Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New signing?

+10
Dave
stillmanjunior
Midsomer-steve
Marc Monitor
Major Icewater
miker
comrade powell
2weirdtown
Corstonian
Luton Roman
14 posters

Go down

New signing? Empty New signing?

Post by Luton Roman Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 pm

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

New signing? Empty Re: New signing?

Post by Corstonian Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:17 pm

A bit surprised by this - Steve Elliot is still a good player, even at 36, and an imposing physical presence. But I would have thought central defence is the one area we have real strength in depth with Walsh, Keary, Gallinagh, Ball and Simpson all capable of filling those positions. Still, credit to the management for persuading a vastly experienced player to come on board and let's hope that he gives the squad the kind of boost which Scott Murray supplied at a similar stage of his career.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:22 pm

I think this is more about the type of player he is.  Apparently a real leader and 100%er. Yes we may be strong in the centre defence but no harm in trying to improve further.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:25 pm

and maybe add some of that 'streetwise' we've been missing?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Reminds me of Steve McNulty at Fleetwood and now at Luton for 2 seasons, a leader and motivator as well as a hard b''''rd

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm no fan of this kind of signing, especially as last night apparently proved that we have young players who are able to do a job. However, I can see the reasoning, assuming that it's affordable. Just hope his injury doesn't make him unavailable for selection on a regular basis.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:55 pm

The Chron says that he is 36, hasn't ben playing and has a knee injury so it seems we have signed and old, unfit, croc. Don't get it.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Icewater Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Gives an option of using Phil Walsh upfront.

The sort of leader that would allow, perhaps, to use younger squad players in the side,

Major Icewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:50 pm

As the other thread says, we've only conceded 13 goals conceded since 6th Sept. Why do we need another defender - old and probably on high wages?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:06 pm

As I say on the other thread, we've only conceded 13 goals conceded since 6th Sept so why do we need another defender - old and probably on high wages?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:42 am

What baffles me is that we sacrificed league points at Whitehawk in order to 'save' the expected starting eleven for the potential money spinner on Saturday, and then sign on an ex-league player (who I expect will command a sizeable salary) for no obvious reason, thus blowing a hole in the money won to date. Crackers - unless we are signing him to improve our push for promotion!
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:59 am

In thinking about it, he could be being paid per appearance. With recent signings, I am not sure I trust the club to be so sensible
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:11 am

I think they've done it deliberately - no-one has had much to moan about recently so this'll get people going. Elliott will probably hobble off 10 minutes into his debut after he's collected £2k for his run-out.

And ironically we competed better with Whitehawk with our unusual line-up on Tuesday than we did at home. I thought people wanted the younger players to be given a chance? Even if we had our strongest line-up, which we would have done had Saturday's game not been massive, it's likely we still would have struggled.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:09 am

This is hilarious. If we'd signed Elliott 6-8 weeks ago this place would be joyous. 'No-nonsense defender, inspirational leader, just what the fragile young squad need' etc etc. Bristol Rovers fans are gutted they couldn't sign him after the window closed yet we're sneering, Christ. Personally I'm pleased we've got him. Every time I've seen him in the past year or two he's been totally dominant and commanding, and that in Division Four not Conference South. I think he'll be a great asset, whether he plays every week or now and then. On another note, the club haven't even confirmed the signing and the management haven't said a word about it to the press so it's probably best everyone calms down til they do.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:14 am

Good signing. Just what we need. I welcome it. Stronger squad for a testing run in.....

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:03 am

Here here. His experience will be valuable and he's been involved in a coaching role at Cheltenham. Just the kind of proven hardcase everyone's been crying out for so no complaints from me.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:27 am

Has it been confirmed he has signed?

He states how much he wants to get on the coaching side. How will that affect Sir Rollo?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:08 pm

Good for Jim. Gives him somebody of his own age to talk to.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:29 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:Has it been confirmed he has signed?

Still no confirmation. Presumably the wages and the fact we are part time will have a bearing.

BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:52 pm

and given he has said he is 7-10 days from being fit there is no rush. (Thanks Palms).
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:11 pm

If you read the article there is no reference, or quote from the club, although the player has spoken to the paper. Is it simply a "I'm available, come and get me Bath" thing....

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down