Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dartford next up...

+8
Beau Nash
turnstyle13
kermit
pete mac
LB
Luton Roman
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dartford next up... Empty Dartford next up...

Post by comrade powell Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:03 pm

Decent preview of tomorrow's match here...

https://www.dartfordfc.com/match-preview-dartford-v-bath-city/
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Dartford next up... Empty Re: Dartford next up...

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Dartford’s squad is insane. They’re going to have some decent players sat at home most weeks. But nothing to be overawed by, finally got over that hoodoo against them last season (fittingly when I wasn’t there) and if we defend like we have recently we can easily pinch a result.

And yes, it’s an excellent preview.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:41 pm

One of their fans has posted on the Dartford forum...

Delighted that the club have changed the suppliers of the streaming "service". Fingers crossed this will be a lot better and we will actually be able to concentrate on watching the match. I'm looking forward to it.

Should I chance it?...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:56 pm

Despite our dreadful record at Princes Park I've got happy memories of their old Watling Street ground. Probably the most memorable was our last visit in 1990 when a Gary Smart goal virtually eliminated the Darts from the three horse race with ourselves and Dover for the title.

We had four draws there in the late 70s, and I'm sure in one we hit the woodwork several times because I can remember kicking the offending post after the final whistle! Very Happy

And we must always be grateful to the Darts for selling us George Gibbs for just £500!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Yes remember the 1-0 win there. Car wouldn't start after the game. Waved the coach off as I waited fir the AA. They must have got to Bath before I got home to Luton. Crazy points total by the top 3 that season. Then Dover had a ground problem....

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:23 pm

If you keep buying this seasons programmes you will see the story of 1989/90 unfold... (so I won't spoil the ending!).

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 pm

I was behind the goal for Gary Smart’s scrappy winner. Remember shouting at Peter Taylor in a fairly negative way but I am older and calmer now!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:45 pm

P. S enjoying the programmes. Keep up the great work.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:13 pm

Yes. Remember the day well. Gary scored some great goals in his time with us.
On another occasion, I recall saying to others at the game that when he scored an early goal at Craven Cottage in the fa cup that we needed it to be in the 90th minute.
Still, the Fulham game was a night full of memories and some excellent Fullers London Pride, and the win at Dartford was also brilliant.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:30 pm

Kermit I think that day to Dartford featured ‘Young’s’ ale. Splendid day out.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:40 am

comrade powell wrote:Decent preview of tomorrow's match here...

https://www.dartfordfc.com/match-preview-dartford-v-bath-city/

I can't see a lot of goals in this game,  Dartford 0 or 1, City 0 or 1 but if City have at least three of their forwards available then 2 is more than possible.

I have been very impressed with Conway and Hinds, Tomlinson made an impressive debut and I predict all three will improve again as they get more game time;  with Tom Smith yet to hit the heights of last season scoring wise and Harley and Pope showing class there are a lot of encouraging signs for scoring goals.  bounce
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:10 pm

So far stream has been fine but sound is dreadful.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:39 pm

I can't get BCIR!

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:23 pm

Just think, if fans had been allowed in there might have been a qualified official in the crowd...

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-chris Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:07 pm

I just wanted to say a big thank you to the commentators on the BCIR today. I think they did a brilliant job to keep talking all through the delay of finding a replacement assistant referee .   Congratulations for not sounding as if they were losing the will to live (even if they felt like it  Smile ) and for keeping our interest when not a lot was happening.
Well Done cheers.
Midsomer-chris
Midsomer-chris

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:30 pm

comrade powell wrote:So far stream has been fine but sound is dreadful.

I realised soon after posting that there were breaks in the commentator’s delivery rather than any problem with the stream. But it was good to be able to watch the whole match without interruptions despite the disappointing result.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:38 pm

The streaming was ok for me. Picture quality was at times a bit fuzzy ( I hadn't been drinking!), and the sound was about 10 seconds ahead of the picture for me.
Tried listening to BCIR but that started off about 2 minutes ahead at the beginning and ended up way behind at the end.
During the prolonged half time I listened to BCIR and realised how lucky we are to not be allowed to go to games and be spared the cold conditions they had to endure whilst we are tucked up in front of the fire!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Can not argue with result or streaming. Mind you once again we were playing Oxford City (AKA Brazil).

We have to accept there will be an element of bias toward the home side but the number of times we heard " what a fantastic pass " just before the ball ended going out of play.

As said above the streaming was fine but it did seem as if the camera would have benefited from a telephoto lens.  Of course it could be that I need an up to date sight check at Specsavers or a drive to Barnard Castle

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:30 pm

I don’t suppose we can expect supporters of the home club to conceal their bias when the dreadful tv summariser Steve McManaman could be heard celebrating as Liverpool scored their first today!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:43 pm

As usual lately it’s more about the stream than the game. Did we play badly?

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 am

I thought we played pretty well, but I’ve maybe been swayed by our final 15 minutes which made me forget about two hours previous when we were penned in at the start.

That and compared to our previous miserable defeats at that place this was a very good performance. Batten was good again.

I’m starting to think we play at the worst level ever. How many times have we had an injured official now? It’s elite enough to not have crowds but you can’t find enough spare officials, or even anyone to show the stoppage time board now. Then again I wouldn’t stand in a dugout near King all game if you paid me. He’s not streaming a load of expletives but he does what he can to get in a referee’s head and is more obvious when you’re sat 20 feet from it.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:16 am

Who was the replacement official? From their commentary it sounded like he had been summoned from somewhere in the town. Were both managers happy for him to stand in as at one point during the discussions it looked like the ref was going to call it off.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 am

My question is answered in Jerry’s interview. Sounds like you almost made a wasted trip, Junior. I wonder what the NL’s response would be to the request for 4th officials to be present.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:47 pm

NLP described us as lack lustre, didn't see the stream but by all accounts we were under the cosh. JG and Evans post match talked about us getting more crosses in the box but have we the forward physicality to convert them? Hopefully returning players will ease the pressure and Wilson can finally appear.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:41 pm

I settled for the BCIR commentary - excellent as always and I thought they dealt with the long delay very well.

Early on sounded like we could be in for another Wealdstone but in the end losing 1-0 to what seems a very good Dartford side not the end of the world.

Interesting to hear Jerry's interview, and explains why when the game eventually restarted you could hear someone from Dartford - almost certainly Steve King - saying something like "They don't want this remember, they don't want this".      

Good to hear that Wilson might be back next week, but I wonder if he might start on the bench, especially as it is likely to be a physical game against Havant.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next