Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City 2-1 Welling

+2
Colin Voutt
comrade powell
6 posters

Go down

City 2-1 Welling Empty City 2-1 Welling

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:47 pm

That was more like it!

I did fear the goals would never come especially after we missed some golden opportunities but it proved to be worth the wait with a couple of gems. Well done to the new arrivals who all settled in quickly  - we certainly looked more composed than in recent matches.

I thought that Welling played some good stuff as well and they certainly contributed to an entertaining game.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

City 2-1 Welling Empty Re: City 2-1 Welling

Post by Colin Voutt Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:12 pm

Welling had to notable parts to their plan:

put everyone or sometimes onlt ten behind the ball (until they went behind)

and.

fall down every time they lost the ball in a tackle.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:46 pm

Certainly agree with your first observation. It’s a plan employed by many teams these days including several at TP this season. The difference today was that we didn’t regularly throw away possession and get picked off.

Someone on social media suggested Welling were the worst team seen here so far - presumably he wasn’t at the Billericay match.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:24 am

The energetic forward movement of the team was a joy to watch, something that seemed missing of late.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:29 am

City 'til we're relegated wrote:The energetic forward movement of the team was a joy to watch, something that seemed missing of late.

Agreed

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:49 am

We have our two strikers wide apart and running the channels. This pulls the defence around and creates space for midfielders to run into. You would have thought Tom Smith would revel in this but he isn't on it at the moment. Hopefully he will find his mojo.
Mayhew looked bright and Holness and Owers had decent games but at times there was a big hole in midfield which Welling exploited. Fortunately for us their strikers flattered to deceive.
But agree overall a much more assured performance.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:24 pm

Considering how young they are I thought the defence did pretty well, and Delaney showed that he was no donkey with that run down the left wing in the second half.

Nice to see us making chances and we should probably have had the game won by half time, but the goals were both quality and worth waiting for.

Agree with BenE about the midfield, but this has been an issue from day one - although it might restrict our attacking options a bit I think we probably need Lloyd James in there as he does hold the ball and give a bit of stability.

Overall though as others have said, a satisfying performance and result, and hopefully the start of a run of similar results. After all, we are only 6 points off the play offs!

Interesting the hear Jerry talk in his post match interview about the 'turmoil' at the club over the past few weeks - presumably they will have to come clean about what is happening with Gerring and Harley before too much longer.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:56 pm

Only an assumption, but as it seems accepted by most fans that Gerring has been sacked then the Club may have to tread very carefully to avoid legal issues. So I’m not sure it’s fair to talk about it 'coming clean’.

And considering our defensive record in many of the games he played I can’t say I’m missing him.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:14 pm

Isn't it more likely that he hasn't been sacked by the club and they are seeking to find a resolution to whatever the issue is?
BenE
BenE

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:46 pm

BenE wrote:Isn't it more likely that he hasn't been sacked by the club and they are seeking to find a resolution to whatever the issue is?

That is why I think there needs to be some clarification to explain why potentially our most highly paid player has 'disappeared'.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:01 pm

comrade powell wrote:Someone on social media suggested Welling were the worst team seen here so far - presumably he wasn’t at the Billericay match.

I was surprised they took so long to start coming out of their shells. I thought they'd be at us from the off considering our confidence being low and a new-look defence. But in response you can say we stopped them from that - pressed superbly and thwarted any real openings.

Once we scored Welling really went for it and thought our defending was largely outstanding. Bit frustrating to concede right at the death but no matter. And in fairness the scorer, a defender on loan from Millwall, was arguably their best player.

Going by their results pre-Taylor when they took some real hammerings they've clearly improved and I don't think either will be occupying the dreaded bottom spot come May.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

pete mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down