Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brian Carter

4 posters

Go down

Brian Carter Empty Brian Carter

Post by comrade powell Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:55 pm

The club were informed today that Brian, who played for us in the 60s has sadly passed away. The website archive states....

Dorset born Brian began his career locally with Weymouth before joining Portsmouth in January 1957. The wing-half spent four seasons at Fratton Park then moved to Bristol Rovers. He switched to City during the 1961-62 season and would go on to spend six years with the club, making nearly 250 appearances.

He played in the same team as Ron Walker and Ian MacFarlane both of whom died in the last couple of years. This was when I first watched City but I can't remember very much about him. If anyone does have memories please post them here - it would be nice to get a tribute in the programme.

I found an article on the Weymouth website describing a lovely gesture made by the Terras on Brian's last birthday....

https://uptheterras.co.uk/2018/11/29/former-footballers-very-special-birthday-thanks-to-the-terras/

RIP Brian
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Brian Carter Empty Re: Brian Carter

Post by LB Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:35 pm

I might be wrong but I have it in the back of my mind that he was a City director for a while, perhaps in the early 70s. Others might be able to confirm this.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 am

Brian was playing when I first watched City in 1965. As the archive states, he was a wing-half - as defensive midfielders were described back then - with the ability to make crunching tackles. I may be wrong about this but I seem to recall that for a brief period City fielded two Carters in the same team, Wilf Carter having signed while Brian was still at the club.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 am

I remember him well from when I first started going to Twerton Park. He was a solid if not spectacular player but always one of the first names on the team sheet.
I don't think he was ever a City director but I have some vague memory that his name was linked to a consortium looking to take over a club in the area (not us) in the past. Looking at his obituary in the Dorset Echo it says he ran his own business successfully for over 40 years so perhaps this gives an indication my memory may be correct.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down