Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Predicted line-up vs Concord...

+11
thomasmaxbaer
Roman Mike
2weirdtown
sned
BenE
comrade powell
Corstonian
Beau Nash
yuffie
Mark Tanner
stillmanjunior
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Predicted line-up vs Concord... - Page 2 Empty Re: Predicted line-up vs Concord...

Post by Corstonian Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:52 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:We finished just short of the play-offs last year, Gary. And we've lost one game so far this season. We had some great performances last year and have tried to build a younger squad for this time out, which fans have been after.

It seems a majority of level-headed supporters have steered clear of the forum after this game, I'm starting to wish I'd avoided looking at it as I knew we'd have the usual complete fly off the handle reaction to one poor performance, with some already condemning us to relegation! I wasn't too pleased at how yesterday panned out, bar the first 10 minutes or so we were pretty abysmal. Probably only played at that level two of three times last season.

I personally would have picked both players that were left out but I have no idea what's been going on at training and so on. I think Walshy will start Tuesday and hope he will. We lost one game with him in the side last season? Makes a difference. There's no way we'll be unchanged for the Basingstoke game.

I didn't go to the Meet the Manager last week (thank God it's not tomorrow!) but from what I heard the feedback was quite positive and the general feeling was we're moving in the right direction. Then an hour and a half of football is played and suddenly we're going nowhere, the management don't have a clue, players treated appallingly and a crisis is emerging. Heavens forbid we lose on Tuesday night, we'll end up with the "they don't want promotion" garbage again.

Couldn't agree more with this summary - we had a bad day at the office with both players and management seemingly needing to take their share of the blame, but it was just one game not a trend. I'm sure all concerned will be angry and disappointed with themselves, and I expect to see a positive reaction on Tuesday. But I might have guessed the Howells-must-go fraternity would have their fingers poised for action after having nothing much to say during our solid run of results which ended last season.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Predicted line-up vs Concord... - Page 2 Empty Re: Predicted line-up vs Concord...

Post by LB Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 pm

It will be interesting to see what the line-up is tomorrow - there is a school of thought that says you should give the players involved in a result like that another chance, but I would be surprised if Phil Walsh at least didn't come in.

It is easy to be despondent after a result like Saturday's, but it is just one game in a long season. I seem to recall that John Relish reckoned you shouldn't look at the league table until 10 games had been played, which seems pretty good advice. With the next 3 games at home because of Salisbury's demise things could look a lot different (or a lot worse!) in a couple of weeks.

Keep the faith.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:10 pm

well said. whatever the result from the 1st game, it's unwise to look too much into it as we don't know how strong or weak the opponents are compared to everyone else. if concord are unbeaten at the end of september, saturday's result won't look quite so bad - but if they fail to win another game in that time it would suggest we'll have problems.
I would be amazed if Walsh doesn't start tomorrow. As someone else said, he's not going to get match fitness sitting on the bench. Frankly he should have come on in the last half hour at Concord with the game already lost. Our defence were all over the place at times, with little protection being offered by the midfield. It would be a brave manager who persevered with that line up...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Few chill pills need dishing out. Worth remembering that 5 years ago, at the start of the season we were promoted to Conference Premier, we were 4-0 down in 20 minutes at Chelmsford...

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:51 pm

Probably not worth remembering that now. Oops

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2