Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Margate

+9
pete mac
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
BenE
Marc Monitor
yuffie
the demon headmaster
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
13 posters

Go down

City v Margate Empty City v Margate

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:57 pm

City win 2-0. Sounds like should have been more but first back to back league wins since August and unbeaten in 6 . Now to bridge the gap to the top 8.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City v Margate Empty Re: City v Margate

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:02 pm

Luton Roman wrote:City win 2-0. Sounds like should have been more but first back to back league wins since August and unbeaten in 6 . Now to bridge the gap to the top 8.
Yes, listened to the commentary on BCIR. What a professional job they do - a pleasure to listen to it.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:02 pm

That's a very big gap. Given that we struggle to put the ball in the net it's probably beyond us at the moment. However, there has been some good football and resilient displays recently.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:51 pm

I think today's showed why both sides are going to finish more or less where they are now. Two up against a side as woeful as Margate should have been the cue to run up a Somerset Premier Cup-esq scoreline. Instead the second half was a frustrating spectacle as Margate enjoyed the majority of possession. Despite that they never really looked like scoring and we still had the best chances. The fact that we still couldn't add to the scoring made it seem even more frustrating!

Of course, the lack of more goals may have been deliberate so that we didn't upset a Boy Name Nikki again and if we stick six on Truro in our next game* then it may show that was the case.

*Taking as read that Weston will be off with a few showers forecast down this way in the week.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:56 pm

I was amazed that the Joh Hutchinson coming on (which was correct) meant the removal of Watkins who seemed like the one player who would score more especially with Hutchinson's energy. Nick did a lot of work with no great end result and Morgan's mind write cheques his feet couldn't cash. Still, a win.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Couldn't have put it better myself yuffie. We have made very hard work of two very poor teams. There is a clear reluctance to go at teams that are there for the taking.

Morgan is quite frankly making it hard to watch. He hardly seems interested. And what was that wasting time in the corner at the end. Who's idea was that?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Margate were far better on that day. I think only one of their players started both matches.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Maybe the time wasting was a dig at what Margate did at the end of last season's match. Their manager appeared to be on his best behaviour today...

Fair play to the Margate fans who made the long trip - easy when you're top of the league but a real show of devotion considering their recent record.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:53 pm

Happy to win but totally frustrated by that second half. Old failures there- not clinical

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:07 am

comrade powell wrote:Maybe the time wasting was a dig at what Margate did at the end of last season's match. Their manager appeared to be on his best behaviour today...

Fair play to the Margate fans who made the long trip - easy when you're top of the league but a real show of devotion considering their recent record.  

Neither Morgan nor Rigg were here last season.

Yes very well done to the Margate faithful.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:49 am

2weirdtown wrote:
Luton Roman wrote:City win 2-0. Sounds like should have been more but first back to back league wins since August and unbeaten in 6 . Now to bridge the gap to the top 8.
Yes, listened to the commentary on BCIR.  What a professional job they do - a pleasure to listen to it.

I love you
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:37 pm

How long can Morgan go on like that? I propose we leave him on Weston beach with the other donkeys next weekend.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:24 pm

BenE wrote:Couldn't have put it better myself yuffie. We have made very hard work of two very poor teams. There is a clear reluctance to go at teams that are there for the taking.

Morgan is quite frankly making it hard to watch. He hardly seems interested. And what was that wasting time in the corner at the end. Who's idea was that?

Particularly with it seeming to be the team instruction: possess the ball and give it to Morgan.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:47 pm

I like the man but yesterday was awful. Ball retention was poor and when he passes he failed to find anyone but them. He became the butt of City fans second half mounting frustration.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:56 pm

It's not just yesterday though is it?
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:32 pm

yuffie was pretty accurate in his summary, we are a long way from being a team that can challenge at the top. When the loan players go back I reckon we need to bring at least 6 better quality players to make a realistic challenge.
I assume Axel and O'Leary will go back. The lad Welch-Hayes may get released and I think he has done enough to try and sign him long term. Phillips time is up so we will need a keeper, dominant centre back and another defender who could be Welch-Hayes. Then I would say we also need a midfielder who can chip in with a few goals, pacy wide man and of course a clinical finisher. The list is pretty long!
I think Owers is right to try and get the ones he wants on contract now as if Chippenham come up they would likely try and tempt some of our better players away as the Chairman is backing the manager with money. In addition to the ones contracted already I would try and get Batten, Watkins and McCootie to sign. Nick is not everyones choice and I don't think he will ever be a prolific scorer at this level. This season his fitness is a lot better and he has worked his socks off most games and he does rattle defenders. If you added 20 plus goals a season to this he would not be playing at this level so I would get him signed for next season if possible. Normally I would add Dan Ball to this list but concerned about his ankle injury. He had a bad ankle injury which led to his release from Bristol City, he did not look the same player prior to this long spell out and wonder how well he is going to get over it.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down