Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dartford thread

+5
Peter Newman
2weirdtown
BenE
PHILB1973#
comrade powell
9 posters

Go down

Dartford thread Empty Dartford thread

Post by comrade powell Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:51 pm

Now that the pre-season games are at last behind us we can concentrate on what really matters!
There’s someone on the Dartford forum who does an excellent job of giving a breakdown on each club in the division. Here’s his piece on ourselves…

https://puredfc.co.uk/season-preview-2023-2024-2

and his own club…

https://puredfc.co.uk/season-preview-2023-2024-6

He has most of the other clubs covered as well and it’s a good summary of how they fared last season and the comings and goings over the summer…

https://thedarts.eu/puredfc/viewtopic.php?t=556

Well done Disco Stu!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dartford thread Empty Re: Dartford thread

Post by PHILB1973# Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:08 am

There is a total lack of interest about our 1st game of the season judging by the 3 formats that I use at least (forum,twitter and Facebook).

Personally I was booked on the coach but of course that was cancelled due to lack of bookings and although I'm hopeful that once our home games begin interest will spike I must admit to being surprised by the non existent chatter. I will put my hand up to being one of those who hasn't really got involved in the build up as although I was going to the pre season games once I realised that I wouldn't be attending the game my interest waned a bit.

Anyway I'll be getting ready to go to my other love of my life Watford soon as this is where I get my football fix when I'm not watching City so maybe I'll write a report of their match against Q.P.R. when I get back if there is still no talk on this match.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:02 am

I think it is difficult opposition to start the season with and apart from Gloucester there has been little to get excited about in pre-season except the great news about Alex Fletcher.
Our recent record against Dartford is poor.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:16 am

Well BBC news showed interest this morning with a piece about Alex Fletcher. Also mentioned that he was travelling with the team to Dartford today.
For me it's summer and I don't usually get into it until holidays are over.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:22 pm

Wow what a performance. Dartford must have thought they were on course for a routine win but the grit and determination in evidence last season was back with a vengeance.
That perseverence is a great asset for the team.
BenE
BenE

2weirdtown, Midsomer-chris, Luton Roman and daven like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:04 am

We are in big trouble. We have got away with murder today and anyone who doesn’t see that and link it to pre season is in cuckoo land. Great grit blah blah blah but that overall performances was not acceptable.

I’ll be delighted if we replicate last season but with the money we seem to spend I can’t see how that is close to acceptable.

It’s day 1 of the season and we also had 4 subs. One more than a Sunday league side.

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:32 am

Well lucky for you lot that you don't get to hear about Watford's excellent 4 zip win over relegation fodder Q.P.R. and a goal after 25 seconds, a blink and you'll think you are watching Brazil and a sublime Louza goal performance.
Getting the updates and a last minute equaliser gave me an afternoon to remember and I look forward to next Saturday even though it wasn't lost on me either that Jerry still can't name a full bench.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:26 am

Not really sure how you can get away with scoring three goals.
As Mark Stillman said in commentary, we got 22 points from losing positions last season. In a lot of those games we didn't perform well for long periods, but the spirit in the side got us points.
Given that the bulk of the side is the same as last season I am expecting pretty much the same, so am reassured that we still have the grit. We are going to need it.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:31 am

PHILB1973# wrote:Well lucky for you lot that you don't get to hear about Watford's excellent 4 zip win over relegation fodder Q.P.R.
It seemed QPR were pretty hopeless. Nice of then to give you a flying start to the season.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:19 am

I was expecting the usual 'nil point' from Dartford away, so well done City.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:23 pm

Well that made a pleasant contrast to previous visits to Princes Park with the unexpected late comeback. If there's a better goal for us this season than Thomas's stunning strike it will be worth seeing. He was the most impressive of the new signings for me, quick and very tricky, and apart from his collector's item at the end he also provided the great pass for the first goal. Also liked the look of Russe and the keeper made some vital saves when Dartford threatened to get out of sight.
While a poster on Dartford's forum describing us as Neanderthals was OTT, we certainly appear to have a more aggressive edge now. Batten was probably unfortunate to see red, but some other refs may well have sent Morgan packing for his challenge just before the break. With such a small squad we can't afford a lot of suspensions.
But overall very encouraging and let's hope we can follow it up with a win next Saturday. As the assistant manager said afterwards, we must improve on last season's home form.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:27 pm

BenE wrote:
PHILB1973# wrote:Well lucky for you lot that you don't get to hear about Watford's excellent 4 zip win over relegation fodder Q.P.R.
It seemed QPR were pretty hopeless. Nice of then to give you a flying start to the season.

Let's face it, Watford and Coventry will merely be chasing shadows as proved by the champions elect's fine win at Middlesbrough!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:40 pm

Bit presumptious after one game in a very very competitive league.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:23 pm

I was hoping we would have more defensive strength this season so it's encouraging if Dartford fans are making comments ( even if a bit inane) regarding our aggression.
I suppose conceding 3 was disappointing but that was offset by scoring the same number. Not mentioned is that we had an excellent finish ruled out for offside. From behind the goal it is difficult to make any judgement one way or the other but suspect it was quite close. We also had a 2nd half effort that clipped the crossbar.
I certainly feel that in Ewan Clark and Jordan Thomas we have a couple of players that have that ability to do something special every now and then. Certainly feel that our 3rd goal was a very composed finish after creating himself the opportunity.

Peter Newman

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:05 pm

If we can't fill the bench on the first day it doesn't augur well for later in the season when we start going Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday. Presumably young Cook was never going to come on, and is Frear fit as he has been unused sub in last few friendlies?

Having said that I am sure we would all have taken a point at 3pm and even more so at 2-0 down.

LB

Beau Nash and Digger like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:17 pm

BenE wrote:Bit presumptious after one game in a very very competitive league.

My comment was in jest! Millwall's natural level is lower Championship - they could never compete in the EPL. Beating the likes of Leeds and Bristol City will do for me.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:30 pm

You don't get much coverage of the championship in the media so I half wondered if Millwall had been squad building in the summer. But your schoolboy enthusiasm did make me chuckle.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:35 am

Shame we were unable ( or perhaps not allowed ) to have our own  high quality recording of the match. The highlights  seems to have been recorded on a phone camera with particular attention to the stand roof. Must admit Jack Batten's 2nd booking was somewhat harsh. It does seem to be a strong challenge but appears to have won the ball cleanly. If the referee deemed it to be reckless then it would, presumably,  have meant a straight red card.
Anyway come on us Neanderthals!

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:56 am

Agreed, the footage was appalling.
I tried unsuccessfully (as is customary with the National League website) to find out when the live streaming of matches in NLS is due to start. Does anyone have any information? I can't imagine many of our supporters will be able to get to the matches away to Eastbourne and Truro.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:36 pm

Apparently Torquay were unable to broadcast their game at Dover on Saturday due to there being no access to a power source! Someone commented that they hadn't realised that electricity hadn't reached Dover yet!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:27 pm

comrade powell wrote:Agreed, the footage was appalling.
I tried unsuccessfully (as is customary with the National League website) to find out when the live streaming of matches in NLS is due to start. Does anyone have any information? I can't imagine many of our supporters will be able to get to the matches away to Eastbourne and Truro.

Midweek or non Saturday 3pm kos only, and starts I believe week of our home WSM game.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:43 pm

Luton Roman wrote:
comrade powell wrote:Agreed, the footage was appalling.

Midweek or non Saturday 3pm kos only, and starts I believe week of our home WSM game.

Still haven't heard a single thing regarding streaming, other than the NL's original announcement that it's happening, so it won't be me providing it, thankfully.
Interesting that Torquay were even allowed to take a camera to Dover given they've selfishly blocked everyone else in the division from doing so.
Dartford are among the most accommodating Club's for away media, no problem there at all, I just didn't go due to flu. Their footage will have been for the analyst's use so maintained a wide shot. Not ideal for highlights but better than nothing given we always score a screamer if I don't go.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:38 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, Dave, and hope you’re feeling better!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:07 am

comrade powell wrote:
BenE wrote:Bit presumptious after one game in a very very competitive league.

My comment was in jest! Millwall's natural level is lower Championship - they could never compete in the EPL. Beating the likes of Leeds and Bristol City will do for me.

The BBC sport news annoucer last Friday said that, "Football is back but only lower league football this weekend".

I wonder how Celtic, Millwall, Leeds, and Southampton (to name just two) must have felt.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down