Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Borehamwood

+8
Paul1978
Ashley
Luton Roman
Mazzer
2weirdtown
comrade powell
Beau Nash
BenE
12 posters

Go down

Borehamwood Empty Borehamwood

Post by BenE Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:00 pm

City deservedly beat a side that didn't appear to want to win just stop us from playing. Had to work hard for it which must have been tough after the exertions against Yeovil.
Not a lot of quality on show but at least there weren't many there to witness it.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Borehamwood Empty Re: Borehamwood

Post by Beau Nash Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:12 pm

On a very cold day with a biting wind which was coming from the west City guts out a 1-0 win.

In the first half, playing towards the Bristol end and against the wind, City found it difficult to control play. Boreham Wood were pressing hard but couldn’t break down a rock solid City defence and possibly against the run of play it was City who came closest to scoring on two occasions.

In the second half City were dominant and in control so in the 86th minute scored what proved to be the winning goal. There was little alarm for City after that and they saw out the four minutes, could / should have been more, of extra time.

This was my first game of the season and I had forgotten how uncomfortable the blue seats are. The floodlights need upgrading and there are quite a few not working making it difficult to see the action.

The low attendance is understandable with the cold weather, the number of home games recently and that season ticket holders had to pay…the prize money will help.

Beau Nash
Beau Nash

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:56 pm

Agree, not a great game but a very welcome result. A pity it came so soon after Wednesday’s game and the whole place seemed really flat with a small crowd not helping. I don’t know why the floodlight bulbs haven’t been replaced but there is a distinct shadow in the corner at the Bath end. Perhaps the prize money from today can be used to buy some!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:57 pm

655 would have been a decent crowd on a cold December day not so long ago - especially for a Trophy tie
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazzer Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:07 pm

I recommend the popular side on a windy day - much warmer! Many regulars don’t attend cup matches perhaps because they’re not covered by season tickets? A good result today from a gutsy performance.

Mazzer

Midsomer-chris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:41 pm

And the tea hut in there to boot!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Midsomer-chris and Mazzer like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:04 pm

Admittedly there only looked to be about 40 from Borehamwood but that must have been 35 more than Beaconsfield brought.  Yet a team one level below attracted 350 more than one from one level above.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:50 pm

comrade powell wrote:Admittedly there only looked to be about 40 from Borehamwood but that must have been 35 more than Beaconsfield brought.  Yet a team one level below attracted 350 more than one from one level above.

Ok, over a 1000 for Beaconsfield v 665 today.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:28 pm

Mazzer wrote:I recommend the popular side on a windy day - much warmer! Many regulars don’t attend cup matches perhaps because they’re not covered by season tickets? A good result today from a gutsy performance.

Can confirm that behind the Bath end goal was about 10 degrees colder than the pop side today!

Ashley

2weirdtown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:07 am

2 weeks rest for boreham wood. 3 days rest/jobs after a massive local derby for us. who was full time? who was fresher? well proud of our 16 man squad. brilliant when the deserved winner went in. hardly surprised at 665 attendance. christmas soon, 3 big games in 8 days is very expensive. especially for a family of 4.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:04 am

Struggled to understand the time wasting by Borehamwood particularly the goalkeeper. Did they think in the event of a draw there would be a replay or were they confident of winning a penalty shootout. Until we scored I was expecting the appearance of Lines & Freer in the last minute of additional time to be available in the penalty taking.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:09 am

They were clearly playing for penalties and the goalie is notorious for time wasting. It was the first time I remember beating a team he has played for, as annoyingly, he is a good goalie.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:20 am

With the £4500 prize money, that makes it equivalent to a four figure attendance.  It's an extra game to the presumably forecast revenue for the season.
Doesn't look like any injuries picked up.
All in all a good day.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:42 am

My comment on comparing yesterday's attendance with Beaconsfield's was based more on the fact that 1000 for a match v Southern League opponents at the earliest stage for us was so high. Perhaps yesterday's low turn out was more to do with it following so soon after Wednesday's.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazzer Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:52 am

BenE wrote:They were clearly playing for penalties and the goalie is notorious for time wasting. It was the first time I remember beating a team he has played for, as annoyingly, he is a good goalie.

My son thought they were called Boring Wood

Mazzer

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:24 pm

comrade powell wrote:Agree, not a great game but a very welcome result. A pity it came so soon after Wednesday’s game and the whole place seemed really flat with a small crowd not helping. I don’t know why the floodlight bulbs haven’t been replaced but there is a distinct shadow in the corner at the Bath end. Perhaps the prize money from today can be used to buy some!

I take it you are volunteering to pop up the ladder and change the light bulbs.

City 'til we're relegated

2weirdtown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:46 pm

Not sure that £4500 would equate to a 4 figure crowd. Even taking out 200 season ticket holders that would only equate to just under £6 per head.
And we now have to play Braintree on a Tuesday evening rather than on a Saturday afternoon so some potential attendance loss.
With regard to changing the floodlight bulbs perhaps we should offer it as a thrill experience to local University students at £20 a go.

Peter Newman

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:59 pm

Wonder if we could get that Braintree game scheduled for the Thursday during Christmas again, would definitely be a better crowd than a midweek in Feb or something. I think it was them who hosted Chippenham on that Thursday last season too so potentially a favourable option for them too.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:19 pm

I must say that I do wonder how their No. 4: Jack Payne did not get a straight red for wiping out Jordan.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:34 pm

He wasn't the last man and the challenge was judged well enough by the player to bring Jordan down without it being dangerous. Jordan was hurt but it was because he was at full tilt.
Mind you I think the ref thought about it quite a bit. Thanfully justice was done in the end.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:07 am

BenE wrote:He wasn't the last man and the challenge was judged well enough by the player to bring Jordan down without it being dangerous. Jordan was hurt but it was because he was at full tilt.
Mind you I think the ref thought about it quite a bit. Thanfully justice was done in the end.

I agree he was not the last man.

BUT, it was a complete "wipe out".

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down