Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TODAYS GAME (SUCH A SHAME)

+14
Dave
RUDI GULITS
Marc Monitor
Matt_1376
Steve Whites Missus
kingswood charlie
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
Ancient Mariner
Luton Roman
The Clown
the demon headmaster
BenE
SASCHA
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

TODAYS GAME (SUCH A SHAME) Empty TODAYS GAME (SUCH A SHAME)

Post by SASCHA Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Feeling really gutted for the players and supporters, especially those who travelled up to North Ferriby.

The tie as it turns out was probably decided by the selection and performance in the first half at Twerton Park.
Selection today I would go with , but too late.
Wasn't there today so I could be wrong.
Just my opinion.

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

TODAYS GAME (SUCH A SHAME) Empty Re: TODAYS GAME (SUCH A SHAME)

Post by BenE Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:38 pm

The team (And management) have done us proud this season. The tactics for all the rounds were spot on. But I knew as soon as I saw the size of the ferriby team that we would be up against it. To come out 3 all after 210 minutes is a credit to the team.

Well done lads.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:09 pm

I think the draw with the second of two legs at theirs really favoured them. If it was three all after both matches and we had the extra time at TP the bigger pitch would have exposed the 10 men more. We didn't play that well but a very weak ref for the second week running meant we were playing rugby for another 90 minutes. Our penalties were poor and theirs were good but they are the most unimaginative team I have ever seen. Good at what they do but God-awful. Sour grapes possibly but I hope Wrexham batter them.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by The Clown Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:04 pm

I find that a bit petty, why would you hope that an ex league club with loads of history would beat a small non league club like ferriby . Good luck to them I think if we,re all being honest they just edged us in this tie and were certainly the better side today. They have two good wingers and a good centre forward with very hard working defenders that threw themselves into numerous blocks today. City just came up a bit short but thanks to the players for taking us on this great run and just giving us the chance of a wembley final.

The Clown

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Petty perhaps but we all deal with our disappointment in our own ways so don't mind if I find your analysis patronising. I don't think I should apologise for saying they are an ugly side and hope football, in the shape of Wrexham, win. If our team played like NFU every week I guarantee the forum would be demanding heads to roll. So we weren't good enough to prevail but I don't have to celebrate on behalf of today's hosts. Rock on Wrexham!

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:56 pm

Yes I think the post mortem might well reflect on the absence of McCootie and Addlesbury at the start of the 1st leg. Might have created more earlier. Todays line up vindicated almost straightway and certainly gave their defenders more to think about. But we struggled to settle on the ball, didnt often pick up 2nd ball or knock downs as they hounded us and Jason kept us in it. They are good at what they do but tired visibly even before they were reduced to 10 men and we could have won it late on with 2 good chances. No one around me was confident on pens but why didnt Pratt or Stearn blast it. Thought the ref was ok, got key decisons right, was consistent, yes a physical game and im glad we dont play in Conference North. As for the finàl, who cares.....

Finally, looking at their programme they lost a semi in the Vase before coming back and getting to the final, and lost in the Trophy quarter final to Gosport last season. So it was their turn and not ours, we will have to wait a little longer, but tremendous support today, must be 200/300 in crowd of 1800 and players visibly moved at the end. Glad I went, still a proud Roman. Keep the faith.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:04 am

Sadly the goals etc are now available on The Hull Daily Mail website.

I wont give you the link as you may not want to see it. Sad

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ancient Mariner Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:21 pm

I am glad I drove up and witnessed a gutsy performance by our guys on a special day. As Adie has conceded we were outmuscled for some of the match but we kept them out apart from the penalty. We could and maybe should have won it towards the end. I was very proud of the players and indeed of the travelling support. It will be difficult for the team to kick on from here but I hope the players and management get the support they deserve for the rest of the season.

As for Ferriby I thought they played well to their strengths. Over the two games they gave our midfield little time and space - until the last 15 or so minutes when their legs went. Yes they could be physical but a lot of teams are. They will find it a challenge to play against a full time outfit.

A great cup run although I know that will be no consolation to the players

Ancient Mariner

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:41 pm

What a dreadful waste of 7 minutes of footage - 2 minutes of football and 5 of post match self indulgence. Presumably the cameraman (and editor?) was the same prat who caused such a problem in front of our press box last week. Hull Daily Mail - appropriate name!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:20 pm

comrade powell wrote:What a dreadful waste of 7 minutes of footage - 2 minutes of football and 5 of post match self indulgence. Presumably the cameraman (and editor?) was the same prat who caused such a problem in front of our press box last week. Hull Daily Mail - appropriate name!

Yes, it was him. I haven't watched the footage. Whilst I didn't encounter any problems with the rest of NF's fans or officials, he seemed to be a bit strange.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by kingswood charlie Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:51 pm

To all of those of you who watch City regularly (as I did all those years ago) no words of consolation will suffice for your obvious disappointment.

There must have been about 400 (?) supporting the Team and everyone did the Club proud by chanting, cheering and singing throughout the match and no showing sign of any animosity.

I was pleased to chat with a number of supporters there, particularly Kelston Koppite, but was sorry to miss Phil Weaver and Martin Powell (lost you in the crowd).

As one of the many 'exiles' in attendance I may have had the shortest round trip of a mere 180 miles. Anyone beat that? Anyway I trust you all returned home safely and are slowly coming to terms that a trip to Wembley still awaits.

From my great vantage point leaning on the railings, close to the Gents..., my humble observations are that NFU were slightly the better side, it was a definite penalty and the City goalkeeper was magnificent, clearly being the man of the match. Whilst it was tough at times it was not a dirty game and I felt the referee handled it well. Though some other correspondents seem to disagree.   NFU played a lot of high balls, but so what with their bean pole being on the end of a lot of them. It paid dividends because they won

It is always hard on individuals when there is defeat in a penalty shoot out and I felt particularly sorry for the player who fluffed the first shot (bald headed chap with a beard) as I thought he played really well, particularly in the first half. He went in bravely for crosses and chased after many loose balls in their penalty area, giving no respite to their non-kicking goalie.

So good luck to Ferriby in the Final. A village team come good. Hopefully they will invest some of their profits in a Tannoy system. Occasional mumblings, vaguely resembling a human voice could occasionally be heard from a tin can on a wall but none of those around me had any idea of what was being said.  So if it was to announce that a winning Raffle Ticket number was 746 to 750 Blue, then a prize is mine.  Having forked out a quid it would have been nice to see the results.  Whatever happened to someone walking round the pitch at half-time holding a board with numbers on? That is something they even manage to do at Sports Direct.com. Park, or Boundary Park to give it its proper name. 'Bout the only thing they can do correctly at the moment.

Final thought. Why did City not play in Black and White stripes????

The danger now is that the rest of the season may fall a bit flat. Hope this is not the case as there is still many points at stake.  So see you at the Play Off final.

So well done City, a great effort to get so far.  To the Team, the Officials and the Supporters - you have all done the Club proud.
kingswood charlie
kingswood charlie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:06 pm

I agree about the raffle tickets

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:28 pm

kingswood charlie wrote:To all of those of you who watch City regularly (as I did all those years ago) no words of consolation will suffice for your obvious disappointment.

There must have been about 400 (?) supporting the Team and everyone did the Club proud by chanting, cheering and singing throughout the match and no showing sign of any animosity.

I was pleased to chat with a number of supporters there, particularly Kelston Koppite, but was sorry to miss Phil Weaver and Martin Powell (lost you in the crowd).

As one of the many 'exiles' in attendance I may have had the shortest round trip of a mere 180 miles. Anyone beat that? Anyway I trust you all returned home safely and are slowly coming to terms that a trip to Wembley still awaits.

From my great vantage point leaning on the railings, close to the Gents..., my humble observations are that NFU were slightly the better side, it was a definite penalty and the City goalkeeper was magnificent, clearly being the man of the match. Whilst it was tough at times it was not a dirty game and I felt the referee handled it well. Though some other correspondents seem to disagree.   NFU played a lot of high balls, but so what with their bean pole being on the end of a lot of them. It paid dividends because they won

It is always hard on individuals when there is defeat in a penalty shoot out and I felt particularly sorry for the player who fluffed the first shot (bald headed chap with a beard) as I thought he played really well, particularly in the first half. He went in bravely for crosses and chased after many loose balls in their penalty area, giving no respite to their non-kicking goalie.

So good luck to Ferriby in the Final. A village team come good. Hopefully they will invest some of their profits in a Tannoy system. Occasional mumblings, vaguely resembling a human voice could occasionally be heard from a tin can on a wall but none of those around me had any idea of what was being said.  So if it was to announce that a winning Raffle Ticket number was 746 to 750 Blue, then a prize is mine.  Having forked out a quid it would have been nice to see the results.  Whatever happened to someone walking round the pitch at half-time holding a board with numbers on? That is something they even manage to do at Sports Direct.com. Park, or Boundary Park to give it its proper name. 'Bout the only thing they can do correctly at the moment.

Final thought. Why did City not play in Black and White stripes????

The danger now is that the rest of the season may fall a bit flat. Hope this is not the case as there is still many points at stake.  So see you at the Play Off final.

So well done City, a great effort to get so far.  To the Team, the Officials and the Supporters - you have all done the Club proud.

I couldn't have put it much better myself. I also thought the referee was fine. There didn't appear to be any complaints about the penalty (I had a useless view of it).

Black and white would have clashed with their mainly white strip? At least we can see the numbers on the yellow!

The one plus point of a poor PA system was we didn't have blaring music after goals (like Dover) or more after the game.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:43 pm

Great post, Charlie, and very sorry I missed you. Another time, hopefully...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt_1376 Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:09 pm

kingswood charlie wrote:As one of the many 'exiles' in attendance I may have had the shortest round trip of a mere 180 miles. Anyone beat that? Anyway I trust you all returned home safely and are slowly coming to terms that a trip to Wembley still awaits.

From my great vantage point leaning on the railings, close to the Gents...

From Oldham (?) did you drive or get the train?

My round trip on the train was 222 miles, but we went via Sheffield and came back via Leeds, so you can probably add a few miles on to that!

From Bath up to Ferriby was a round trip of 366 miles for those who went on the supporters coaches; but that calculation is "as the crow flies", so add about 50 miles on to that.

BUT - pete mac who drove up from Derby had a round trip of roughly 146 miles.
Matt_1376
Matt_1376

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:10 pm

North Ferriby deserved it over the two legs. We were terrible in the first half of the first leg and didn't get going yesterday. I thought that Hemmings and Waltkins had uncharacteristically bad games. Mellor was superb yesterday but I think the player of the leg was Jason St Juste who was relatively quiet yesterday but really good in the first match and, if it wasn't going to be a City player, at least he got the winning penalty. If there were two players you would put money on to score, it would be Pratt and Stearn but there you go.

I thought the ref was appalling yesterday. Really didn't have a hold on the game at all but, ultimately, I am not sure that changed much. I don't begrudge the real North Ferriby supporters their trip to Wembley (quite a few wished us safe journeys home) but it was a shame that many that were there yesterday didn't really have any emotional investment in the victory as they were Hull City supporters at a loose end. I hope there isn't any romantic notions of a little village team in the final either, after seeing the houses and amount of Mercs per capita up there. It's the Alderley Edge of Hull.

Still, the team did us proud getting us here and the supporters did themselves proud turning up in numbers, showing great support and making a great noise. It was a great trip yesterday - if the result spoilt the trips, you would never go away. As has been mentioned, I hope the season doesn't fall flat from here - the play-offs aren't impossible - and we can use the higher profile of the club to garner interest in the supporter buy-out. It's a club that's got great supporters and, with those supporters running the club, it could far from here.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:15 pm

Matt_1376 wrote:
kingswood charlie wrote:As one of the many 'exiles' in attendance I may have had the shortest round trip of a mere 180 miles. Anyone beat that? Anyway I trust you all returned home safely and are slowly coming to terms that a trip to Wembley still awaits.

From my great vantage point leaning on the railings, close to the Gents...

From Oldham (?) did you drive or get the train?

My round trip on the train was 222 miles, but we went via Sheffield and came back via Leeds, so you can probably add a few miles on to that!

From Bath up to Ferriby was a round trip of 366 miles for those who went on the supporters coaches; but that calculation is "as the crow flies", so add about 50 miles on to that.

BUT - pete mac who drove up from Derby had a round trip of roughly 146 miles.

We had the mileage as 480 but we had a bit of a diversion to a nice pub. Probably 450 though.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:24 pm

360 round trip from Luton, but A36 must have had a huge mileage trip.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:25 pm

By the way, Clown, Denton was a terrible player, I am not sure that he had a part to play in any of the goals. Indeed, I am not sure that he played the ball with his feet in the entire two legs. As he tired, Walsh won all the balls in the air as well. While North Ferriby were not as anti-football as bloody Dover, he was an anti-footballer.

Agree about the wingers and the defenders who did block loads of shots (although, at least, one of them was on the line with his hand).
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Marc Monitor wrote: I hope there isn't any romantic notions of a little village team in the final either, after seeing the houses and amount of Mercs per capita up there. It's the Alderley Edge of Hull.

I don't think I was the only one on our coach expecting dark satanic mills, flat caps, whippets and rows of back to back terraces. There was quite a murmur as we passed those huge mansions! Very Happy

(but why do northerners like such a head on their beer?)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Someone has just put this on another website

North Ferriby's run to the final - they beat Mickleover Sports, Boston, Hyde, Farnborough, Ebbsfleet and Bath.

No-one above sixth in the Conference North and only three matches away from home (the semi-final, Farnborough and a replay in Boston).
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by RUDI GULITS Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:01 pm

comrade powell wrote:
Marc Monitor wrote: I hope there isn't any romantic notions of a little village team in the final either, after seeing the houses and amount of Mercs per capita up there. It's the Alderley Edge of Hull.

I don't think I was the only one on our coach expecting dark satanic mills, flat caps, whippets and rows of back to back terraces. There was quite a murmur as we passed those huge mansions! Very Happy

barmaids in the Ferriby club house did not like a head on the pints
they wiped it off with there hands
shocking
RUDI GULITS
RUDI GULITS

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:08 pm

comrade powell wrote:
but why do northerners like such a head on their beer?

Indeed. Many a Combe Downer supped in Hull's finest hostelries Sad

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:29 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:By the way, Clown, Denton was a terrible player, I am not sure that he had a part to play in any of the goals. Indeed, I am not sure that he played the ball with his feet in the entire two legs. As he tired, Walsh won all the balls in the air as well. While North Ferriby were not as anti-football as bloody Dover, he was an anti-footballer.

Agree about the wingers and the defenders who did block loads of shots (although, at least, one of them was on the line with his hand).

Whilst I admit I detest the style of play and the approach that relies on a lamp post at centre forward who is a master of the 'dark arts', I thought Denton did the job he was there for really well. Phil Walsh won his fair share and generally stuck to him like glue but he was always available and he did lots of lay offs (with both head and feet) and kept the ball moving for them and was generally just a handful. Let's not forget that on any other Saturday in any other game he would not have played in the 2nd leg as he would / should have been off for that tackle on AG at Twerton. I'd hate it if we had a player like that or relied on that dirty kind of game but I reluctantly conclude he was effective. PS. he won the penalty I think so he did have a hand in their goal.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:38 pm

RUDI GULITS wrote:
comrade powell wrote:

barmaids in the Ferriby club house did not like a head on the pints
they wiped it off with there hands
shocking
shocking Embarassed

Last edited by 2weirdtown on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next