Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Retained list.

+22
SouthendRoman
Twerton Parker
LB
Roman Mike
stillmanjunior
SteveS
roscopeekotrain
SASCHA
London Calling
BenE
Midsomer-steve
Sir Ged Roddy
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
kermit
pete mac
2weirdtown
Eddie Hitler
yuffie
Ashley
Luton Roman
Marc Monitor
26 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Retained list.  - Page 4 Empty Re: Retained list.

Post by BenE Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:24 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
BenE wrote:I would bring in Perry Shipp and Gibbons - and Mark Preece.

Preece moved from Gloucester to Chippenham (after ending last season at Oxford City) so maybe he's considered not up to this level?

He was perfectly good enough for us before

Not seen enough of the other three play to say whether we should bring them in or not - how come you think they'll do a job?

These are players I like the look of. They are young and have potential. I think it is high time we started using players from our own youth development system. For one thing it should reduce the wage bill.

Of course what I haven't said is that I also believe it will do them no good whatsoever playing for us. We have shown no aptitude for improving players. They can either do the job when they arrive or they fall by the wayside. But that is another matter.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Preece was ok but you can't deny that Walsh's form at the end of last season was an improvement on him. The way Preece was let go was wrong but the fact that he's dropped another level suggests to me maybe we got rid of him at the right time? Otherwise why would he have not lasted too long at Conf North/South? Could be his own choice maybe but seems a bit strange to me.

Ah I see, I didn't realise you'd seen a couple of them play at Mangotsfield regularly. I remember Hacksaw say Shipp looked like a good player for them but I can't go by that and decide he's one for the future, even though I seldom disagree with Hacksaw's views. Saw Gibbons play for the Academy a fair amount last season and only a handful of times this. Again same with Preece - bit concerning that Paulton didn't extend his spell there, instead he went to a club at the level below. But again hope he progresses, from what I've seen with more time developing his game he could be a good player, scores goals too. And he's a nice guy.

I'm not against throwing in younger players but find it pointless if they're not ready. The difference in quality between Academy football and our first team is gigantic. Just because a player is 18 and showing promise for the Academy doesn't mean they'll instantly be superb in Conference South. Somerset Cup is fine, see what they're like in that. I mean, I made some chocolate muffins the other day and the press box crew seemed to enjoy them (or lied well). Doesn't mean this time next year I'll be serving food for John and Greg on Masterchef.

I wouldn't say we've shown no aptitude in improving players. Marley Watkins has done ok since leaving us, will be playing in a Scottish Cup Final soon after Inverness' win today. Maybe we just got the best out of what we had?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Hold on, chocolate muffins? Where's ours?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:46 am

stillmanjunior wrote: I mean, I made some chocolate muffins the other day and the press box crew seemed to enjoy them (or lied well). Doesn't mean this time next year I'll be serving food for John and Greg on Masterchef.

Why not?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:54 am

stillmanjunior wrote:I'm not against throwing in younger players but find it pointless if they're not ready.

The reality is that there are only two sides in the area at this level. If we don't pick them up they will probably stay at a lower level for ever. Could they have made it? No one will ever know.

The other reality is that the club is over £700K in debt. We may have to get used to the idea of bringing through players from the youth sides in future if this is going to stop.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Was there actually a comment made by Howells regarding not wanting players living more than 30? miles / minutes from the ground?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:35 pm

Well done Ashley - I looked for it, but gave up because of the pop-up adverts on the Chronicle website.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:40 am

I think we can now almost certainly assume that Stearn is going. As Archie walked off the pitch on Saturday, someone shouted out to him: "You've got to keep Stearny, Archie!" - to which he shrugged and muttered under his breath "Not for me. Not for me."

Now this could mean all sorts, and we don't know how the summer's negotiations will go. But unless I read it wrong, it did appear to show us what our dear leader thought of the player.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:51 am

It was almost fitting that, if he does go, his last involvement was shouting at Chris Allen for slightly over-hitting a pass.

Unlike last year at Concord when he must have shook nearly everyone in the ground's hand (including a few Concord fans probably) it was a much more low key acknowledgement of the City fans on Saturday, so I'm not sure what to read into that.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:55 am

Changes afoot!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:38 am

Recent results have only reinforced my view that if we are going to push for the play offs some changes need to be made. We need the Coupey, Harris, Hogg element. Call them streetwise, winners, committed, never give up or whatever but thats what we need. We have talent in the squad but the finishing league position is poor and does not reflect the ability. There is something missing and that needs to be addressed, previous promotions have been won with these players in the squad and we need these sort of characters.
Also look at Bromley. A couple of years back they were very similar to us, played some very nice football at times but inconsistent results - very hot and cold. They realised that they were not going to achieve league success without changing things and introducing the sort of elements mentioned above and look what it has done for them.
We need some who are going give us the leadership and backbone to grind out the results away from home on a cold Tuesday evening.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:43 am

I agree with you Steve.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:51 am

SteveS wrote:Recent results have only reinforced my view that if we are going to push for the play offs some changes need to be made. We need the Coupey, Harris, Hogg element. Call them streetwise, winners, committed, never give up or whatever but thats what we need. We have talent in the squad but the finishing league position is poor and does not reflect the ability. There is something missing and that needs to be addressed, previous promotions have been won with these players in the squad and we need these sort of characters.

Staines had Purse playing for them. Although 38 and seemed a complete ***, he was great on the pitch.  Constant nagging, geeing up his players and generally everywhere and at every ball....

Could do with the odd moment like that from our players

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:54 am

oh and please tell me Howells lives more than 30 minutes from Twerton Twisted Evil

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:10 pm

And Bromley have had some big backers ploughing money in with recent rumours that they may pull out.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Roy D Hacksaw wrote:I think we can now almost certainly assume that Stearn is going. As Archie walked off the pitch on Saturday, someone shouted out to him: "You've got to keep Stearny, Archie!" - to which he shrugged and muttered under his breath "Not for me. Not for me."
If his replacement is better, with a similar goal-return, I don't suppose anyone will complain. I do t see Diallo as being that player however.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:24 pm

Eddie Hitler wrote:
Roy D Hacksaw wrote:I think we can now almost certainly assume that Stearn is going. As Archie walked off the pitch on Saturday, someone shouted out to him: "You've got to keep Stearny, Archie!" - to which he shrugged and muttered under his breath "Not for me. Not for me."
If his replacement is better, with a similar goal-return, I don't suppose anyone will complain. I do t see Diallo as being that player however.

mmm so goal scorers are so easy to find?

Stearn's return this season is impressive as he has not been fit. Last season he was going past defenders with ease. This season not and he got caught once or twice when one on one with the goalkeeper. He has been totally mismanaged.

Poor Watkins had a very long journey for his cameo in a pointless game.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:54 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:oh and please tell me Howells lives more than 30 minutes from Twerton Twisted Evil

Although to be fair he did say half an hour to an hour.

Interesting article in the Chronicle today with Britton and Howells bemoaning not being given contracts for next season, and then Howells saying that he has never had a contract during his time at the club! I am also not sure some of their comments regarding the work going on behind the scenes are really very helpful.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4