Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saturday home fixtures

+3
BenE
2weirdtown
comrade powell
7 posters

Go down

Saturday home fixtures  Empty Saturday home fixtures

Post by comrade powell Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:42 pm

Peter Newman wrote:I know we have to visit every other club but only having 2 scheduled home league fixtures on a Saturday up to the end of September is somewhat odd.

Peter posted this following the Chelmsford trip, prompting me to look at our fixtures for the rest of 2024 in the knowledge that Cup and Trophy runs can play havoc with the schedule…
(home fixtures in CAPITALS)

Saturday 5/10 Chesham
Saturday 12/10 Aldershot (would have been WORTHING if both of us had lost on Saturday)
Saturday 19/10 Hornchurch
Tuesday 22/10 WEYMOUTH
Saturday 26/10 St Albans
Saturday 2/11 MAIDSTONE (off if either of us win in 4QR and possibly an away draw if we win)
Tuesday 5/11 Slough
Saturday 9/11 WESTON
Saturday 16/11 Trophy - possibly away
Saturday 23/11 Eastbourne
Tuesday 26/11 SALISBURY
Saturday 30/11 BOREHAMWOOD (off if either of us win in Cup R1 and possibly an away draw if we win)
Saturday 7/12 Trophy - if we win on 16/11 and then possibly away.
Saturday 14/12 Welling
Saturday 21/12 AVELEY
Thursday 26/12 Chippenham

So having played just two league games at TP on Saturdays in the first two months of the season, the only definites in the next three months are the visits of Weston and Aveley, with over a month to wait until the first and a further month plus until the second.

I know that I’m painting a worst case scenario re the Cup and Trophy (or best case if we progress in both) and the Saturday visits of both Maidstone and Boreham Wood may well go ahead. But we’ve suffered with a similar lack of Saturdays at TP in previous last quarters of the year. And if Chelmsford were to win through to the Cup R3 then our next Saturday at TP after Aveley may be on 25/1 - yes very unlikely but I was saying the same about our trip to Maidstone last season and that had to be rearranged.

I know that we may have the benefit of some home draws in both ko competitions and of course there are midweek home games scheduled. But we all know that Saturdays are when the Club earns the large proportion of its match income - attendances are lower midweek, fewer sponsors and less in bar takings.

The clubs are asked for their preferences before the fixtures are worked out - who they’d like on bank holidays, avoid clashes with local League clubs etc - I wonder if there’s a case for ensuring a minimum number of home Saturdays in the first half of the season.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Saturday home fixtures  Empty Re: Saturday home fixtures

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:26 pm

Thanks Martin. I have booked accommodation in Bath for the weekend of Oct 11th and had planned to come to TP for the Worthing game. I guess my disappointment is tempered by the fact we are still in the FA cup for that weekend.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Oct 01, 2024 4:55 pm

That’s a shame. Can you change your accommodation for the Aldershot Hilton?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Oct 01, 2024 8:37 pm

Good research Martin.

And the other thing about our home Tuesday fixtures is that you would expect both Weymouth and Salisbury to bring a bigger following on a Saturday whereas a more distant club might not bring many at all even on Saturday.
Before Christmas there is less chance of postponements so not such a worry for clubs to travel from further away.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Oct 02, 2024 12:15 am

comrade powell wrote:That’s a shame. Can you change your accommodation for the Aldershot Hilton?
Yeh right. I looked up Larkhall's fixtures and they're away.
Their website home page main photo, shows their players celebrating in front of some glum looking City supporters - presumably from last year's cup tie, first half.
Very odd
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed Oct 02, 2024 2:54 pm

comrade powell wrote:
Peter Newman wrote:I know we have to visit every other club but only having 2 scheduled home league fixtures on a Saturday up to the end of September is somewhat odd.

Peter posted this following the Chelmsford trip, prompting me to look at our fixtures for the rest of 2024 in the knowledge that Cup and Trophy runs can play havoc with the schedule…
(home fixtures in CAPITALS)

Saturday 5/10 Chesham
Saturday 12/10 Aldershot (would have been WORTHING if both of us had lost on Saturday)
Saturday 19/10 Hornchurch
Tuesday 22/10 WEYMOUTH
Saturday 26/10 St Albans
Saturday 2/11 MAIDSTONE (off if either of us win in 4QR and possibly an away draw if we win)
Tuesday 5/11 Slough
Saturday 9/11 WESTON
Saturday 16/11 Trophy - possibly away
Saturday 23/11 Eastbourne
Tuesday 26/11 SALISBURY
Saturday 30/11 BOREHAMWOOD (off if either of us win in Cup R1 and possibly an away draw if we win)
Saturday 7/12 Trophy - if we win on 16/11 and then possibly away.
Saturday 14/12 Welling
Saturday 21/12 AVELEY
Thursday 26/12 Chippenham

So having played just two league games at TP on Saturdays in the first two months of the season, the only definites in the next three months are the visits of Weston and Aveley, with over a month to wait until the first and a further month plus until the second.

I know that I’m painting a worst case scenario re the Cup and Trophy (or best case if we progress in both) and the Saturday visits of both Maidstone and Boreham Wood may well go ahead. But we’ve suffered with a similar lack of Saturdays at TP in previous last quarters of the year. And if Chelmsford were to win through to the Cup R3 then our next Saturday at TP after Aveley may be on 25/1 - yes very unlikely but I was saying the same about our trip to Maidstone last season and that had to be rearranged.

I know that we may have the benefit of some home draws in both ko competitions and of course there are midweek home games scheduled. But we all know that Saturdays are when the Club earns the large proportion of its match income - attendances are lower midweek, fewer sponsors and less in bar takings.

The clubs are asked for their preferences before the fixtures are worked out - who they’d like on bank holidays, avoid clashes with local League clubs etc - I wonder if there’s a case for ensuring a minimum number of home Saturdays in the first half of the season.

There is definitely something wrong with the way the fixtures are worked out. When we had three successive Saturday aways - Tonbridge, Hemel and Chelmsford - Chippenham were at home on all three. The bank holiday weekend defied logic as well (I know I shouldn't expect logic from the National League!) - on the Saturday we were at Tonbridge and Chelmsford were at Weston (with both of the travelling teams having games 48 hours later) when surely it would have made more sense for us to be going to Weston (rather than a random Saturday in March). There were quite a few other long journeys on what is always a busy weekend for travelling.  

At a time when most clubs are struggling financially, getting back to a system where they are at home every other Saturday (obviously allowing for cup games) would seem to benefit everyone. This would avoid the situation City find themselves in this month with only one (Tuesday night) home gate - unless there is an Aldershot replay - but four away trips to pay for.

LB

comrade powell and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Thu Oct 03, 2024 1:30 pm

Not sure why, at this level, there is a need for the fixtures to be produced for the whole season. Surely apart from setting aside public holiday  and  cup entry fixture dates all other fixtures could be produced on a rolling 6 week program. That is release the first 6 weeks of the season fixtures and then after 1 week add on the  week 7 fixture and carry on this way until 6 weeks before the season end.

On this basis everybody would know their next 6 weeks  fixtures for planning purposes. Accept this is a simplification of the problem and would obviously need some refinement but it would allow the opportunity to even out fixtures more fairly.

Last edited by Peter Newman on Thu Oct 03, 2024 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Peter Newman

2weirdtown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Oct 03, 2024 6:12 pm

That is an interesting proposal but I imagine would be impossible to organise. I don't know if they use a computer programme to work it out nowadays but you can't introduce too many variables otherwise it will never work out.
I doubt in fact that they consider the travel situation except for key games like Christmas and Easter.
The problem is that for lower league teams all the cup disruption happens in the early months when there is less resilience in clubs finances. And they are also then likely to suffer more from winter weather problems.
I doubt the administrators are up to solving that conundrum.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Oct 03, 2024 8:28 pm

Yes I think the days of Dennis Strudwick’s fag packet are long gone and the NL have entered the 21st century with a computer doing his job!
I read once that fixture lists are worked out in six game blocks. The season starts with three home and three away and then half the clubs have the sequence reversed, otherwise we’d only ever play half of them at TP and half away.
Yet another issue that the clubs should be taking up with the NL but then that body doesn’t seem to want to make things easy, especially for fans.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Oct 04, 2024 5:31 am

Peter Newman wrote:Not sure why, at this level, there is a need for the fixtures  to be produced for the whole season. Surely apart from setting aside public holiday  and  cup entry fixture dates all other fixtures could be produced on a rolling 6 week program. That is release the first 6 weeks of the season fixtures and then after 1 week add on the  week 7 fixture and carry on this way until 6 weeks before the season end.

With advance rail tickets out some 12 weeks before games there would be added expense if yr booking later.
On this basis everybody would know their next 6 weeks  fixtures for planning purposes. Accept this is a simplification of the problem and would obviously need some refinement but it would allow the opportunity to even out fixtures more fairly.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:20 pm

Maidstone’s win in the Cup today means that they won’t be coming to Twerton on 2/11. And Worthing’s win means Salisbury will also be without a match on R1 day. So hopefully we can entertain them on that  day rather than a Tuesday evening three weeks later.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Oct 13, 2024 9:38 am

comrade powell wrote:Maidstone’s win in the Cup today means that they won’t be coming to Twerton on 2/11. And Worthing’s win means Salisbury will also be without a match on R1 day. So hopefully we can entertain them on that  day rather than a Tuesday evening three weeks later.

Would make sense, unless with a run of four successive Tuesday games coming up we fancy a day off on the 2nd.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:16 am

Fair point but the Club’s finances must be taking a severe hit with such a lack of Saturday games - and you won’t be surprised if I say that Tuesday’s meaningless game shouldn’t be a factor in any decision!
I’ve just checked Salisbury’s fixture list and it appears we are their only midweek opponents also facing a blank Saturday in three weeks time.
And of course Borehamwood’s win yesterday means Saturday 30/11 is still in jeopardy…
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:53 pm

comrade powell wrote:Maidstone’s win in the Cup today means that they won’t be coming to Twerton on 2/11. And Worthing’s win means Salisbury will also be without a match on R1 day. So hopefully we can entertain them on that  day rather than a Tuesday evening three weeks later.

Fingers crossed that we can rearrange something for 2nd November - as I'm booked to be in Bath that day, and was due to bring 5 other people to the game Crying or Very sad

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down