Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City manager

+41
SASCHA
Beau Nash
Grandma Gibbons
Dodgycarpet
Roy D Hacksaw
bone ash
Manchester Romans
City 'til we're relegated
OliverH
bonzo dog
comrade powell
yuffie
Midsomer-steve
Ashley
SteveS
Ancient Mariner
Bluebird
kermit
thegulls1981
Dave
LB
Major Icewater
London Calling
sirkev
Tapper80
Micawber
turnstyle13
BenE
sned
cbtroman
Marc Monitor
2weirdtown
stillmanjunior
Citylink
Jon_BOA
pete mac
Freeview Joe
Steve Whites Missus
Luton Roman
Dusty Lynfield
Sir Ged Roddy
45 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

City manager - Page 2 Empty Re: City manager

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:53 pm

Why on earth are people linking us with Nicholson? I know he played for us briefly, but he's hardly had any experience other than fire fighting with Torquay.

It's the first day Owers has left, deep breath everyone, and wait and see who the board comes up with rather than throwing names around.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by cbtroman Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:54 pm

[quote="BenE"] The reality is that Bath City is not a big club.quote]

That's true but Burton Albion are not a big club and yet are in the championship. Blackpool nearly stayed up under Holloway in premiership. Forest Green are now in the football league. Boreham Wood/Bromley/Sutton are above us in conference national. Yes luck/money was involved especially with Forest Green but no harm in punching above your weight if done sensibly.

Just as well go for it or else the club becomes meaningless except for historical value.

No doubt money talked with the Torquay job and there's not a lot the board can do about it but I would hate it if the club loses it's promotion focus

cbtroman

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:15 pm

Very disappointing news and for me totally out of the blue as I hadn't seen his name linked with the Torquay job. I did get the impression though that Gary was becoming increasingly frustrated at the limited amount of time available for coaching players at a part time club especially early season when there are so many midweek games. Even though it will be a struggle to prevent Torquay being relegated its likely that the appeal of working with players on a daily basis was difficult to resist.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Tapper80 Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:36 pm

I'm finding it hard to fathom why Nicholson's name is being mentioned so much, the board need to be more ambitious than this and aim to appoint someone with the contacts and experience Owers brought to the table. I don't have names but a thorough process needs to be put in place to get the right man to take us forward. I always thought Owers would do this again when a seemingly bigger job came up.

Tapper80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:44 pm

Whitehawk have got a new manager, (his 2nd time), the lovely Steve King, on a 3 year contract. It's a pity that City couldn't have had him!
http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/return-of-the-king-steve-back-at-hawks-39697

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirkev Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Well I didn't see that coming. Only been watching the Romans for the last 3 seasons and GO has done a good job in that time. When he took over for his second stint the team were in freefall with confidence on the floor. He worked miracles getting the team solid and bringing in the bit of quality needed (Kelly and Harvey) to keep us up. Last season was another step forward and after a bad start to the current campaign things are really looking up. The timing sucks.

sirkev

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Well after chipping in at the start of this thread, and hoping it would "all blow over", I have now come home from work to not only find Owers has gone, but "King Rat" Steve King is back in the Conference South.....just when I'd started feeling sorry for Whitehawk.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:14 pm

I'll never feel sorry for Whitehawk.

Ok, full reply...

Instant reaction was complete surprise, as it was when he left the first time. Probably more of a shock this time as I didn't think Torquay would offer him the job. That's not because I don't think he's good enough, just that I thought they were after someone higher profile.

Must admit I was, and am, gutted. Perhaps because I'm more involved nowadays so I've had the chance to speak to him a lot. Sure, I've spoken to him at his angriest, but bar one game (Gosport away) he would always hang around for a few words. It'd be honest (sometimes too honest) but always worth listening to. And when he was in a good mood I found him to be decent company, a witty bloke. I'm still going to think any less of him as a person simply because he's moved on, regardless of whether I agree with his decision. As mentioned before, circumstances are different. He clearly wants to still be involved full-time and you have to respect that. His last two games in charge of us were against Concord and Hungerford. He wants better. I doubt he came to this decision easily. It's not like a fan - if Torquay rung up and asked if I'd come along as well to cover their games on the radio I wouldn't.

In terms of a manager, well, his success in the transfer market is evident. He doesn't get it wrong often. His coaching has been praised a lot from current, and former players. Having watched it at the open day it looked well-structured and interesting. Obviously that's only a snippet but I was impressed.

My choice would be to give it to Jim for a few games, perhaps with an experienced ally, see how he gets on and decide from then. He might not want the job anyway. If not, I'd have no qualms about someone like Matt Taylor, who's been here before, has been coaching for the last year under an excellent manager in Paul Tisdale and is well-liked. We could do worse. I think Collier has done a cracking job at Chippenham but presume their budget is bigger than ours, so not expecting him to jump ship. He seems loyal.

Thanks again for the second spell Gary and hope you're given the patience to succeed at Torquay. I think he's been well supported throughout his time here, and who knows, he could turn things around. They can't be much worse.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:52 pm

Still feeling a bit numb on hearing the news to be honest.

I can buy in to the argument of him wanting to manage full time, at a higher level etc at almost any club other than Torquay United. They seem to have morphed in to the Blackburn Rovers of the lower leagues in recent seasons with unpopular owners, money problems and the fans getting close to boiling point if their forum is to be believed. Perhaps Gary has been assured he'll get time to turn things around there but if he ends up getting the boot should they go down at the end of the season then I think he'll regret leaving City.

Although I don't know him personally I did, like Juniour, speak to him on quite a few occasions after matches for BCIR. He always struck me as someone who really wanted to win and was (ironic as it may sound now) totally committed to Bath City. He was genuinely distraught after our cup exit to Potter's Bar and seemed from interviews I heard this season to respect the fact he'd been given a two year deal at a club that was owned by the fans.

Not sure I'm the best qualified to suggest replacements, but in terms of Nicholson - why not? I'd say keeping a club like Torquay in the National League for two seasons in his first managerial post is a darn good achievement and could bring some valuable contacts and knowledge of his own to Bath City. People need to appreciate the club is most likely not in a position to wave a big money contract in front of someone who's already attached to a club.

Rumour has it Sam Allardyce has already ruled himself out...

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Icewater Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:23 am

I wonder if a former player with high level coaching qualifications who's father is a keen City fan might be interested.

What about Charlie Griffin alongside Jim with Adie Britton as Director of Football as a long shot.

Going to be a few weeks of rumour and speculation

Major Icewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:18 am

Want somebody hungry for success, something to prove either in stepping up or that they still have it, good contacts, knows football at this level, proven track record, experienced, dont think it's the time nor place for a novice manager, impressive enough to keep current players and recruit others. Not much to ask really !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Citylink Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 am

Griffin just got Cirencester relegated.
Im throwing my hat at Collier. He was very succesful at Supermarine and has done a great job at Chippenham. He has good contact to pro clubs I assume as Chippenham currently have players on loan from Chelsea, Bristol City and Swindon. With the contacts I'm sure he will bring in quality to strengthen this already decent squad. His long standing assistant has also played at a high level and has coached at international level. I feel having these 15 miles down the road makes it an absolute no brainer.
Lets be honest, if Collier is not on a contract (possiblity) so we can take him and his staff for free I think we'd all be happy.

Citylink

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 am

I think some people on here are being a bit unfair with their criticisms of Gary. It is very disappointing especially just when things seem to be coming together, but this is football, managers come and go, get over it!

If he hadn't come in when he did a couple of seasons ago we could still be trying to get out of the Southern League and not sitting just outside the National League South play-offs! Although I never spoke to him he always came across in interviews as genuine and committed to the cause, and his record of signing players - either permanently on loan - was generally pretty good. Having said that, I would still love us to beat Torquay in the Cup or Trophy this season, or go up as they come down!

As for who might come next, why not Kevin Nicholson? I have a feeling that if he hadn't left for Torquay when he did he might well have taken over from Britton/Howells instead of Gary, and he didn't do such a bad job at Torquay in pretty difficult circumstances. However, as somebody else said, it is early days and perhaps we need to take a step back to see what the options are, and get Saturday's cup game out of the way first.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:48 am

Release our general manager and use the money to get Paul Bodin

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:01 am

Luton Roman wrote:Want somebody hungry for success, something to prove either in stepping up or that they still have it, good contacts, knows football at this level, proven track record, experienced, dont think it's the time nor place for a novice manager, impressive enough to keep current players and recruit others. Not much to ask really !

Lets pray one submits an application

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:19 am

Steve Whites Missus wrote:Release our general manager and use the money to get Paul Bodin

Would love it if Bodin did come back ... the best football I've seen down Twerton since Mr. Godfrey.

(... If we'd kept Zamora to the end of that season, and if Kevin Lloyd had been fit, we would have walked the DML Smile )
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by thegulls1981 Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

Hi all,

Torquay fan in peace here!

Have the say it was as much a surprise to us as it was to you on the appointment yesterday and first feelings were of disappointment. I agree we are a basket case of a club with the current owners and felt we needed a experienced manager like Paul Cox to get us out of this mess. However having read your posts and a few views on our own forum perhaps its the best appointment we could hope for under the current circumstances. Not exactly a job proven league/conference managers would fight for!

Anyway my main reason for posting was to discuss Kevin Nicholson, have read some views on here about him but I would encourage you not to judge him as a failure. Our club is a mess and under the circumstances on the whole he did well, no first time manager should have to deal with the issues he has had. He brings bangs of enthusiasm and has a great work ethic. I feel given the right opportunity he could do very well as a first team coach and would hate to see him not be given another opportunity. I dont know who the others are that you name but I do feel you could do a lot worse.

Anyway best of luck this season, you never know we may well pass like ships in the night!

thegulls1981

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:35 am

thegulls1981 wrote:Hi all,

Torquay fan in peace here!

Have the say it was as much a surprise to us as it was to you on the appointment yesterday and first feelings were  of disappointment. I agree we are a basket case of a club with the current owners and felt we needed a experienced manager like Paul Cox to get us out of this mess. However having read your posts and a few views on our own forum perhaps its the best appointment we could hope for under the current circumstances. Not exactly a job proven league/conference managers would fight for!

Anyway my main reason for posting was to discuss Kevin Nicholson, have read some views on here about him but I would encourage you not to judge him as a failure. Our club is a mess and under the circumstances on the whole he did well, no first time manager should have to deal with the issues he has had. He brings bangs of enthusiasm and has a great work ethic. I feel given the right opportunity he could do very well as a first team coach and would hate to see him not be given another opportunity. I dont know who the others are that you name but I do feel you could do a lot worse.  

Anyway best of luck this season, you never know we may well pass like ships in the night!
Thanks for that Kevin!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by thegulls1981 Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:52 am

Ha, did wonder if anyone would draw that conclusion!

I can confirm Im not Kevin! (or related to him or even know him, furthermore I dont even know if he will apply for the job).

I am just a supporter who is is very depressed with the current basket case of a club I follow and always felt a bit sorry for our manager. I feel he deserves another opportunity and doesn't deserve to be tainted by our failure, I came on here to read about our new manager but was surprised to see the negatively about Nicholson so thought I would try and offer a opinion.

thegulls1981

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Freeview Joe wrote:
Steve Whites Missus wrote:Release our general manager and use the money to get Paul Bodin

Would love it if Bodin did come back  ... the best football I've seen down Twerton since Mr. Godfrey.

(... If we'd kept Zamora to the end of that season, and if Kevin Lloyd had been fit, we would have walked the DML Smile )

True, but that was 17 years ago now. I expect Paul is happier working full-time in the background. If he wanted a return to management he would have done it in the intervening years. Other than a brief stint as caretaker as Swindon I think he's only managed younger age groups, been on a coaching team or an assistant. And I bet he's excellent in those roles, he might not want to be a manager.

Not sure if the comment about Carole was tongue in cheek either but didn't think it was necessary.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:07 pm

I think you are spot on Junior ... I think we'd stand a more realistic chance of getting Bobby Zamora back at Twerton than Paul Bodin (more's the pity)

I'd also like to add that I've always found our general manager very friendly and welcoming whenever I have met her, so long may she continue her work too.
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:08 pm

thegulls1981 wrote:Ha, did wonder if anyone would draw that conclusion!

I can confirm Im not Kevin! (or related to him or even know him, furthermore I dont even know if he will apply for the job).

I am just a supporter who is is very depressed with the current basket case of a club I follow and always felt a bit sorry for our manager. I feel he deserves another opportunity and doesn't deserve to be tainted by our failure, I came on here to read about our new manager but was surprised to see the negatively about Nicholson so thought I would try and offer a opinion.
Yes, it was only a bit of banter! Real shame it didn't work out for Kev down with you, but I guess he never really had a chance. Crazy though, that your owners now seem to have found some money for the new duo, but didn't want to give Kevin much.
Just hope they don't raid our squad for any new players.....well, I can think of a few they could have...for a fee of course!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Paul Bodin a class act on the pitch and yes we played excellent football when he was manager, often player-manager, but lets no forgot that he was part of a double act and when Steve White left, the team fell apart rather quickly. So maybe Chalkie was the footballing power behind the throne?
Whoever gets the job - one person or a double act - will need to work with the current team to build on the Owers legacy and inspire the team forward to improve our play and keep delivering results if we are to achieve what we all want this season. He/they should also inspire the club as a whole and embrace that whole community thing.
It will be interesting to see how our new community board deal with the first big decision they have to make.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:19 pm

There must be a temptation to go for a quick fix - I think Gary came in without a selection process, but I suspect the new Board will want to advertise and that I think is the right way to go unless there is an immediate stand out candidate.

I sure Nick B will do this but important he sees the players and Jim tonight to ask for their continued loyalty because we are going to win things. We are ambitious.

Agree with turnstyle - new manager has a great base to build on.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:16 pm

pete mac wrote:There must be a temptation to go for a quick fix - I think Gary came in without a selection process, but I suspect the new Board will want to advertise and that I think is the right way to go unless there is an immediate stand out candidate.

I sure Nick B will do this but important he sees the players and Jim tonight to ask for their continued loyalty because we are going to win things. We are ambitious.

Agree with turnstyle - new manager has a great base to build on.
Gary definitely came in through a pretty stringent selection process, with a large number of applicants and a reasonable number of interviewees. There isn't normally a great need to advertise, as those who would like the job apply pretty quickly anyway. I bet that there has already been a number of enquiries from the prospective managers, but I'm not sure if Tommy Saunders will apply!

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next