Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The annual who are we going to play next year thread

+21
SASCHA
kermit
Luton Roman
comrade powell
Colin Voutt
stillmanjunior
LB
SteveBradley
Jon_BOA
Marc Monitor
2weirdtown
suffolkexile
Steve Whites Missus
SteveS
Ashley
BenE
Dave
Roy D Hacksaw
the demon headmaster
Bluebird
Freeview Joe
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The annual who are we going to play next year thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The annual who are we going to play next year thread

Post by SteveS Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:09 pm

I think Frome arrived with only 10 players and then another got injured in the warm so they started with 9. Josh Jefferies resigned sighting financial problems and, I believe, the state of the pitch. I think he has said he may return if things get sorted but it looks like they have major problems.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

The annual who are we going to play next year thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The annual who are we going to play next year thread

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:59 pm

A quick update. Billericay finally bagged the Isthmian title tonight, so the comedy circus will be running through town next season.

Below them, a Leiston win put paid to Margate's chances, barring a six goal last Saturday reverse. Staines were knocked out of the running last night, but Leatherhead still have two to play, and can still just about catch and pass both Hendon and Leiston.

The Southern League awaits the results of the final day's matches before we get to find out which of the chosen four match each other in the play-offs.

And leaping up to the Nationals, a Barrow draw tonight means that Woking are still only a point behind going into the final round of matches, meaning that a Woking win and a Barrow defeat would save them. But Barrow are home to long-since-doomed Chester, while Woking are lumbered with a home game again Dover, who can still just about make the play-offs with a big win. So the odds are that we'll be welcoming The Cards back to Twerton next term.

But who else will join them is anyone's guess.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:04 pm

So on the last day of the regular season we know a little more about who's going where next term.

Sadly Woking's luck ran out in the National National and they settled in the dropzone for good, joining Torquay with us in the South next season.

The play-offs in the junior leagues are now settled.

In the Isthmian, with Billericay guaranteed of promotions, Dulwich Hamlet will play Leiston, while Hendon play Folkestone Invicta.

In the Southern, with Hereford as champs, King's Lynn play Weymouth, while Slough Town have bagged Kettering.

There's clearly a lot of football to be played before we discover whether we get The Bulls down South, and indeed anyone from the Northern chapter. But there's the prospect of some pretty interesting away games, whatever the results. Who do you fancy out of that clump?

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:24 pm

As we're losing three seaside trips, Folkestone and Weymouth please.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:17 pm

Weymouth and Dullwitch Hamlet for me

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by suffolkexile Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:40 pm

Leiston for the east coast exiles please

suffolkexile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:12 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:Weymouth and Dullwitch Hamlet for me
Me too. Dulwich very well supported and would bring a fair few to TP.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:15 pm

Hereford, Torquay, Chippenham and Dulwich Hamlet for me. (if that can happen).
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Tue May 01, 2018 10:40 am

Hereford would have been great, but I fear that ship sailed with Woking come down rather than Barrow. At least Woking is relatively easy to get to on the train.

Dulwich is an odd one, as they will still be playing at Tooting & Mitcham, and while the get good home crowds, they don't travel in any numbers. Most of their away fixtures are in and around the 300/400 attendance mark, so if they can't be bothered to travel to clubs within a few tube stops I can't see many coming to Bath.

As an aside when Hemel was postponed we were already almost in London, so ended up watching Wingate & Finchley, neither their fans nor Thurrocks lot were enamoured with DHFC, although to be fair it may have been jealousy.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Tue May 01, 2018 3:40 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:Hereford would have been great, but I fear that ship sailed with Woking come down rather than Barrow. At least Woking is relatively easy to get to on the train.

Dulwich is an odd one, as they will still be playing at Tooting & Mitcham, and while the get good home crowds, they don't travel in any numbers. Most of their away fixtures are in and around the 300/400 attendance mark, so if they can't be bothered to travel to clubs within a few tube stops I can't see many coming to Bath.

As an aside when Hemel was postponed we were already almost in London, so ended up watching Wingate & Finchley, neither their fans nor Thurrocks lot were enamoured with DHFC, although to be fair it may have been jealousy.

I'd say 300-400 travelling for Dulwich away games is a very good crowd - both in real numbers, and as a percentage of their home gate. We bring on average probably 50 or so to away games, vs average home crowds of about 600 ? It's also not the case that they only have to travel a few tube stops to get to fixtures - most of the other clubs they play in London are not on the tube (incl Hamlets themselves), and travelling across London is a slow business - let alone getting out to the likes of Folkestone.

I've no doubt Dulwich would bring more than pretty much any other club to away games around Conference South if they go up. Especially in the first few seasons whilst it's all still a novelty for them. I'd expect them to bring over 100 to Bath, for example, as it's a relatively easy journey from London.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Tue May 01, 2018 3:51 pm

Sorry Steve, that was possibly badly worded, I'm not saying they take 300/400 fans, I meant that the attendances of their away games seem to barely change. E.g. the total attendance at their away games stays around 300/400 as it does whether it is DHFC playing or not. The idea that they're well supported and will bring lots to Twerton isn't shown by their current travelling.

That said, it's non league, the only sides I ever remember bringing lots to Twerton are either a) ex-league sides with big crowds or b) teams with something to play for at the end of a season.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Tue May 01, 2018 3:56 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:Sorry Steve, that was possibly badly worded, I'm not saying they take 300/400 fans, I meant that the attendances of their away games seem to barely change. E.g. the total attendance at their away games stays around 300/400 as it does whether it is DHFC playing or not. The idea that they're well supported and will bring lots to Twerton isn't shown by their current travelling.

That said, it's non league, the only sides I ever remember bringing lots to Twerton are either a) ex-league sides with big crowds or b) teams with something to play for at the end of a season.

Fair point Jon.

I still think Dulwich would bring a decent crowd to Bath - especially in the first few seasons. No-one travels away much at the Isthmian level, as it's not that great an experience tbh. As they go up a level I suspect more will take the chance to visit new and interesting places/grounds. Even if only 5-10% of their usual home crowd travelled to a Bath game, you'd still be talking over 100 people.

Hopefully time will tell, as I'd love to see Dulwich go up.

P.S. Does anyone know if Billericay have done anything to their pitch or ground since they were last in Conference South ? The playing surface was like a ploughed field when we last played there

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Wed May 02, 2018 10:31 pm

OK, so we are back to Truro and Hemel Hempstead next season. So far so good.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed May 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Billericay ground vastly improved but pitch still a problem.
Hemel had over 1100 there tonight.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu May 03, 2018 12:20 am

The Southern League Premier final is between Kings Lynn and Slough - if Slough get through I think that would put paid to any likelihood of Hereford going South next season.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu May 03, 2018 9:35 am

Luton Roman wrote:Billericay ground vastly improved but pitch still a problem.
Hemel had over 1100 there tonight.

Hemel missed their last three penalties in the shootout. Ouch.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu May 03, 2018 9:35 am

And it's looking increasingly likely that we'll be paired with Weston again rather than Chipp at Xmas/New Year.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Thu May 03, 2018 11:01 am

comrade powell wrote:And it's looking increasingly likely that we'll be paired with Weston again rather than Chipp at Xmas/New Year.

There is one trip I will not waste any time on.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu May 03, 2018 12:07 pm

It's a shame that we nearly always go there in the middle of winter. A Saturday or bank holiday fixture early in the season would probably be very popular.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu May 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Dulwich v Hendon in Isthmian final so another trip to London. Yippee.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu May 03, 2018 11:30 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Dulwich v Hendon in Isthmian final so another trip to London. Yippee.
On a pub basis, I hope it's not Hendon. The landlord of the nearest boozer couldn't be bothered to connect the handpumps, so that makes it even worse than the dreadful landlord at the Braintree pub. At least Hendon FC had two decent beers in the clubhouse.
However, showing my ignorance here, I've no idea where Dulwich Hamlet play these days, I guess it's not Champion Hill any more, but being a hipster club they are bound to sell some 'draught Benolyn from a small craft brewery'. Some of them make Doom Bar taste reasonable! Sorry Steve!
Hey ho.......maybe we will be drawn away to Halesowen Town in the cup next season, with a visit to the Wagon and Horses, following midday mass in the local church......ask our SLO for details if unfamiliar with tradition.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Fri May 04, 2018 1:42 am

kermit wrote:
Luton Roman wrote:Dulwich v Hendon in Isthmian final so another trip to London. Yippee.
On a pub basis, I hope it's not Hendon. The landlord of the nearest boozer couldn't be bothered to connect the handpumps, so  that makes it even worse than the dreadful landlord at the Braintree pub. At least Hendon FC had two decent beers in the clubhouse.
However, showing my ignorance here, I've no idea where Dulwich Hamlet play these days, I guess it's not Champion Hill any more, but being a hipster club they are bound to sell some 'draught Benolyn from a small craft brewery'. Some of them make Doom Bar taste reasonable! Sorry Steve!
Hey ho.......maybe we will be drawn away to Halesowen Town in the cup next season, with a visit to the Wagon and Horses, following midday mass in the local church......ask our SLO for details if unfamiliar with tradition.

Dulwich are currently playing in Tooting and Mitcham's ground in Mitcham (Imperial Fields). It's a nice wee ground, with a stand and some proper terracing. It's a bit of an arse to get to though, as it's about 20mins from the tube. There is a Tram stop close by, but that's only of use if you're coming from Wimbledon or Croydon directions. That said - Hendon's ground is no easier to get to either, so City fans will either have to head for London's northern edge (Hendon) or southern edge (Mitcham).

No-one knows if Dulwich will be back in Champion Hill for next season or not. Hopefully they will be, as it's a nice little ground (with its own bar) and is nearer transport than Imperial Fields.

Fingers crossed that Hamlet finally win a play-off and get promoted on Monday, as I think they'd bring a lot more to Conference South than Hendon would. Plus it would strengthen their case re Champion Hill.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri May 04, 2018 8:45 am

Of course, we played an FA Trophy replay at Tootings ground a few years ago. Bit functional.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri May 04, 2018 11:08 am

kermit wrote:

Embarassed
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Fri May 04, 2018 3:47 pm

My mother barely speaks these days and when she does it is often only to utter these words.
''Don't ever trust that Martin again''

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next