and half a dozen players we are going to be the losers even if we do get compensated financially. I have reached the point where I don’t really care which way it goes, just get it sorted.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Les.....are you talking about Brexit now!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Dusty Lynfield wrote:Steve King has consistently done well in this league, without ever getting promoted out of it (as far as I am aware).  However, he has always had oversized budgets for the team he manages (I know this was the case with Welling and to a lesser degree with Whitehawk).
He wouldn't want to come here and work with the kind of budget Jerry has done so well with...but more importantly, City wouldn't want him...he is the antithesis of what we are trying to do as a Community Club.

He won the league with Lewes in 2008 and was sacked straight afterwards. Lewes went down a year later, finished bottom by a mile.

He probably has one of the highest win percentages in the division, but something doesn't add up. He's departed Whitehawk twice, after each time they appointed someone internal, cut the budget and predictably struggled. They've just suffered another relegation.

And having just parted company with Welling, they've put their owner in charge and signalled their intentions to be a top 10 side next season, rather than promotion contenders. Budget has been cut.

It suggests he convinces boards to go all out and pay money for immediate success, then if it doesn't come (think he's lost two play-off finals) deal with it after. Obviously he has something more about him than that, some of his antics have irritated me but Welling played us off the park at Twerton without any gamesmanship or anything. I just wouldn't want him in charge of a long-term project.

Last I heard we still had a manager anyway, so I won't be suggesting any names.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Vacuous statement from the Y:
“As envisaged in the update last Friday, the Club still expects the new owner and manager positions to be clarified this week and talks remain ongoing with the remaining parties bidding for the club.
Further updates will be issued when possible.”
100% agree with LB...this will he, won’t he go saga is doing my head in.
Need to hear something from Jerry or the Club.....this is not helping kick on from a great season last year.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm

kermit wrote:Les.....are you talking about Brexit now!

Well...

The way the takeover negotiations are going at Yeovil I am not sure they will be sorted out by the end of October either!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzo dog Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Kermit, the only thing this club has ever taken to the cleaners was a suit they found in the cupboard under the stairs.
As for the lack of comments from the club on JG, it wouldn't hurt to say if he's been given permission to talk to the y. Not good after all the positivity from last season.
bonzo dog
bonzo dog

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:21 pm

Midsomer-steve wrote:Why all the conjecture when Jerry has signed a three year contract with us? Gary can have Yeovil's job,

So will the latest 'player news' at https://www.bathcityfc.com/player-news-36/ put an end to the silly season conjecture? Have Yeovil officially expressed any interest in him at any time?

2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:16 pm

I would like to think we have heard the end of this but I fear it is going to drag on into next week.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:58 pm

2weirdtown wrote:
Midsomer-steve wrote:Why all the conjecture when Jerry has signed a three year contract with us? Gary can have Yeovil's job,

So will the latest 'player news' at https://www.bathcityfc.com/player-news-36/ put an end to the silly season conjecture?  Have Yeovil officially expressed any interest in him at any time?

Sticking to the player theme, I haven't looked back through last year entirely but we signed Ross Stearn at the end of May, Ryan Brunt one day before pre-season restarted (30th June) and Adam Mann and Robbie Cundy a couple of days before that. I only know those four for certain as I have the photos saved. Was a lot warmer than now, too... So it's not uncommon to sign a few others after mid-June. Ryan Clarke and John Mills had arrived before but we were still not close to a full squad. Some contracts were still undecided I'm sure.

I guess it's hard to publicise 'so and so has committed for next season', until they sign on the dotted line. It makes other clubs aware 'oh, they're not under contract' and they could try and sneak in. And we had one player that did commit, Anthony Straker, but has moved on. I don't hold that against him by the way, completely understandable.

I'm sure it'll all be fine.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next