Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate The New Boys

+6
comrade powell
Ashley
sned
2weirdtown
stillmanjunior
Roy D Hacksaw
10 posters

Go down

Rate The New Boys Empty Rate The New Boys

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Right then, three games in and there's plenty to report for those who haven't made it to any of the games yet. And while you can't necessarily get too much of an idea how we'll play as a whole from watching the friendlies, you begin to get something of a feel for the new players' attitude to the game, even from such uncompetitive knockabouts.

So, of the players we know we've signed…

Anthony Straker
One of those scuttling wingbacks we seem to pick up intermittently, in a similar vein to the likes of Paul Stonehouse. Looks like he wants to get forward, but his distribution has been been a bit iffy so far. Feels like he'll be a solid addition to the squad, but need to see a bit more of him to get a handle on his game.

Jamie Lucas
Didn't really impress on his first two showings, but once he and Jarvis had been separated against Reading he seemed to have more space to show off his bustling, harrying style. He still doesn't have the work rate of, say, David Pratt, but on last night's showing does look like he could cause a few defences a spot of bother.

Nat Jarvis
I had scant memories of the eighteen-or-so minutes he played for us on his last visit, but I do recall him being a bit of a nuisance against us for Hungerford. So I was quite looking forward to seeing him. But I'm not sure that he's got to grips with our play yet. He and Lucas didn't really gel in the first two games, and while last night saw him a bit more active, he does have a tendency to want the ball to come to him, and seemed to get a bit grumpy when it didn't. I sense that he's got a bit more in him than he's currently showed, so I'm interested what he can offer us.

And what of the trialists?

Matt Cafer
This Weymouth lad (via Gibraltar) seems like a solid enough non-league keeper. He's quick to some to the cross, and seems to have pretty quick reactions - although he does have a thing for the continental style flying punch, which doesn't always seem to come off. He's also very vocal in marshalling his defence. However, if the Jojo Wollacott rumours prove true, he may have limited opportunities in the first team.

Toby Ayala
This fella most recently played for Gateshead, so GO may have got reports on him from his old pals up there. He looked busy and creative, but the thing that is perhaps of most concern is that he's already played for something like 15 clubs, and is only a tender 25 years old. This suggests that he either finds it hard to settle anywhere, has commitment issues, or perhaps has just suffered a run of bad luck. I wonder if we'll see him again this pre-season?

Harrison Bennett
Started last night, and made a cameo last Friday. He's a big, strong defensive player from the Reading youth system, but has failed to make too much of an impression so far. The fact he started though made me suspect he's near the head of the possibles list, and is the kind of solid, if unspectacular player that the manager seems to favour.

Reece Misso
As far as anyone can work out, he's Australian, and can offer the kind of muscular presence up front that we've been looking for. However, his chances have been limited so far, and despite his rocket of a goal last night, may only be on the fringe list.

Will Christopher
Came on in the second half last night, and made in instant impression. Tall, strong, and confident on the ball, I'd like to hope that this Swindon lad is in the consideration heap for the final trim down.

Papis-Franchois Mendy
Couldn't find out much about this fella, but he impressed with his first half performance. Imagine a cross between Manny Monthe and Sido. Tall and gangly, but with a calm assurance on the ball, and the ability to leave a striker looking foolish with the drop of a shoulder. Another player that I'd like to see more of. It would make much more sense having this chap as a centre half than playing Miles W-H out of position. (The spelling of his name - and indeed the next couple of players - might be iffy. I'm just going by the team sheets!)

Lucas Capo
Another fella I don't know a whole lot about. Played through the midfield in a creative role and impressed in patches. Scored one of last night's goals and had a hand in another one. Offers more than someone like Hunter has done over the last couple of weeks, but I sense that we need to learn more about him.

Palo Mendez
A big, strong attacking midfielder. The ball seemed to stick to his foot when he was barging his way through defensive traffic. However, he did go missing for big chunks of the half that he played last evening - but he was most definitely a welcome presence when he was anywhere near the ball.

Ryan Case
Another right back – we didn't see much of him last night, but he seemed calm and in control when we did. His last home appears to have been Eastbourne, but he's done time at Bournemouth, Basingstoke, Poole and Staines, and his face rang a serious bell. But do we need another addition for this already busy corner of the pitch? Or are Simmo's, and possibly even Dan Ball's days at the club numbered?

What was interesting at the Reading match was how well the second half line up played together as a team. This was especially interesting as a great many of them appeared to be trialists. This may of course be a case of them singing for their supper, but it turned out to be one of the most watchable 45 minutes of football we've played in a long time, and against a very decent Reading side.

It is also worthy to note how busy Marvin Morgan kept himself during his second half stint. If he can keep putting in that kind of performance over the season he may well win over some of the nay sayers - myself included. Are we to assume that he's being payed on a match-by-match basis? If he's not, that could be the answer to extracting the best out of this mercurial talent.

Hopefully last night's showing has given Owers some pleasant headaches when it comes to deciding who to keep on. There were a handful of players who impressed last night, and who you could see slotting easily into a striped shirt. But you would imagine that he'll be limited by how many he can actually take on. So will he be rueing some of his early concrete buys now that he's seen what else is on offer? Or are we to assume that everything is in hand?

It's going to be an interesting couple of weeks!

Last edited by Roy D Hacksaw on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Rate The New Boys Empty Re: Rate The New Boys

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:00 pm

After much searching we managed to find info on your missing players. I think Mendy is only known as Papis (or Francois Papis) and Capo's name is spelt differently, Capoue I think, like the Watford player.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks for that Roy. Over the years I've seen a few trialists who look good to me in these games only to be never seen again. If one or two players do get signed from friendlies and do well then that's a bonus on top of them being a training exercise.
Hope you enjoyed a trouble free trip home from Tolpuddle on Sunday.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 pm

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:00 pm

A pretty good resume Roy but I thought Case was the thumping centre half that put in that powerful challenge on the halfway line that meant business.

I must admit I did get confused about who was who. Is Harrison Bennett the new Ben Addelsbury?

I could see PF Mendy causing managers a heart attack as he plays his way out of sticky situations. It all came off on Tuesday and he looked a class above but what happens when it doesn't?

Lucas and Jarvis both put in improved performances without completely convincing but is encouraging after the first two sightings. But I would like to see more of Capoue who was very lively and skilful and especially Mendez who could be our Pogba.

What has happened to Darren jones? He is missing crucial pre-season time.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:39 pm

No sign of any of the three European players today. Darren Jones made his debut, and Jarvis scored both goals.

Wes Atkinson - a right back from Notts County played.

Cafer, Christopher, Case and Misso still with us, and Naby's brother got some game time!

I reckon we won't see Ajala again so maybe GO will go for Misso instead...

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Does anyone know who Adam Forster is? I was thinking he could be the young guy who often had our strikers taking shots at him at halftime last season.

GO mentioned he wasn't ready for 1st team action so though it could be him as he seems very young.

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:46 pm

So Cafer seemed to do well again. Worth signing? And Jarvis bagged 2, Inc a pen which makes him a cert! Does he look like our starting forward?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:56 pm

sned wrote:Does anyone know who Adam Forster is?

He's kept wicket for Timsbury's 3rd XI a few times on a Saturday and isn't a bad batsman either.

Keep football out of the cricket season Wink

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 pm

Cricket is kept out of the cricket season!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:24 pm

No sign of the French trio tonight so that may be the last we see of them. Thought the rb triallist did well but Christopher had his least effective game and Misso looked out of his depth.
Lucas and Jarvis both did well tonight and are improving game by game. It is good to see a pen go in at last.
Case carried on where he left off on Tuesday -solid.
Jones was about three stones heavier than I was expecting and his entire game appears to rest on carefully timed offsides. It was like a return to Tony Adams era.
If we signed Cafer I would not be disappointed but it looks like Woolacott is GOs preferred No1.
A mention for Naby too who had a terrific game.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 pm

Lol love the Jones game plan. Classic.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:00 am

Jones got comfortably outpaced by Jimmer in the warm down which was worrying! For those who saw big Chas at Larkhall a few years back, Jones physique is very similar to then.

Thought even though the penalty went in, it wasn't convincing, no idea what it is with us and penalties but I don't think I'll be confident when we get one when the season starts!

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:07 pm

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:20 pm

Looks like he's done the rounds, but GO seems pretty keen...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Compton

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Even Wiki was getting bored by the end! Waiting for County Exile to have a view. Well, Kaid had a few clubs...

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Shaw Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:35 am

Thought Jamie Lucas looked quite good last night- constantly going for the ball and tracked back on occasions as well. Also thought Ryan Case looked decent, he showed he could also play defensive midfielder in the 4-1-4-1 we lined up with second half so maybe a good replacement for Chas? Thought Ajala looked okay at times but he's not as good at Watto. Any idea where Compton was?? Interested to see how we line up come opening day, imo we look best when playing 4-4-2 but we've gone with 4-3-3 on occasions as well so not sure what we'll end up with

Also, do we have any footage of that sublime Darren Jones free kick? Would've given Axel competition last season Wink

Liam Shaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:28 pm

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-win-shows-bath-245230

Compton not fit but GO still hoping to sign him.

Case and Cafer signed for next season! Hopefully Compton, another keeper and maybe Ajala...?

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down