Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebsfleet Abandoned

+10
Luton Roman
Roman Mike
Dave
Ashley
BenE
A36
LB
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
WARM PENQUIN
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ebsfleet Abandoned - Page 2 Empty Re: Ebsfleet Abandoned

Post by Luton Roman Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 am

So many to consider:

Woking play off win - remember saying 'What are we gonna do now??'
Yate - pulling it back from 1 down when the spectre of a Team Bath title win loomed;
Leamington - 1978 title win, first trophy of any sort in my time supporting City
Cambridge 4-0 win - we rampaged that day and heartily told Ling he was getting sacked in the morning. He wasnt, but soon after;
Luton 0-0 - we matched them, big crowd, great atmosphere, we told them they were non-league but that stuck in my throat a little.

worst

Stockport 4-0 - worst ever, ever, waved a tenner at Adie and Jimmer as they applauded at the end shouting whether they needed more money to put effort in, I'd lost it big time;
Northwich - pulling back from 2 down to win after weeks of impressive results, but Stevenage let us down, Halifax won, and went on to win to promotion year after;
Bedford play off - early goal, never really looked like coming back, the thought of all to do the following season;
Stevenage 3-0, their place - New Years Eve, rolled over like country bumpkins by the London boys;
Enfield 0-1 - they finsihed with 10 men, we looked like we had less, 270 mile round trip to watch us play rubbish.

Phew.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:45 am

Woking was a funny one because it was just sheer relief at getting out of Conference South, and I really didn't expect it. Just the chance of playing big teams, even for a season, was something to look forward to. When we did it I was in shock, went home and in the evening looked at Football Ground Guide to see where we'd be going next season, it still didn't seem real.

If we hadn't had those two years I honestly think our attendances, particularly away from home, would have dropped even more. A two year break from trips to the likes of Eastleigh, Bishop's Stortford etc were most welcome. I know some away games in the Conference weren't much better, and people had issue with segregation, but on the whole I'd rather we were at that level than the one we are now.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:05 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
4. Chippenham 4-2 when we were 2-0 down
Oh yes - that was a goody!!
The Flying Postman!
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:39 pm

Obviously I have a larger back catalogue than recent glory seekers like Junior, so this is very difficult! However, my all time top 5 would be...

2-2 draw at Wealdstone in '77 - there were probably games in 1st season of BSP where we played as well, but that game always stands out for the all out attack displayed by both teams. The local rag (I lived in Harrow at the time) talked about it for years after and I felt privileged to have been there.

7-2 win at Weymouth - only a few weeks after the above game - it was clear even at Xmas that the league would be between the 2 clubs and we went down there with some trepidation. However, we wiped the floor with them, including my favourite City goal of all time!

3-2 win at Cardiff - a wonderful day out was capped by Deion finishing off that superb move

5-2 win v Farnboro - a week before the above game and the only truly memorable game I've seen at TP. All 7 goals were excellent, with Deion's introduction as sub completely changing the game and suggesting we had discovered a real star.

3-2 trophy win at Yeovil - fantastic fight back against the old enemy

Many others had to be left out - the great win at Camb united in BSP, the Woking play off win, Barnet, Bristol City, Stoke, Newport and Grimsby in the cup, the great escape at Worcester, any of the wins over Boston.

Worst 5.....

Northwich at home - although if results had gone our way, it would have been one of the best following a fantastic fight back.

4-2 defeat at Sittingourne - by some way the worst performance I have ever seen by City. Some home fans I was chatting to had to suppress their laughter at our pub league defending.

2-0 defeat at home to stafford in trophy - I thought beforehand this was the year we would actually get to Wembley. A bloke called Chris Camden ruined it with his 2 goals.

Swindon Supermarine replay - a dreadful night.

Hornchurch away last year - a gutless display which suggested things were just not right at the club. Resulted in a letter of complaint from the SC and a long unbeaten run!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 pm

I remember the letter from the SC. Things did turn around on the pitch after that. Was it a coincidence or did people actually need a kick up the @rse?

Was it evidence that supporters can make a difference?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:31 pm

I'd like to think it was pinned up in the dressing room to motivate the team. We had put up with a lot of substandard performances leading up to that game, which was the final straw for some of us.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Too many poor days to mention but lots of great ones. Cardiff in the Cup and any win over Yeovil. On the bad ones, I agree with Gerry on Stockport away. We both lost it at the end of that one. Absolutely dire.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:05 pm

I think you mean cricket at Bromley?

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2