Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (0)1 East Thurrock United (0)0

2 posters

Go down

Bath City (0)1  East Thurrock United (0)0 Empty Bath City (0)1 East Thurrock United (0)0

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:37 pm

Bath City edged out East Thurrock United by virtue of a solitary Sean Rigg goal at Twerton Park. This extended the home side’s unbeaten run to seven matches that has yielded an impressive tally of 17 points out of a possible 21.

Both teams struggled to retain possession in the early stages, but it was The Rooks who created the first opening. A ball from the right rolled across the face of Ryan Clarke’s goal, but Sam Ashford could only lift his shot over the top from beyond the far post.

City gradually gained the upper hand with United content to defend in numbers, but it was not until the 22nd minute that the hosts produced an attempt at goal. In the event, Tom Smith’s shot from the edge of the box was wide of the target after Anthony Straker’s cross had reached the midfielder.

Freddie Hinds, making his home debut, dragged a shot well wide of Jack Giddens’ goal in the 33rd minute as Bath continued to increase the pressure on the visitors.

Reece Prestedge struck a firm volley that flew into Clarke’s midriff in the 43rd minute, but City ended the first half on top. Giddens had to produce an excellent blocking save to repel Adam Mann’s fizzing shot from the edge of the area, and then Rigg’s apparently goalbound drive was deflected behind for a corner off a defender.

The hosts began the second half in the ascendancy, and a long 53rd minute throw-in by Joe Raynes from the left was flicked towards goal by Robbie Cundy with the help of a deflection, which brought a brilliant reflex save from Giddens at the foot of his near post. However, this reprieve for the visitors was short-lived as City took the lead from the resulting corner. Frankie Artus’s initial header was blocked, but Rigg reacted the quickest to thump the loose ball high into the net from 8 yards out, albeit with the aid of a deflection.

The Romans were now going for the kill, and Jack Batten’s firm header in the 55th minute was cleared off the line by an East Thurrock defender. Hinds then struck a shot over the bar from outside the area and, whilst a Ross Stearn header was on target following a cross from the right, it lacked the power to trouble Giddens.

Being in arrears The Rooks pushed more men forward, and they began to enjoy the greater share of possession without being able to put any consistent pressure on the City rearguard. A ball into the home box on 66 minutes narrowly eluded Alex Osborn at the far post but, otherwise, the hosts stood firm.

Andy Watkins replaced Tom Smith in the 68th minute, but it was United who continued to press forward. Tom Berry latched on to some defensive indecision on 72 minutes which allowed him to race into the home box, but his progress was halted by a well-timed intervention by the outrushing Clarke, who bravely smothered the ball at the charging forward’s feet.

Watkins turned adeptly on the edge of the visitors’ area but shot straight at Giddens, before Stearn made way for the 76th minute introduction of Ryan Brunt.

Hinds fired a shot from outside the area high over the crossbar and over the Bristol End perimeter wall, but City were retreating deeper and deeper into their own territory as time wore on. Indeed, they had a stroke of luck with 10 minutes left on the clock, when Derry unleashed a shot from 25 yards that struck the inside of Clarke’s post with the keeper well beaten.

Ashford tried his luck from distance in the 85th minute but his effort was straight at the home custodian and, thereafter, the hosts comfortably saw out the remaining minutes without further alarm.

Jerry Gill’s men certainly struggled at times during this match and they were unable to reproduce the free flowing football on display in their previous home performance. However, they were still well worth their victory and again restricted their dogged opponents to very few goal-scoring opportunities. It is often said that the mark of a good side is that wins can be ground out when they are not at their best, and City have now undoubtedly added a steely element to their armoury.

Bath City: Ryan Clarke; Joe Raynes, Jack Batten, Robbie Cundy; Ross Stearn (Ryan Brunt 76), Frankie Artus, Sean Rigg, Anthony Straker, Tom Smith (Andy Watkins 68); Adam Mann, Freddie Hinds. Subs not used: Harvey Wiles-Richards, Matt Richards, Dan Ball.

East Thurrock United: Jack Giddens; Jon Nzengo, Ibrahim Sori-Diallo, Ben Marlow, Ryan Scott, Steve Sheehan, Reece Prestedge (Amos Nasha 59), Ricky Hayles (Lee Burns 80), Tom Derry, Alex Osborn, Sam Ashford. Subs not used: Shaun Batt, Yannicu Monga-Ebwa.

Referee: Mr. Tom Bishop.

Attendance: 772
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Posts : 261
Join date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

Bath City (0)1  East Thurrock United (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (0)1 East Thurrock United (0)0

Post by tovid Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Joe Raynes was rightly chosen as MOM but Ryan Clark also had an excellent game. His timing when whipping the ball off the onrushing attackers toes was immaculate.

Posts : 574
Join date : 2018-06-27

Back to top Go down

Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum