Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aveley thread

+4
Peter Newman
Paul1978
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
8 posters

Go down

Aveley thread Empty Aveley thread

Post by Luton Roman Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:57 pm

Not the no hopers envisaged at the start of the season. No doubt they will continue to surprise for a while yet with an experienced manager in Danny Scopes, formerly at Concord, in charge, and experience such as Jonathon North in goal who has denied us on many an occasion, though shipped a few when with Slough. Other players have been hoovered up from Concord and Hornchurch to form a tidy unit that have surprised many experts and bookies.

This will be a battle but City will be buoyed by the fine win over Weymouth in midweek that got the goalscoring habit back. Be good to start keeping more clean sheets though with just 1 in the last 10 games

Luton Roman

Beau Nash and Kieron75 like this post

Back to top Go down

Aveley thread Empty Re: Aveley thread

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:23 pm

I'm expecting a more streetwise opposition than last Tuesday.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:23 pm

Domination. Get in. Why was Wilson goal disallowed. Jordan Thomas is pure class. Cooke hat trick.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:21 pm

One of the most comprehensive displays I've seen in recent years. Early goals meant Aveley were going yo have a lot of the game with possession but City worked hard, got the foot in, got the head in, denied them pretty much anything. Thats the team in 2nd plac. Well done Jerry and City for executing a perfect game plan. Stars all over the pitch Greenslade never gave the huge no.9 a sniff, Russe was everywhere, Batten immense, JT always a threat, Scott hard working, oh and the Cody hat trick !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:24 pm

i have seen a number of sides that include "big" players but today we seemed to be up against the Harlem Globetrotters! Unusual when the keeper is  the shortest in the team.

Fortunately Aveley were not so competent when the ball was on the ground. I think the only time our goal was really threatened was at the start of the 2nd half but we defended resolutely and then always looked the more likely to score.  I suppose if we had conceded early in the second then we might have come under real pressure from set pieces but overall it was a fairly convincing performance and deserved win.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:07 pm

I thought it was the most convincing performance of the season so far. How encouraging to see us taking the game to the opposition from the kick off and never allowing them to settle. And what a difference Cody makes to this team.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Midsomer-steve and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:59 pm

Spot on all of you.
Luke Russe deservedly MOM. His reading/anticipation/intervention is spot on. Now, if only he could shoot like Adie Harris! (Yes, I was there)
Special mention to Scott Wilson who ran his socks off all game, and Cody Cooke who won plenty of aerial duels.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:51 pm

comrade powell wrote:I thought it was the most convincing performance of the season so far. How encouraging to see us taking the game to the opposition from the kick off and never allowing them to settle. And what a difference Cody makes to this team.
Would be heavenly if we attacked from the off every game and went 2 0 up after 10 minutes every game. However I think all teams want to attack from the off including our opponents. Sometimes we have to play tactical and suss opposition out a bit. Would be amazing if we attacked from the 1st second but football don't work like that. Need patience Sometimes. We were patient against Taunton and scored 2 screamers in a 2nd half of 3 goals. I like Cody and Wilson upfront together but sometimes we might need 1 up front for tough away games.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:55 pm

2weirdtown wrote:Spot on all of you.
Luke Russe deservedly MOM.  His reading/anticipation/intervention is spot on.  Now, if only he could shoot like Adie Harris! (Yes, I was there)
Special mention to Scott Wilson who ran his socks off all game, and Cody Cooke who won plenty of aerial duels.
OMG 0 2 down against Darlington in 95th minute. Hector Mackie gets a late consolation but oh no Harris hits a screamer for a 2 2 draw. What a day. Reminds me for all the bleak times there's just as many good times. Loving the buzz at the moment. Buse has signed on for the season too.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:01 am

Aveley appeared to have only one plan. The long diagonal ball to the big number 9. Even when Danny Greenslade had him in his pocket.
Agree totally with Russe as MOM. Stillman suggested Dave Clark may have chosen the hat-trick scorer but Russe was impressive throughout resulting in Aveley being snuffed out if they reached the final third.
You have to say that being 3rd after 15 games or so shows we have the right mix this season.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:14 am

Paul1978 wrote: Buse has signed on for the season too.

Has that been announced?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:20 am

comrade powell wrote:
Paul1978 wrote: Buse has signed on for the season too.

Has that been announced?
Paul Williams programme notes.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:22 am

Aveley thread 20231111

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:53 am

Thanks, that’s good news. So presumably he is available for the two matches v Yeovil.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:20 pm

Sometimes scoring two so early can lead to complacency but we managed the rest of the first half well and could probably have scored a couple more.

As others have said, once we weathered the first ten minutes or so of the second half Aveley never looked like hurting us and I don't recall Buse having to make a save.

From behind the goal the two disallowed goals were a bit of a mystery. The first one the referee gave then appeared to change his mind when surrounded by Aveley players and for the second one he didn't appear to blow for the penalty before the ball went in.
Mattered not in the end though and thoroughly deserved the win.

Agree about Russe as man of the match. I think he must be one of Jerry's best signings and is the sort of player we have needed in midfield for a long time. I am sure it isn't a coincidence that it all fell apart in the second half against Weston when he was replaced at half time.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down