Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cup Fever WSM v Bath City

+20
davebart
turnstyle13
Jon_BOA
2weirdtown
Dusty Lynfield
pete mac
bonzo dog
SteveS
Ashley
Marcus Stevenus
stillmanjunior
Luton Roman
Colin Voutt
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
LB
Peteboa
Beau Nash
suffolkexile
tovid
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Cup Fever WSM v Bath City - Page 2 Empty Re: Cup Fever WSM v Bath City

Post by pete mac Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Agree with Steve. We don't deal well with a physical game. We won't win anything unless we sort that.

Jerry made a lot of references to 'emotional' in his post match comments.

I was very disappointed but it was sadly predictable so didn't feel so bad.

Have been here many times before over the years.

Great support from City fans.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Well that draw cheered me up a bit....at least WSM didn’t get a big team.....I thought they were going to get Portsmouth at the end!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:12 pm

Weston will need to open more than two turnstiles if they get Wrexham!

Agree with Pete Mac - this is far from the first time that City have raised my hopes only to dash them, and I am sure it won’t be the last!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:13 pm

City were like rabbits caught in headlights for the first quarter. Looked like the pressure had got to them. No bite in midfield and Effete in particular poor first half at least.
So disappointing given the fantastic City support.

You'd think a club at this level would be able to get 1,000+ in on time. The way I read previous comments they've broken the rules re alcohol.
There was a WSM player on (2nd half at least) with no number on his shirt. Illegal? Can we get it replayed?! Jeez, desperation.
On a positive note, I took a young nephew who loved it and apparently hasn't stopped talking about it since.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:59 am

2weirdtown wrote: You'd think a club at this level would be able to get 1,000+ in on time.  

I managed to just about get in before 3, but some of the group I was with were further back in the queue after getting different taxis, a WSM director walked past, and someone asked him if he could open an extra turnstile, and was met with the response "If people got here on time they'd have got in." We got to Weston's ground 25 minutes before kick off as we know they're useless, how early do they expect people to arrive! Evil or Very Mad

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:15 am

This is a genuine question as I have no idea, but how many turnstiles do we have open on matchdays?

Weren’t the crowds quite similar between league and cup games? I can’t imagine queues were snaking down to the High Street at TP.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:22 pm

We generally aim to open 5 turnstiles, but sometimes it can be 4. If there is segregation or a special promotion or event, then more will be open including 1 or 2 at the Bristol end.

Having queues down the High St would be a nice problem to have - last time that happened in significant numbers was the Woking play off final - but generally we don't coz the simple reason that
- we have more open
- all our turnstile operators are super efficient and most important all
- our wonderful supporters don't come to the gates in the last 10 minutes before kick - off and have the right money ready so no fathing about with change.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:17 pm

I think it's worth adding that our super efficient turnstile operators are all volunteers - and I know that the club is very grateful for their reliability.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:22 pm

comrade powell wrote:Yes, Steve, I am following this up and also with some fans who are making these accusations against Jerry. It doesn't really help when some didn't actually witness what is said to have happened.

To hopefully put this issue to bed, I'd like to say that Jerry was good enough to contact me, explaining that he made no gesture at the end of Saturday's match.

Peteboa told me that his allegation was based on hearsay and others I spoke to, bar the supporter who made the allegation to Peteboa, say they saw no offensive gesture. I'm grateful for those forum members who took the trouble to contact me.

I hope supporters welcome the thanks Jerry has published on the website for the great support shown for the team at Weston. It really reflects his love for our club and I hope all fans will continue to back him and his squad.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by davebart Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:36 pm

The administrators do not want any further speculation on this matter. If you have anything to add or query please PM either myself or comrade powell.

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:49 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:
Marcus Stevenus wrote:Have I missed something or have the laws changed on smoking and drinking alcohol in the stadium?

Various supporters openly drinking pints from plastic glasses from the bar on the terrace, as well as the sweet smell of those fruity vape things.

If it’s ok, why is it not allowed at Twerton?

I was unsure whether this was an actual rule or not so was guilty of taking my pint outside pre-match.  Stood next to 'main' stand while players warmed up and enjoyed the sun and beer.

This is all completely baffling. I happily enjoyed a pint at the Stale Buns game. Great game, nice beer. The beer was being sold out in the open by one corner of their ground; no fuss. Are they breaking the rules as well?

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:07 pm

Maybe it depends on the ground licenses which individual clubs have with their local authorities.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:21 pm

the demon headmaster wrote:
Steve Whites Missus wrote:
Marcus Stevenus wrote:Have I missed something or have the laws changed on smoking and drinking alcohol in the stadium?
Various supporters openly drinking pints from plastic glasses from the bar on the terrace, as well as the sweet smell of those fruity vape things.
If it’s ok, why is it not allowed at Twerton?
I was unsure whether this was an actual rule or not so was guilty of taking my pint outside pre-match.  Stood next to 'main' stand while players warmed up and enjoyed the sun and beer.
This is all completely baffling. I happily enjoyed a pint at the Stale Buns game. Great game, nice beer. The beer was being sold out in the open by one corner of their ground; no fuss. Are they breaking the rules as well?
I think the difference between the game at St Albans and the game at Weston was that the game at Weston was in the FA Cup.  From my understanding, the alcohol ban applies to all games in the FA Cup, but not in Conference South.  However, I think it may be the case that the alcohol ban still applies at Twerton Park as it is a former Football League ground.

FA Cup Rules 13 (b) (iv) wrote:Glasses, glass bottles, or cans containing alcohol are not permitted outside of the Clubhouse and must not be brought into grounds. No alcohol is to be consumed in the ground or premises during the period of any match, except as may be governed by the terms of the club licence with regard to its own members, but, notwithstanding such, no alcohol is to be taken or consumed outside the licensed clubhouse or any other authorised area during such match period or brought into the ground.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:29 pm

I remember a few months ago I completed a Club Bar Questionnaire, and they asked about whether I supported the idea of the Club getting its drinking licence changed (to have a beer within sight of pitch).
I said yes - It would stop the issue where you feel you have to squeeze one in before the game and at half time... there have been at least three occasions I can think of where I've missed goals a couple of mins into the second half.
I don't know how much it would cost the club to get licence changed/additional stewrding, but surely it would more than pay for itself with the extra sales we would make?
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:02 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:
2weirdtown wrote: You'd think a club at this level would be able to get 1,000+ in on time.  

I managed to just about get in before 3, but some of the group I was with were further back in the queue after getting different taxis, a WSM director walked past, and someone asked him if he could open an extra turnstile, and was met with the response "If people got here on time they'd have got in." We got to Weston's ground 25 minutes before kick off as we know they're useless, how early do they expect people to arrive! Evil or Very Mad

They will have to get there even earlier for the Weston game as it is kicking off at 12.45 (on Sunday 11th) as it is being filmed by the BBC so that they can show the highlights in their F A Cup coverage that afternoon. Will be interesting to see how they cope as apparently Wrexham are taking 1500 to Chesterfield tomorrow.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:06 am

mods are deleting my posts because of .... offensive language? racism? sexism? nope...merely because they disapprove of the content.

Mental.
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:06 pm

As I understand it, we can't have beer in the ground as, as has been mentioned, the ground is still regarded as a Football League ground due to Rovers' tenancy. I am not sure whether this can be changed back - for instance, Torquay still won't sell beer in the ground. Maybe, as the bar will probably change in some manner for the redevelopment, this question could be asked at the next consultation meeting.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:06 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:As I understand it, we can't have beer in the ground as, as has been mentioned, the ground is still regarded as a Football League ground due to Rovers' tenancy. I am not sure whether this can be changed back - for instance, Torquay still won't sell beer in the ground. Maybe, as the bar will probably change in some manner for the redevelopment, this question could be asked at the next consultation meeting.

Yes you're close, we're a "designated sports ground" harking back to the Rovers days. Apparently there is no obvious legal way to relinquish this status once you've been awarded it, but hopefully we'll figure something out. In terms of league regs, pints near the pitch are allowed at Conf South/North and below, but not at Conf Prem, or during FA Cup games.

Last edited by OliverH on Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed "registered sports stadium" to "designated sports ground" having googled it)
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Peteboa wrote:mods are deleting my posts because of .... offensive language? racism? sexism?  nope...merely because they disapprove of the content.

Mental.

Good to see that at least some internet forums are taking a tough line on "fake news"... Zuckerberg take note Very Happy
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:01 am

Marc Monitor wrote:As I understand it, we can't have beer in the ground as, as has been mentioned, the ground is still regarded as a Football League ground due to Rovers' tenancy. I am not sure whether this can be changed back - for instance, Torquay still won't sell beer in the ground. Maybe, as the bar will probably change in some manner for the redevelopment, this question could be asked at the next consultation meeting.

So it matters if you are a ground where league football was formerly played? Surely the rules applying to league grounds become null and void as soon as league football ceases to be played there?

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:40 am

the demon headmaster wrote:

So it matters if you are a ground where league football was formerly played? Surely the rules applying to league grounds become null and void as soon as league football ceases to be played there?

Please see my earlier post - we had to become a "designated sports ground" in order to host Rovers, and we have not been able to rid ourselves of that designation since. In theory, it would appear that we would have to reduce our capacity to below 5000 to deregister -

https://sgsa.org.uk/regulation/about-designated-grounds/
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:47 am

OliverH wrote:Please see my earlier post - we had to become a "designated sports ground" in order to host Rovers, and we have not been able to rid ourselves of that designation since.
As I understand it, the legislation regarding alcohol within sight of the pitch refers to the designation of the event taking place rather than the designation of the venue.  The consequence of being a designated sports ground is that a safety certificate is required for that venue.  I imagine that the conditions of the safety certificate for Twerton Park would include the restriction of alcohol consumption to the clubhouse.

It is possible that there are other designated sports grounds that have safety certificates that do allow consumption of alcohol at pitchside, large rugby stadia, large cricket grounds, and so forth.

Coming back to the situations at Weston and St Albans.  The legislation regarding alcohol in sight of the pitch would not apply to either match, it applies to Premier League, Football League, Conference National and the FA Cup from the First Round Proper onwards (and any other matches involving Premier League or Football League teams, such as League Cup).  However, as I quoted earlier, there are FA regulations prohibiting alcohol consumption outside the clubhouse at all FA Cup matches.  Therefore, drinking alcohol on the terraces at St Albans, at a Conference South fixture was fine, whereas drinking alcohol on the terraces at Weston, at an FA Cup fixture was not illegal, but did contravene the FA's regulations.  Of course, if they do the same thing when they play Wrexham in the next round, that would be illegal.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2