Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pre season friendlies

+11
City 'til we're relegated
yuffie
Marc Monitor
LB
BenE
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
Beau Nash
comrade powell
pete mac
Luton Roman
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Pre season friendlies Empty Pre season friendlies

Post by Luton Roman Thu May 31, 2018 10:25 am

Usual range, will no.8 be Cheltenham given JG connections? I see its a Bristol Rovers X1 fixture and its not listed on the Rovers first team pre season list though currently no other game for them on the 21st July.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Pre season friendlies Empty Re: Pre season friendlies

Post by pete mac Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 am

Rovers at home is always the big game.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu May 31, 2018 12:30 pm

I won't bore everyone with my thoughts on friendlies yet again (!) except to welcome the Weymouth fixture.

In the 6 seasons since our relegation from Conference Premier we've played our final warm up against Yate (3), Torquay, Shepton Mallet and Bideford. Torquay at the time may have been challenging opponents, but these 6 friendlies were followed by just 2 wins in our opening league fixtures on the following Saturday. And more to the point, we have picked up an average of just 6 points from the opening 4 games.

While friendlies with the likes of Rovers bring in welcome revenue for the club, the above suggests that we've been going into the season under-cooked.

While it wasn't possible to line up a final warm up against a club at our level (attempts were made) Weymouth away looks the next best thing as they narrowly missed out in the play offs. And although they start their campaign a week later than us, hopefully they will give us a tough work out before the big ko.

And yes, I probably will go down there! Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu May 31, 2018 12:53 pm

comrade powell wrote:I won't bore everyone with my thoughts on friendlies yet again (!) except to welcome the Weymouth fixture...
And yes, I probably will go down there! Very Happy

Hold the front page, I can see the headline...Comrade ATTENDS Friendly! Shocked

Will there be a coach?  Don't forget the bucket and spade, sun cream, swimming costume etc. bounce
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu May 31, 2018 1:41 pm

I'll get onto the Dorset Echo right away!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu May 31, 2018 3:27 pm

I'll have you know that I attended a friendly last season (can't remember which) and TWO Somerset Cup games!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu May 31, 2018 5:40 pm

Frustrated I can’t make Weymouth, even though it’d be a far better location for the stag party I’m helping organise for that weekend. I saw them draw 0-0 with Poole at the back end of a season a couple of years ago, effectively cost Poole the title. I think Jason Matthews and George Rigg played.

My guess is we often play ‘easier’ games a week before the start of the season to prevent injury, but happy for the change. The Torquay game was a thriller, too.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu May 31, 2018 7:46 pm

comrade powell wrote:In the 6 seasons since our relegation from Conference Premier we've played our final warm up against Yate (3), Torquay, Shepton Mallet and Bideford. Torquay at the time may have been challenging opponents, but these 6 friendlies were followed by just 2 wins in our opening league fixtures on the following Saturday.
How many have been home games?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu May 31, 2018 8:39 pm

Shepton was at Twerton and hastily thrown in to avoid Chas starting the season suspended, I believe.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu May 31, 2018 8:47 pm

BenE wrote:
comrade powell wrote:In the 6 seasons since our relegation from Conference Premier we've played our final warm up against Yate (3), Torquay, Shepton Mallet and Bideford. Torquay at the time may have been challenging opponents, but these 6 friendlies were followed by just 2 wins in our opening league fixtures on the following Saturday.
How many have been home games?

Only one of the six. But our home record has been so iffy in recent years that it's not all that relevant. In fact in two of those seasons, we have recorded more wins away from TP.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu May 31, 2018 9:32 pm

On the basis that the Weymouth game is the final friendly, I have just realised that the season must start on 4th August - is it me, or does it get earlier every year? I expect we will still have played a quarter of our league games by the second week of September.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu May 31, 2018 10:43 pm

Excellent question, LB, and you're correct, it is getting earlier and earlier. Just a few seasons back we started at Welling on 18/8 and Bish on 17/8. But since then records have been broken. I don't think we had ever started earlier than 8/8 and yet 2 years ago the Margate match was on 6/8 and last season Bognor was on 5/8.  

The league seem to have decided that the season will ko on the first Saturday of the month rather than the second. So this year it's 4/8 and next year 3/8! And in 2020 (leap year) we should be kicking off on 1/8 but we'll be in the league by then with different dates...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:01 am

As a teacher, I am quite glad to get a month of the season out of the way while still on holiday.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:12 am

Reminds me of my reply to someone who asked me what I liked most about teaching....August!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 am

With the World Cup in June / July every week of every month of 2018 involves English players? scratch

Too much football. Mad
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:23 am

Although I have my doubts about the upcoming finals, what with the venue, VAR etc, I think that the World Cup is a great festival which is ideally timed for every four years. The problem is that many of the players will arrive shattered from domestic and continental club competitions. Remember Kane's non appearance two years ago at the Euros?

But to answer your question, yes there is too much of a very average quality. As usual tv has a lot to answer for with matches staggered to allow for live coverage and this means so much of the former 'free time' is now taken up.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:57 am

The highlights will probably be the controversial VAR moments as the games are normally boring due to teams playing unadventurous sideways football. Rolling Eyes  

With no Andy at Wimbledon Sad England cricket pale and no National Hunt horse racing I could go on holiday sunny until August...and miss nothing. Razz
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:01 pm

I don't buy this exhaustion nonsense. They play one maybe two 90 minute games per week for which they do nothing else all week but prepare for. I wish I could be that exhausted.

Bunch of prima donnas.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:17 pm

Prima donnas yes, but the pace of the modern game, especially in the EPL, is bound to take its toll.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:52 pm

I think the most important thing to note is that if England finish second in their group they could be playing in the quarters at the same time as the Reading game.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:15 am

If the trend continues and we also have a Winter break, we could find the season starts before the previous one has finished. That would do away with the need for pre-season friendlies. With the league places, 2nd to 7th, being involved in a knock out competition to decide promotion, perhaps the FA Cup could take a leaf out of the Champions League system and start of as a league. All in all we won't know whether we are coming or going.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:45 am

According to Bristol City’s website we are playing their U-23s on Saturday 14 July

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:12 pm

yuffie wrote:I think the most important thing to note is that if England finish second in their group they could be playing in the quarters at the same time as the Reading game.

I'd wager that there's more chance of seeing me at the Reading match than England in the quarters.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Ash - cannot find Bristol City U23 site.
Does it say TP or AG?

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:14 pm

TP
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content