Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Friendlies

+7
PHILB1973#
2weirdtown
Paul1978
Roy D Hacksaw
Beau Nash
comrade powell
BenE
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Friendlies Empty Friendlies

Post by BenE Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:03 pm

Enjoyed today's game even though I missed our goal. Port Vale didn't get the better of us at any stage and Harvey only made one save. Batten and Parselle were imperious, plus a special mention for Joe Raynes who looked quality. The new lads slotted in well although Tillson had to go off early with an injury. Look forward to seeing more of Jordan Alves, who linked up well with Clarke.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Friendlies Empty Re: Friendlies

Post by comrade powell Sat Jul 20, 2024 8:10 pm

Thanks for the update. Good to hear that our central defenders look as solid as ever. Has Alves signed? And what has happened to Cody?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:32 am

comrade powell wrote:Thanks for the update. Good to hear that our central defenders look as solid as ever. Has Alves signed? And what has happened to Cody?

There were two named trialists yesterday, thanks to some well informed supporters posting on BCR  Friendlies 1f618  "matchat".  Speculation was Alves was signing up Saturday evening?
Cody has a slight injury (hamstring?) so is being rested;  I read that somewhere, I think?

Did you not get all the latest news at the game yesterday?  Crying or Very sad  lol!

The attendance was reported as 542 (Official City Twitter).  A great turnout for a training session.

The Twitter feed from both clubs was excellent.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:10 pm

It was a good crowd and of course the club benefits from the sale of beverages etc too. Port Vale fans couldn't get their heads around the concept of being able to walk all round the ground.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:12 pm

Cooke was injured.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sun Jul 21, 2024 1:51 pm

Midfielder Zac Smith, who was at Taunton the last couple of years, has put in a couple of decent shift the last couple of friendlies, and I hear word that he's on the list of probables for signing too. I think he's been down as Player A in the official line-ups.

I thought Alves looked nervous at first, but once some of the more senior players left the pitch he got much more into the game.

Of the new signings, Latrell Double-Barrel has shown flashes of excitement and I'm looking forward to seeing him develop over the season, Sol Double-Barrel looked promising too, but I'd need to see more of him, and Grimes looked solid in what's beginning to look like a fine defence. On top of that, new-old keeper Harvey Double-Barrel already looks like he's been here for years, and is marshalling the defence already. Haven't really seen enough of Tillson yet. He looked like he's a solid holding midfielder, but he didn't get too many touches in his 21 minutes of play so far, and I hope he's not crocked already.

Obviously pre-season is rarely an indication of actual league performance, but it's looking promising. We've just got to hope that the goals start coming from a range of players.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Jul 21, 2024 2:48 pm

542 decent attendance for freindly. freindlies arent my cup of tea. bring on welling on the 17th and torquay on the 20th. reports tell me we have some cracking new signings. ewan clark is a tremendous player, plays with full 100% commitment and is very exciting. defence looking solid as ever. hopefully russe will get fit soon. my favourite player at city. glad wilson scored. his ratio is excellant. shame cooke injured. he always injured to be honest. but prefer him to rest in freindlies. slightest knock and he pulls out the squad. most would play with knocks like parselle etc. i prefer wilson any way if we start 1 up front. whose the veteran of the team now lines is gone? i reckon its frear. maybe 35ish.then batten 30ish.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:45 pm

BenE wrote:Cooke was injured.

But fit enough to be signed by Torquay.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:31 am

Melksham game:

The trialist who scored has been identified - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Fisher - once of the Glenn Hoddle Academy. (From a FB post) scratch

Action - https://x.com/i/status/1778515225794187607 - could be a "Cody" replacement? study

Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:41 am

comrade powell wrote:
BenE wrote:Cooke was injured.

But fit enough to be signed by Torquay.

Yes my info was duff.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Jul 24, 2024 7:46 am

Beau Nash wrote:Melksham game:

The trialist who scored has been identified - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Fisher - once of the Glenn Hoddle Academy. (From a FB post)  scratch

Action - https://x.com/i/status/1778515225794187607 - could be a "Cody" replacement?  study

He's no Cody, made very little impression apart from getting on the end of a great cross just after being told he was coming off. Looks like this is his forte but is it enough?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Jul 24, 2024 6:49 pm

Blimey, Bath Chron/Somerset Live have a report. Also a piece on Alex Fletcher retirement.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 28, 2024 9:01 am

Did any of the Bristol City youngsters catch the eye yesterday regarding us having them on loan?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:46 pm

comrade powell wrote:Did any of the Bristol City youngsters catch the eye yesterday regarding us having them on loan?

Yes the goalkeeper did but hopefully that won't become an issue this season.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:47 pm

comrade powell wrote:Did any of the Bristol City youngsters catch the eye yesterday regarding us TVhaving them on loan?
I thought they were very disappointing to be honest

threeday week

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:48 pm

comrade powell wrote:Did any of the Bristol City youngsters catch the eye yesterday regarding us having them on loan?
I thought they were very disappointing to be honest

threeday week

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:33 pm

Good deal selling cooke. Got 15k for a player whose heart wasn't in City anymore. He scores a lot but mainly penalties . Also injury prone and won't play with a niggle like russe or parselle. He probably do well at torquay so fair play. End of the day players get tapped up and players have the power these days if they want to leave any club. Think we've sold 100k worth of players under gills reign. I Always say team spirit is worth its weight in gold over any namby pamby arrogant instigator on big wages. City currently have spirt in abundance. Only 1 bad apple ben garner I can remember recently and he got booted out the club. If the whole club unite we could be top 7 again. Lots of full time and hybrid teams this season so will be tougher than ever. Looking forward now too new season. COME ON YOU STRIPES.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Jul 30, 2024 8:57 am

At this level having someone who can stick penalties away regularly is a valuable asset. We've had a terrible record on pens.
Who will take pens now?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:24 am

Paul1978 wrote:Good deal selling cooke. Got 15k for a player whose heart wasn't in City anymore. He scores a lot but mainly penalties . Also injury prone and won't play with a niggle like russe or parselle. He probably do well at torquay so fair play. End of the day players get tapped up and players have the power these days if they want to leave any club. Think we've sold 100k worth of players under gills reign. I Always say team spirit is worth its weight in gold over any namby pamby arrogant instigator on big wages. City currently have spirt in abundance. Only 1 bad apple ben garner I can remember recently and he got booted out the club. If the whole club unite we could be top 7 again. Lots of full time and hybrid teams this season so will be tougher than ever. Looking forward now too new season.  COME ON YOU STRIPES.

Ben Gerring you mean. Ben Garner is a former Rovers coach.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:47 am

Ben Gerring you mean.
Now assistant manager at Tiverton

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jul 30, 2024 9:52 am

Ben, that sounds like those defending Harry Kane. I’m sure someone else in the squad (Wilson?) can be a successful penalty taker. 
I’m not sure if Cooke’s heart was no longer in it, Paul, but take away his penalties and his goal return for the last 18 months was pretty ordinary for a first choice striker. For me he was never the same player following his mid season injury in 22/23 and we rarely saw his earlier sharpness again. 
It will be interesting to see how he fares at Torquay.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and Paul1978 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Jul 30, 2024 1:14 pm

I felt Cooke suffered after Fletcher's injury. They had a good partnership. Cooke and Wilson have never looked like a partnership.
Wilson has looked sharp in the friendlies so far. Hope he can take that into the new season.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell, Beau Nash, 2weirdtown, Paul1978 and Mazzer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:10 pm

Good point about Fletcher
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jul 30, 2024 2:20 pm

Manchester Romans wrote:
Ben Gerring you mean.
Now assistant manager at Tiverton

Red carded in a friendly at Yate last night for protesting about an offside decision! My friend at the game says he hasn't changed...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Jul 30, 2024 3:07 pm

The lad ought to get help for his anger management
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content