Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

East Thurrock United (2)7 Bath City (1)1

+6
City Awayday
yuffie
Ashley
BenE
comrade powell
Kelston Koppite
10 posters

Go down

East Thurrock United (2)7  Bath City (1)1 Empty East Thurrock United (2)7 Bath City (1)1

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:24 am

Bath City’s FA Cup campaign came to an embarrassing and juddering halt at East Thurrock United’s Rookery Hill ground in Corringham.  The Ryman League Premier Division outfit took full advantage of City’s calamitous defensive display and general lacklustre performance by finding the back of the net no less than seven times.

There was no hint of the impending disaster as the Somerset side enjoyed the better of first half hour of the match, forcing a number of corners and looking the more likely to open the scoring.  Dan Ball’s looping shot from 25 yards on 9 minutes was held under the crossbar by United keeper David Wood, and Ben Adelsbury lifted an effort over the target from the edge of the box after a corner had been only partially cleared by the hosts.

It was not until the 21st minute that the home team showed any real attacking threat.  Sam Higgins took a through ball into his path and advanced goalwards, but his eventual shot was wide of Jason Mellor’s far post.

Bath continued to put pressure on the East Thurrock defence with Chas Hemmings firm rising shot passing just wide of Hughes’ post, with the goalkeeper looking uncertain.  Nick McCootie also tried his luck on the half hour mark, but Hughes was able to watch the ball drift over his bar to safety.

The deadlock was finally broken on 32 minutes when Ball won possession in the home half, rode two challenges, and rifled a low shot into the corner of the net from 20 yards.  

It was a lead that, at the time, was no more than City deserved, but their advantage was destined to last no more than two minutes. Indeed, what followed was no less than astonishing as Lee Howell’s side capitulated in spectacular and unbelievable style.

The setback seemed to suddenly spur ‘The Rooks’ into life, and Mellor was immediately forced into an excellent save to keep out David Bryant’s close range shot after Higgins’ initial effort had deflected into his path.  The equaliser arrived from the resulting corner that was taken short to Higgins.  The forward’s angled drive appeared to be no particular danger, but somehow crept through Mellor at the near post.

The hosts now had their tails up and Bryant wasted a presentable opportunity on 35 minutes by firing over the bar from inside the City box, but the reprieve was short-lived as United went in front in the 38th minute.  Lewis Smith was allowed to twist and turn in front of goal, and found the corner of the net with his shot.  

For the remainder of the half, Bath sought to restore parity without success.  Dave Pratt’s goalbound shot was blocked for a corner, and Adelsbury sent a curler over the bar from the edge of the box.  The final action saw Pat Keary head wide of the far post following an Ashley Kington free kick that had been swung in from the right.

It was essential that the visitors made a good start to the second period, but the complete opposite occurred.  Andy Gallinagh attempted to usher the ball out for a goal kick but was beaten by Bryant, whose pass found Smith inside the City box.  As the forward turned, Keary was harshly adjudged to have pushed him to the ground by the referee Mr. Alan Young.  Sam Higgins was in no mood the let the opportunity go to waste as he beat Mellor from the spot with a firm low drive down the middle.

The Rooks were now rampant and the Bath defence was all at sea. The midfield areas were also surrendered and, consequently, what followed was alarming and distressing in the extreme.

McCootie was penalized, and cautioned, for a foul on the edge of the City box on 57 minutes, and Mellor failed to hold Higgins’ resulting free kick.  Ross Parmenter was the first to react and had a simple tap in at the far post to increase his side’s lead.  Three minutes later a long throw into the area was allowed to bounce, presenting Higgins with a simple chance to complete his hat-trick.

City’s misery was almost compounded when Mellor completely missed an attempted clearance from a back pass, but the keeper recovered sufficiently to push the lurking Higgins out wide and prevent further misery.

Pratt had his side’s only effort at goal of the second half on 73 minutes, but his shot was high over the crossbar and landed deep into the wasteland beyond the tarpaulin perimeter fence.  However, a minute later, the Essex side’s lead was further extended.  In a scene resembling the biblical ‘parting of the Red Sea’, Smith was allowed time and space to advance on goal and calmly slotted the ball home past the stranded Mellor.

With seven minute left on the clock, City’s humiliation was complete when Bryant seized on the opportunity presented by Keary’s slip, and chipped the ball over Mellor for a clever finish.

The victory was fully deserved by East Thurrock, and it is hoped that they will be rewarded with an attractive tie in the First Round Proper.  As for City, their performance was baffling in the extreme.  For the first 30 minutes they were the better side and there was no hint of what was to unravel.  However, for the final hour of the match, the defending was shambolic, the midfield evaporated and, consequently, there was no threat up front.  The only positive development that can be taken from the game was the return of Frankie Artus for the final 20 minutes. It is fair to say that there is much work to be done ahead of next week’s clash with St Albans City if anything is to be salvaged from this season.

EAST THURROCK UNITED: David Hughes, Connor Witherspoon (Nicky Symons 78), Tom Stephen (Ryan Sammons 75), Simon Peddie, Ben Wood, Paul Goodacre, David Bryant, Ross Parmenter, Sam Higgins, Lewis Smith, Mitchell Gilbey. Subs not used: Reece Harris, Joe Paxman, Tom Anderson, Luke Burton.

BATH CITY: Jason Mellor, Sekani Simpson, Dan Ball, Pat Keary, Andy Gallinagh, Ben Adelsbury, Andy Watkins, Ashley Kington (Frankie Artus 71), Dave Pratt (Kyle Patten 81), Nick McCootie (Ross Stearn 59), Chas Hemmings. Subs not used: Chris Allen, Jim Rollo.

REFEREE: Alan Young.

ATTENDANCE: 301.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

East Thurrock United (2)7  Bath City (1)1 Empty Re: East Thurrock United (2)7 Bath City (1)1

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:17 am

That must have been painful to type, KK, and painful to read for those of us who were there and woke up this morning to have it confirmed that it wasn't a dreadful nightmare and the game was really being played today! It will be very interesting to see what reaction there is from the management before next Saturday's match.

Last edited by comrade powell on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

East Thurrock United (2)7  Bath City (1)1 Empty Re: East Thurrock United (2)7 Bath City (1)1

Post by BenE Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:39 am

I see Mitchell wasn't even on the bench. Did he get injured last week?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:42 am

Rovers may not have wanted him cup tied

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:59 am

Ashley wrote:Rovers may not have wanted him cup tied

Correct.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:33 am

one of the beauties of loan signings... Wink
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by City Awayday Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:41 pm

An almost surreal result. Both KK and the Sportinessex report say that City dominated for the first half hour. They then take the lead. I can't recall a game where a team is in command for such an extended period and then totally disintegrate to suffer a 7-1 reverse. Taking into account this is not a one-off (viz. Basingstoke and Whitehawk results) this is indicative of a team poorly prepared and organised -and tactically challenged. I assume the management will issue a statement in response to this result. Having said this, I'm not sure that they will or what they can say.

Time to fall on your sword, Mr. Howells?

City Awayday

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:10 pm

In terms of preparation, did anyone go out and watch East Thurrock in advance? I recall at the Meet the Manager they mentioned one of their scouts had left? I don't know what role Roy Pitman has anymore, he's usually in attendance at our own games so I guess it's not too demanding.

I'll write more later probably. Woke up this morning annoyed that what happened wasn't all a bad dream.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:39 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:In terms of preparation, did anyone go out and watch East Thurrock in advance?
On that note...

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:40 pm

I would be shocked to hear that they were not watched in advance. One of our injured players lives in London, so should have been asked to watch them if no else could. But he was at Bromley last Saturday, the only day Thurrock played since we knew we would be facing them.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:48 pm

Palms wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:In terms of preparation, did anyone go out and watch East Thurrock in advance?
On that note...

He sounds a really good guy. I can't recall a club - players, fans, management - being so modest after such a stunning victory. Really hope the draw is kind to them tomorrow, and woe betide any 'big club' underestimating them.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:31 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:In terms of preparation, did anyone go out and watch East Thurrock in advance? I recall at the Meet the Manager they mentioned one of their scouts had left? I don't know what role Roy Pitman has anymore, he's usually in attendance at our own games so I guess it's not too demanding.

I'll write more later probably. Woke up this morning annoyed that what happened wasn't all a bad dream.
As soon as I heard Adie Britton talking about hoping to draw Bristol City in the next round, I was concerned it was all sounding a bit complacent.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:30 pm

"“Bristol City would be my dream draw but we can only dream about that if we do get through"

“Yes East Thurrock are beatable but will it be easy? No it will not, they will be very difficult. They have had some good runs in cup competitions in the last few years."

“They are a side in the division below us, the Ryman League, so they will be quite decent and its going to be a real tough game."

Must admit I'm struggling to see where any of these comments from Adie make it sound like he was being complacent scratch

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by rabbit Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:48 am

Very you got to focus on the game in hand not the one after

rabbit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down