Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Live streaming to continue?

+9
Manchester Romans
daven
Dave
kermit
2weirdtown
Peter Newman
stillmanjunior
Colin Voutt
comrade powell
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Live streaming to continue? Empty Live streaming to continue?

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:11 pm

Although many fans will be eagerly looking forward to getting back inside grounds in the near future, there have been so many changes to the goal posts in the past 9 months that I'll believe it when it really happens. And even if it becomes a reality it's unlikely to be just like what we're used to.

I see that Dorking are selling tickets for both home and away fans for upcoming fixtures, including our visit next Saturday, but that won't necessarily be the norm. And of course no fans will be entering the tier 3 grounds in Kent and Slough. When you add those fans who are reluctant to take the risk before vaccines are available I wonder if clubs will continue to provide the online streaming of matches. According to this interesting article the answer is probably yes...

https://www.footballinbracknell.co.uk/features/in-depth/51400/the-non-league-matchday-live-stream-might-just-be-here-to-stay/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-non-league-matchday-live-stream-might-just-be-here-to-stay

Despite the occasional problems, especially during the early streams, I think we should all be grateful to the likes of Ciaran at Hungerford. I thought the quality of our stream on Tuesday was really good - a big well done to Dave Phillips, Bob Chester, Quentin Edwards and the other commentators for all their efforts. And not forgetting Jon Bickley who deserves a lot of praise for coordinating things and ensuring that problems have been dealt with.  

As we've no match today I might watch the stream of Hungerford v Dartford instead. Despite what it says in the article it's free of charge but they invite donations. You do need to register first...

https://hungerford.nationalleague.tv/register/
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Live streaming to continue? Empty Re: Live streaming to continue?

Post by Colin Voutt Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:26 pm

comrade powell wrote:Despite the occasional problems, especially during the early streams, I think we should all be grateful to the likes of Ciaran at Hungerford. I thought the quality of our stream on Tuesday was really good - a big well done to Dave Phillips, Bob Chester, Quentin Edwards and the other commentators for all their efforts. And not forgetting Jon Bickley who deserves a lot of praise for coordinating things and ensuring that problems have been dealt with.

Agreed. Both the camera work and commentary ( far, far better than the unprepared waffle I experienced last Saturday) were excellent.

Technically, I only had 3-5 seconds of buffering. Well done.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:34 pm

I hope the waffle is not referring to us Smile someone helpfully put on our Matchchat that they thought Hampton’s commentary was better than ours, under an anonymous name obviously. About 10 others I’ve spoken to have the opinion that they were fair but it wasn’t much fun to listen to. Lovely lads but two of many who are using this as an opportunity to try and be humorous, which might be fine for some but not me. Fortunately with me behind the mic humour is at a premium on BCIR.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:06 pm

I thought Hampton's commentators were quite entertaining but the few minutes I listened to before switching to and synching BCIR contained very little proper commentary. It was primarily a conversation between the pair and I don't recall hardly any mention of our players.

Despite that I've yet to hear a NLS commentary this season which goes anywhere near the drivel produced by the BT summarisers and pundits. And they're on huge salaries...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:26 pm

I thought Hampton's streaming was fine on You Tube. I think Hapton commentary team were OK but perhaps felt they had to speak every second of the match. I did begin to think however that every Hampton player was called Da(h)vid Fisher.

For some reason I could not get any sound for Dulwich. I connect the laptop to TV through an HDMI link but have done this before without any problem. I checked the connection afterwards by playing a random You Tube video and everything was ok.

Did not turn it off and on although that might have been the technial requirement!

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:45 pm

I could hardly hear the commentary on Tues. It was quiet, and at times almost drowned out by a lot of shouting from somewhere (nearby?)
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:15 pm

2weirdtown wrote:I could hardly hear the commentary on Tues.  It was quiet, and at times almost drowned out by a lot of shouting from somewhere (nearby?)  
same problem for me too.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:24 pm

That was partly my fault - I turned up the effects mic too loudly and it obviously causes some interference. I dashed around and turned it down after half an hour or so.

If we stream for the next home match I won’t plug it in at all and see if that helps.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:22 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:That was partly my fault - I turned up the effects mic too loudly and it obviously causes some interference. I dashed around and turned it down after half an hour or so.

If we stream for the next home match I won’t plug it in at all and see if that helps.

Certainly your announcing the teams in the TP (why was that necessary?) conflicted with the teams being announced on the streaming.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:18 pm

Let's be realistic - we have to operate with limited resources so not going to get TV equivalent standard. Yes it is a bit annoying at the time but overall we need to be grateful that we have the opportunity to watch matches.  When we are stood on the terraces we do not have a commentary to listen to - so the fact I could not hear it was no real difference to me.
I suppose our poor form has built up fan's overall frustration so minor problems become exaggerated to some degree.

As for a general enquiry does our stream/commentary have a built in delay factor similar to live coverage by Sky/Bt etc?

Peter Newman

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Quite an entertaining game at Hungerford. Dartford looked very ordinary before ht and were behind following a very soft penalty decision. Second half they presumably benefitted from Steve King’s ‘encouragement’ at the break and were deserved winners with two well taken goals. The ref was the one we had on Tuesday - had a shocker.
Although they lost Hungerford will be tough opponents next month - nothing like the team who have struggled for the past few seasons.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:11 pm

Colin Voutt wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:That was partly my fault - I turned up the effects mic too loudly and it obviously causes some interference. I dashed around and turned it down after half an hour or so.

Certainly your announcing the teams in the TP (why was that necessary?) conflicted with the teams being announced on the streaming.

Been told the effects mic is not the reason.

I think all the teams we've played away, maybe bar Oxford, have announced teams. I've been asked to try and keep it feeling like it's a matchday as much as possible from the management. That and we have people, home and away, doing social media updates so if I announce the minutes it helps them. On the games I've watched on telly BCD I think they all announce teams. One of the speakers in the pop side is close to where we are commentating so it could drown them out a bit, the worst I've known from it at an away game was the Yeovil friendly because our stand was basically empty.

Peter hit the nail on the head - because we're losing games, it feels like everything is wrong and gets blown out of proportion. If we'd even had an indifferent start half of these subjects wouldn't be raised.

I didn't watch the Dartford game but looking at their bench they had so much ammunition to win a game. Berkeley-Agyepong was fantastic against us the other week yet he wasn't even in their starting XI, think he was sent off last week and they'll miss him.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:35 pm

Can anyone that had issues with the volume level of the commentary on the stream (not the mixlr radio) let me know what sort of device you were watching on? Do you still have the same issue on the same devices if you watch the stream recording linked below?

Was the issue persistent throughout the match?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOy8sYd2pDs

The levels were adjusted 15mins or so in to the match, so hopefully the commentary was clearer after that?
The replays didn't have audio but the match audio should have continued during them, have rectified that setting since.
I'd love to turn off the Pop side speakers and have nobody stood on that side of the ground but neither is feasible really. With any luck we'll be away in the Trophy and everyone will be allowed back in for the Hungerford game and we'll never have to stream again cheers

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Watched on Huawei tablet. Background voices slightly less from around 15 mins so commentary a bit clearer. But not great throughout. I dont get a lot of volume generally on the tablet. I get more volume on my Asus laptop.
It's much the same on the youtube highlights.
Thanks for all your efforts though, they are much appreciated.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:23 pm

Dave, the commentary was fine for me once the levels had been adjusted. I was watching the stream via Edge on my PC.

The speakers have been a problem throughout the ground for many years. Some are too loud while if you are near others you can hardly hear anything. I assume that this will end if the redevelopment happens - it’s a shame that the streaming has been spoilt by the speaker nearest the gantry. Tuesday’s match wasn’t the first when it has been an issue. Personally I think if possible it should be disconnected until fans return.

As for your last sentence, I can understand your frustration but I think there will be calls from many supporters who will be reluctant to return to matches at present for the Club to continue the streams. And I’m sure they join me in thanking you for all your efforts on our behalf.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:35 pm

Clicked on the above link but was unable to obtain any sound through my Lenova Laptop. I then switched to the internet facility on a Sony smart TV and was able to hear the commentary.

Then tried again on the laptop but switched from Chrome to Edge and had the audio feed. So it would seem it depends upon the browser being utilised. Not aware of which browser the TV uses although it could be a discrete Sony application.

On earlier streams I had gone straight to the TV instead of using it as an HDMI extension screen of the laptop - but found it a pain if ever needing to retype when reconnecting as using the screen keyboard is not that user friendly.

Having read through this posting I have almost convinced myself that I know what I am talking about!

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:53 am

Watching Match of the Day, have to say you can hear intrusive shouting especially Palace v Newcastle
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by daven Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:05 pm

I thought the live streaming Tuesday was first class! I hope live streaming at Twerton continues.  I am disabled and unable to get to matches and to watch City matches live is a real blessing for me. I am quite prepared and happy to pay for these.

daven

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:57 pm

I agree. I’ve already watched more City games this season than in the last two put together! For exiles it’s a great treat being able to watch games live, even if the performances have been disappointing. I hope the service can continue.

Manchester Romans

daven likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:04 pm

Its tricky. Must be a point that streaming affects attendances. Fine if you could block streaming in the home teams area or make it fee paying, but we've seen what football looks like without fans. Sterile.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:25 pm

Well ours is fee paying. There will be some reluctant to return before the vaccines are available and of course it’s attractive for the visiting club’s fans whose money will go into our coffers. Maybe away fans will be admitted but presumably only if they’re from the two lower tiers.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:06 pm

We have exiles -some overseas -who can’t get to home games. I think there is a future for streaming and we could probably charge more once fans can return.

Whilst we are in the tiers I’m currently in 3 so can’t travel to City home games.

pete mac

comrade powell and daven like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:57 pm

comrade powell wrote:There will be some reluctant to return before the vaccines are available.

As someone who has to take drugs for their health and not averse to innoculation pet se I am rather surprised at the acceptance that a vaccine that has been produced using a completely new process, using products that were not previously authorised for use, with rushed and limited testing should be rolled out nationwide. But this is the new normal.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:01 pm

But it would be good if the excellent live streaming could continue for those that can't get to games. Perhaps there could be some sort of registration process.
tovid
tovid

daven likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:09 pm

I don’t see why the present system couldn’t continue. STHs are provided with a password, others pay.
comrade powell
comrade powell

daven likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next