Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre season friendlies

+11
City 'til we're relegated
yuffie
Marc Monitor
LB
BenE
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
Beau Nash
comrade powell
pete mac
Luton Roman
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Pre season friendlies - Page 2 Empty Re: Pre season friendlies

Post by BenE Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:16 pm

comrade powell wrote:
yuffie wrote:I think the most important thing to note is that if England finish second in their group they could be playing in the quarters at the same time as the Reading game.

I'd wager that there's more chance of seeing me at the Reading match than England in the quarters.
What would your last 8 be?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:34 pm

comrade powell wrote:
yuffie wrote:I think the most important thing to note is that if England finish second in their group they could be playing in the quarters at the same time as the Reading game.

I'd wager that there's more chance of seeing me at the Reading match than England in the quarters.

Gareth Southgate will be pinning that quote up on the dressing room wall.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:27 pm

BenE wrote:
comrade powell wrote:

What would your last 8 be?

As a firm believer that we should post in the relevant section Wink I've started a new world cup thread here...

https://bathcityfc.forumotion.co.uk/t2035-world-cup-2018
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:45 pm

I agree that talk of England's prospects in the world cup should be in another forum. Having said that, I think that plucky England may get to the semi-finals of a major competition this century.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:50 pm

yuffie wrote:
comrade powell wrote:

Gareth Southgate will be pinning that quote up on the dressing room wall.

I think if England win their group, then brush aside whoever stands in their way twice, the semi-final will clash with Keynsham away.

Not forgetting the third-place play-off kicking off at the same time as our Bristol City friendly.

I don't think we've started a pre-season whilst England were still involved in a major tournament. That includes starting as early as 2nd July two years ago, a few days after the Iceland loss.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:38 am

I think you're probably correct there. The good book doesn't list our friendlies for the summer of 66, when the WC final was played on 30 July, but our league season didn't ko until 20 August and we rarely played more than a couple of warm ups in those days.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:49 am

And our heroes' two other storming tournaments in 1990 and 96 saw us go home long before the friendlies started. So that's another thing Southgate can pin up in the dressing room...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:25 pm

The friendlies will be a farce and what team features then will bear no relationship to the start of the season, because only post the WC will JG swoop into the transfer market and compile a squad made up of players who are a surprise package in Russia.

I fully expect a Mr Raheem Sterling to be leading our front line once he demonstrates that for the national team he can't hit a barn door from 12 paces and his club manager realises that his value will plummet; that's when JG snaps him up.
Problem with that is a Sterling, Watkins, Stearn front line where is our height? I wonder if Peter Crouch is available?

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 pm

I think Sterling has already proved he can't hit a barn door. 38 caps, 2 goals.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:07 pm

BenE wrote:I don't buy this exhaustion nonsense. They play one maybe two 90 minute games per week for which they do nothing else all week but prepare for. I wish I could be that exhausted.

Bunch of prima donnas.

For the first time in years, the FA agree with me...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/08/winter-break-to-come-into-force-in-premier-league-england
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm willing to bet that the clubs will take the opportunity to play lucrative matches abroad, hence increasing the poor darling's workload.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:40 pm

I agree with you there!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:37 am

turnstyle13 wrote:The friendlies will be a farce and what team features then will bear no relationship to the start of the season, because only post the WC will JG swoop into the transfer market and compile a squad made up of players who are a surprise package in Russia.  

I fully expect a Mr Raheem Sterling to be leading our front line once he demonstrates that for the national team he can't hit a barn door from 12 paces and his club manager realises that his value will plummet; that's when JG snaps him up.
Problem with that is a Sterling, Watkins, Stearn front line where is our height? I wonder if Peter Crouch is available?

Perhaps Axel can put in a word for us with this lad?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44418791

"Explaining his desire for a fresh challenge and an exit from the UK, the centre-half said: "It's just the way football is played; they need to get with the times. They need to pass more and try to keep the ball. The teams I've played for, it's been too hectic. It's just launching the ball forward as far as you can and trying to head the ball as far as you can."

He's clearly not heard about the Bath City Way!!
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2