Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebsfleet Abandoned

+10
Luton Roman
Roman Mike
Dave
Ashley
BenE
A36
LB
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
WARM PENQUIN
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ebsfleet Abandoned Empty Ebsfleet Abandoned

Post by WARM PENQUIN Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:36 pm

With Citys best chance of a play off place being an Ebsfleet victory over Concord what a shame it was abandoned with the fleet 2-0 up! Power Cut may have lost us that slim chance of play off. Crying or Very sad 

WARM PENQUIN

Back to top Go down

Ebsfleet Abandoned Empty Re: Ebsfleet Abandoned

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:55 pm

There's a bit of concern about when the game can be played. Concord are playing next Wednesday I believe, so might have to be as quickly as this Thursday.

Was minutes after an Ebbsfleet player was sent off I think, so presumably that'll be rescinded.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:57 pm

i'm not sure it will be. didn't something similar happen a couple of years ago, when a key player was yellow carded in an abandoned game and it stood?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:05 pm

Not so sure I agree with the first post. I think the best result for us would have been for Ebbsfleet and Concord to draw, as that would have left Ebbsfleet 6 in front of us with both having 3 to play and Concord 1 behind with a game in hand and us still to go there.

I think it is a bit academic though, because if Ebbsfleet get 5 points from their 4 games and Havant 7 from their 5 they will both go on to 70. Even so, it is good that we still have a mathematical chance of making the play-offs at this late stage of the season, and it would be nice if a win at Gosport and other results going in our favour could take it into the final week.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:11 pm

Beating Gosport will be a tough task - they're absolutely flying at the moment. Hopefully won't be as depressing as that Tuesday night down there last season in the cup, which ranks in my top five of 'Worst days supporting Bath City'. More off the pitch than on it.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:17 pm

presumably sittingbourne makes your top 5....   pale
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Of course. I'll have to draft this up soon. Worcester 0-7 as well. And pretty much any trip to Eastleigh, blergh. At least we'll have a year out from going there after their win tonight pretty much won them the league.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:57 pm

and hopefully havant will join them for the same reason (assuming the miracle doesn't happen for us!)
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Ebsfleet Abandoned Empty Next Week

Post by A36 Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 am

Looks like the game has been rearranged for Thursday of next week (April 24th). So, Concord will be playing Saturday (home to Dover), Monday (away to Sutton), Wednesday (away to Basingstoke), Thursday (home to Ebbsfleet) and Saturday (home to City). Reckon they'll need a holiday after that lot.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 am

stillmanjunior wrote:There's a bit of concern about when the game can be played. Concord are playing next Wednesday I believe, so might have to be as quickly as this Thursday.
The problem with that would have been that Ebbsfleet are at home on Friday.
stillmanjunior wrote:Was minutes after an Ebbsfleet player was sent off I think, so presumably that'll be rescinded.
No, it won't (cards from abandoned games always stand, as the offence has still occurred).  As it was for a high challenge, I assume it was for violent conduct, which would mean that Corcoran will miss the entire play offs.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 am

Did 'no' realise Ebbsfleet's game was brought forward to Friday.

Concord will be on their knees by next Saturday.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:07 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:Beating Gosport will be a tough task - they're absolutely flying at the moment. Hopefully won't be as depressing as that Tuesday night down there last season in the cup, which ranks in my top five of 'Worst days supporting Bath City'. More off the pitch than on it.

Do you actually make lists like that? mentally or written?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:12 pm

It is quite unbelievable given all the games in hand teams had on us that we are still there or thereabouts. Concord and Havant have ridiculous schedules yet the latter have been winning games left right and centre. Bath City players usually look tired and jaded on a tuesday if they have put in a shift in the saturday game.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:35 pm

BenE wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:Beating Gosport will be a tough task - they're absolutely flying at the moment. Hopefully won't be as depressing as that Tuesday night down there last season in the cup, which ranks in my top five of 'Worst days supporting Bath City'. More off the pitch than on it.

I could make mine up now - in no particular order:

Worst
Grimsby (A) L 0-6
Bideford - I was mascot  No 
Alfreton H L0-3 (the 9 men night)
Supermarine replay
Pack the park day last season - big crowd in to then play like that.

Best
Play off final
Barnet
Yate
Gateshead Away first year in the conference - went by plane for 2 days and we scored late
The 5-0 win over those university lot in the promotion season

Didn't put the Grimsby cup game as I couldn't go  Mad

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:41 pm

BenE wrote:

yes he does and so do i! (i find i have the time because i'm not fretting about formations and tactics...  Wink )

our favourite is probably the weather list - coldest game, coldest game in may, hottest game, hottest game in england (this gives junior a chance as he wasn't at torhout), windiest game, wettest game, foggiest game.

another good one is 'other sports you can watch over the fence while at a game' - eg cricket at welling, rugby at bridgwater, hockey at enfield, hastings reserves at st leonards
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:47 pm

comrade powell wrote:

another good one is 'other sports you can watch over the fence while at a game' - eg cricket at welling, rugby at bridgwater, hockey at enfield, hastings reserves at st leonards

cricket too from the gantry at your dog's ground

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:21 pm

Cricket at Bromley as well I believe
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:35 pm

I am a reasonably optimistic person generally but I think our play-off chances are less than minuscule. I think you are deluding yourself if you honestly think we can do it, even allowing for floodlight failures and fixture pile-ups - which has to be the epitome of clutching at straws. We need to win all of our three remaining games (you see the problem?) AND we then need 3 other promotion chasing teams to collapse. I would absolutely love to be wrong. Here are some facts.

Max pts City can achieve: 69 (assumes 3 wins)
There are 4 other teams who could also get 69 points or more.
We have an inferior GD (at the moment) to all except Concord
The other 4 teams would need to do the following to achieve 69 points - and exclude us from the play off places

Ebbsfleet: 4 points from 4 games
H&W: 6 points from 5 games
Dover: 7 points from 3 games (inc Away to Concord Rangers)
Concord R: 11 points from 4 games (they have 5 games left but one of their games is against us)

Which 3 teams won't achieve this?
Remember, this assumes we win all 3 remaining games
Of course it is mathematically possible but I am talking probabilities here
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:12 pm

I think we all kinda agree with you Roman Mike, but where theres life there's hope, etc, and it kinda keeps the season going. I'm not going to be devastated if it doesnt happen, as I might be if I were a Dover or certainly a Havant fan. I'd like us to finish strongly as teams that go up generally do it after some strong seasons.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:29 pm

top 5
Cardiff away won 3-2
stoke away drew 0-0
yate away won 2-1
woking home won 1-0
Grimsby away won 2-0

many many more but of top of my head those 5, Worcester away 1-0 comes 6th !!!

bleakest 5
Dorchester play offs
Bedford play offs
alfreton home 0-3
Hendon 0-2 fa cup
forest green away 0-3
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:21 am

D'oh I forgot about the bedford game. The only thing about that being that it meant we could win the league the next season.

Edited to correct spelling mistake

Last edited by Ashley on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:57 am

Never been good at remembering specific games, but I will never forget Grimsby in the cup, and Yate to win the league. And I really shouldn't be able to remember the 2nd given the amount I drank after!
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:08 am

me neither - I tend to remember specific things - like Hector's goal against Darlington - or Phillips goal against Hayes in the same season (This because of Kaid's amazing run).
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 am

Off the top of my head - worst 5:
1. Bedford play-off defeat
2. Worcester 0-7
3. Dorchester play-off defeat
4. Gosport cup last season
5. Swindon Supermarine cup defeat

Dorchester I think was the worst I felt after a defeat because I knew we'd be a further level from the Conference and knew it wouldn't be an immediate return, was also after it felt like we'd turned it around. Relegation two years ago wasn't as bad two years ago because it was so inevitable, I said in August I'd be amazed if we'd stay up. Could have included countless cup defeats to lower league sides, Gosport felt worse because it absolutely hammered down and some of our 'fans' decided to have words with me during second half when I was taking pics. Swindon Supermarine was just galling.

Top five:
1. Yate
2. Woking
3. Barnet
4. Chippenham 4-2 when we were 2-0 down
5. Stoke

Stoke was my first ever away game. I didn't include Grimsby because although it was fantastic it was almost too straightforward, whereas Barnet how we won that I'll never know. The other three for obvious reasons, two promotions and a very unlikely win in the situation. Again I'm sure I've missed loads.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 am

I also didn't include the Grimsby 0-6 because although in terms of the scoreline it was a hammering, I can't say it was much worse than a lot of defeats that season. In fact I thought we played worse against sides like Tamworth etc and lost by a much lower margin. At Grimsby we were on top for 20 minutes, lapse of concentration and that was that. One of their forwards, forget his name, they were on about how he was likely to get a move to a huge club, ripped us apart. Think injury wrecked his career.

Was a bit like when we lost at home to Fleetwood. Overheard someone say they left at half-time because we weren't trying. Pfft, utter nonsense. They were just miles better than us. Jamie Vardy will be in the Premier League next year with Leicester, on that afternoon he was understandably too much work for our defence who haven't played any higher than the Conference since.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next