Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City Cricketers

4 posters

Go down

Bath City Cricketers Empty Bath City Cricketers

Post by CityJon Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:29 pm

Looking forward to the Cricket tonight in aid of a very good cause. The City boys play on the same ground as our former player and founder Billy Hyman who on the 12 July 1902 scored 359 no against Thornbury CC while playing for Bath Cricket Club. He was particularly severe on the bowling of Dr E M Grace, a former England Test player and brother of W G Grace. He hit 32 sixes and 30 fours in the Bath total of 461 for six. At the time Billy Hyman was a Schoolmaster at South Twerton School and lived in Oldfield Park. He also managed to play his first game for Somerset v Yorkshire on 28 June 1900. His last game for Somerset was v Essex on 1 Sept 1914.
The good book 'Stars in Stripes' shows that William Hyman was top scorer with 32 goals for Bath City Football Club in the 1900-01 season. He was also a stand out player for City over several seasons. William Hyman was born the son of a Miner in Radstock in 1875 and died in 1959 at St Austell, Cornwall.

CityJon

Back to top Go down

Bath City Cricketers Empty Re: Bath City Cricketers

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:53 pm

(Copies and pastes for commentary notes).

Good info that. I think it’ll be a great event, hope this predicted thunderstorm stays clear...

I think Steve Perrin and Steve Phillips have played minor level in more recent years, and Adie Britton has a big interest in the sport.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Stars of the 60s Ron Walker and Len Beale played regularly for Lansdown while legends Paul Gover and Kenny Allen over a decade later for Bath.

Here’s hoping for a great game and turn out tonight. The word on the street is that BR have some useful cricketers.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:10 pm

Steve Perrin was a very useful cricketer and played minor counties for Wiltshire. I chatted to him when I went to a Melksham game in the past year or so and he said how he wished he could still play and that he really enjoyed his time at Twerton Park.
A very good keeper, remember him saving 2 penalties when playing against us for FGR at their old ground in the FA Cup.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Agreed, Steve was a great servant to the club. Remember how he helped us out during a goalkeeping crisis.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 pm

A very enjoyable evening at Bath CC tonight. Some great batting with plenty of sixes and a couple of outstanding catches. Great to see the three clubs join forces to raise vital funds for the Foundations. Well done to all those who arranged things. Oh and we lost narrowly.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:50 pm

Considering it was announced at under a week's notice, I thought it went swimmingly*, really well attended and, although I'll readily admit I'm not a rugby man, I managed to meet some good people from their club tonight. Next year with more notice I think it could become even better. Glad it was a close game as well and that one team wasn't bowled out for 20 or something. Can tell Matt Bower has played before and Adam Mann had the pick of the catches.

* bar the scoring, where one poor bloke was left with the electronic and manual method having loose knowledge of operating the former. I'll not try and keep up with doing it again in a hurry, was all over the place after about three overs.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down