Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chelmsford 1 City 0

+4
tovid
kermit
Beau Nash
Luton Roman
8 posters

Go down

Chelmsford 1 City 0 Empty Chelmsford 1 City 0

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:37 pm

Disappointing defeat where City ultimately paid the price for a lacklustre 1st half where a lack of touch and sharpness allowed the home team to gain an increasing foothold and a tap home from a cross to score the only goal of the game. Without Raynes and Batten but with the return of Dyer, a late arriving City (just before 2pm) struggled to create much in the 1st half, with several corners unerringly meeting a home head, a feature of the game throughout. A Dyer looping header apart, City couldn't seem to get much passing going in the final third and the home keeper was certainly the less busy of the 2 goalies. Clarke indeed pulled out some fine saves, the best from a curling free kick, as Chelmsford tried to put the game out of sight. City couldn't get any width in their game, contrary to the home team where they got wide and behind City's defence a few times, with one leading to the goal.

The 2nd half saw City up the work rate in proportion to the rain lashing down. Luckily the City fans were under the covered end so could watch in the dry as City, with Jones, Fletcher and Cooke to the fore, raised their game but could still not make any inroads against a stalwart strong home defence that just about one every meaningful header in their box. City had several corners but did not trouble the keeper as the Clarets headed clear time and time again. The key point in the game came when a marauding DSB run in the box was stopped by Chelmsford tacklers right in front of us with the poorly positioned ref giving a penalty, after strong home protests and a chat with the lino it was changed to a corner. I must say it did look like the tackler got the ball and the lack of protest seemed to confirm it, nevertheless the change of mind still galling. The pressure and corners kept coming for City without any real chances until Fletcher shot deflected and produce an excellent save from the keeper. Even Clarke came up for a couple of final corners until the game petered out at the City end and Chelmsford could celebrate their 3rd successive win.

City can dwell on another game where a point at least was there for the taking (the lack of draws is telling in that we should be able to turn some defeats into points) where perhaps the loss of Raynes was critical in missing his midfield strength, and with too many players off their game meant that a decent City following could only look forward to the Hemel game where the home team will be looking to record their first home league win of the season.........

Last edited by Luton Roman on Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Luton Roman

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Chelmsford 1 City 0 Empty Re: Chelmsford 1 City 0

Post by Beau Nash Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:47 pm

In the BCR commentary it was said that near the end Clarke headed over from a corner, should he of done better? scratch
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:56 pm

Good summary Gerry, but it was the new lad from Yate who was taken down for the penalty dispute.
Overall we were not at the races yesterday. A knock back but onwards to Hemel on Saturday...with a few pints in Saint Albans before the game!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:04 am

I think Sims Burgess should change his name. Everyone calls him the new lad from Yate
tovid
tovid

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:10 am

kermit wrote:Good summary Gerry, but it was the new lad from Yate who was taken down for the penalty dispute.
Overall we were not at the races yesterday. A knock back but onwards to Hemel on Saturday...with a few pints in Saint Albans before the game!

Yep I've changed it, given it was right in front of us I'm off to Specsavers, shame as I was looking forward to Withey knocking in the cross...

Looking at the pictures I do wonder whether both teams playing in same colour socks didnt help the penalty decision making.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:41 am

I pointed out the same colour socks before KO. Chelmsford wore their away socks at our place, I'm sure in our last couple of visits we've worn black ones.

My first call was 'penalty' but I was up in the Gods and had just said Sims-Burgess was denied by a stunning block when Michael corrected me in saying he'd totally mishit it.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:51 pm

Perhaps we could get a group discount at Specsavers
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:20 pm

Just watched the highlights and it does look like the Chelmsford player got the ball, but I do wonder if both players having white socks didn't help. To be honest I don't think it was that different from the penalty given at Chippenham!

Frustrating though that one of the potentially winnable games has passed us by and the momentum gained from the two Chippenham games has been lost.. We need to get some points on the board this month because February is pretty daunting with Maidstone, Dartford and St Albans away and Dorking at home.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:07 pm

Has Dave put up his highlights. Question

Here are the Chelmsford ones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSwkQiW1rSE - we are spoilt by the quality of Dave and junior but Chelmsford do have a reverse angle camera.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:32 pm

LB wrote:Just watched the highlights and it does look like the Chelmsford player got the ball, but I do wonder if both players having white socks didn't help. To be honest I don't think it was that different from the penalty given at Chippenham!

Frustrating though that one of the potentially winnable games has passed us by and the momentum gained from the two Chippenham games has been lost.. We need to get some points on the board this month because February is pretty daunting with Maidstone, Dartford and St Albans away and Dorking at home.

Those of us watching just a few yards from the incident agreed that the original award was very generous. The sort which would have infuriated us if it had been awarded against City.

The play offs look as far off as ever now. Over the past ten seasons the average points won by the 7th placed clubs has been 1.57 which suggests we’ll need to target between 60 and 65 points…at least 36 points from 20 matches. That’s 12 wins in this season of no draws. Not impossible but, as you say, we need to be beating the likes of Chelmsford.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:28 am

Beau Nash wrote:Has Dave put up his highlights. Question

Here are the Chelmsford ones - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSwkQiW1rSE - we are spoilt by the quality of Dave and junior but Chelmsford do have a reverse angle camera.

Agreed. Their comments about to the two keeper saves one at each end, speak volumes.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:48 am

The save by the Chelmsford keeper towards the end of the match was the best I've seen this season. It was a very well struck shot, possibly took a deflection and was low down. Incredible reflexes.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down