Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Altrincham Goal

+9
Kelston Koppite
stillmanjunior
yuffie
Marc Monitor
comrade powell
Mcnulty
BenE
pete mac
Skyblue
13 posters

Go down

Altrincham Goal Empty Altrincham Goal

Post by Skyblue Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:14 am

Skyblue

Back to top Go down

Altrincham Goal Empty Re: Altrincham Goal

Post by pete mac Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:40 am

Textbook cross and header.

Great moment.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:18 am

have you got a clip of the trip of Chris Allen in the box. It looked a clear foul to me.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:22 am

I'd like to see that again as well. Amused to see their forum moaning about the ref. I thought overall though he was poor, they got the rub of the green from him.
I didn't like the fact that nearly every time on of our guys beat one of theirs, there was a tug back. Booking every time but it took until the second half for the ref to start spotting it.
Only dubious one of them was that offside , I wasn't in line but their centre forward looked onside to me. Big jase's saved it anyway but still.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:32 pm

Of all the teams we have played in this season's cup and trophy runs, Altrincham made the least favourable impression on me, whether it be their one dimensional team, whinging manager or supporters who didn't seem to want to share the occasion with us. Remember the Thurrock, Rovers, Glos and Wealdstone fans who took the time to come on here before and after the games. Of course Alty fans are bitterly disappointed with their team's abject performance yesterday, but so were we after Thurrock. I don't remember the sour grapes on here, just an acceptance that we were beaten by a better team on the day and wishing them well in the next round.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyblue Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:43 pm

BenE wrote:have you got a clip of the trip of Chris Allen in the box. It looked a clear foul to me.
Yep, I thought it was in real time, watching it back in slo mo, Chris nutmegs the defender whose right foot sweeps at the ball but misses it completely, wiping Chris out at the same time. One of those that might look like a dive even though it clearly wasn't. Linesman was better placed to see it but chose not to get involved.

Skyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:49 pm

I thought it was a dive or, at least, minimal contact at the time. I am not sure that that video clears up how much contact there was but it still looks a bit cheap to me and I don't really blame the lino or ref for not giving it.

If we had lost, however....
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Defender's reaction suggests he was just waiting for the penalty to be given.

Justice done in the end.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:02 pm

I've got a pic of it. Was stood near the dugout, they were livid.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyblue Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:I thought it was a dive or, at least, minimal contact at the time. I am not sure that that video clears up how much contact there was but it still looks a bit cheap to me and I don't really blame the lino or ref for not giving it.

If we had lost, however....

If you watch the slo mo a couple of times, Chris is running at pace and changing direction, the defenders right foot comes across and up catching Chris' left foot which is about to become his standing foot, it is a clear trip to me, if he thought Chris dived, he should book him for simulation.

Skyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:36 pm

I thought that it looked like a penalty at the time , and there is nothing in the video clip that has changed my mind.

As Yuffie pointed out, the defender's reaction says it all.

Still, it was the right result in the end.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by Davetherave Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:50 pm

comrade powell wrote:Of all the teams we have played in this season's cup and trophy runs, Altrincham made the least favourable impression on me, whether it be their one dimensional team, whinging manager  or supporters who didn't seem to want to share the occasion with us. Remember the Thurrock, Rovers, Glos and Wealdstone fans who took the time to come on here before and after the games. Of course Alty fans are bitterly disappointed with their team's abject performance yesterday, but so were we after Thurrock. I don't remember the sour grapes on here, just an acceptance that we were beaten by a better team on the day and wishing them well in the next round.

Have you been over and registered on the altrincham forum to share the occasion with them? Most of the comments on there are complimentary or mention only their own teams performance and nothing either way about City, so I can't see how that is sour grapes? It's also a football match, not a tea dance so maybe they don't want to talk to other supporters. I thought they travelled in decent numbers, behaved themselves and showed grace in defeat, best to enjoy the win rather than look for something that isn't there.

Davetherave

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:51 pm

That's a fair point you make with your initial question, Dave, although I think it's perfectly possible to maintain tribal loyalties AND mix with opponents. Maybe that's one of the many difference in the levels that our teams play at. However, I would argue the point about your forum and sour grapes!  And yes, it was a good turn out yesterday by Alty fans - I wasn't suggesting otherwise - and they gave your team good support. Anyway, thanks for registering on here and good luck for the rest of the season.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:02 pm

I think Dave is a Bath City supporter.

I have to say that I though their team played pretty well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:26 pm

I thought it was a penalty at the time, and I think the video proves it. Chris pushed the ball past the defender who stopped him getting it - clear penalty in my opinion. The assistant was well placed to see it but didn't flag - I will let him off though, because he didn't flag for an Altrincham penalty in the first half when they appealed for handball.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:06 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:I think Dave is a Bath City supporter.

yes, on re-reading his post, you're right! Embarassed

Disagree with your 2nd comment though...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:15 am

It looks pretty clear to me - penalty - which the linesman should have had a good view of. In fact so should the ref who was much closer than I was.

In Alan Hansen's parlance - Stonewall.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:20 am

I'll upload the pics I took of the incident later. I personally thought he was caught, if the officials felt differently he should have been booked for diving. I'm sure I overheard the linesman claiming that the defender got a touch of the ball. Hmm.

I still feel sorry for the officials at times. The amount of stick they get from the dugouts is ridiculous, it wouldn't be allowed to happen in other sports so why is it acceptable in football?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave N Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:28 am

Good point Mark, refs have a hard job to do - we have slow motion to look at it over and over again but we still can't decide! They a split second to make a decision.

Dave N

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:34 am

Agree 100%. It was Andy Gray who started this forensic analysis of officials' decisions, having watched numerous slow mo replays. Now they're all at it in the studios. I haven't much time for Savage, but at least he was pointing out in the Brighton match yesterday how ridiculous these penalty appeals for handball were becoming when the ball is blasted at a defender.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:04 am

LB wrote:I thought it was a penalty at the time, and I think the video proves it. Chris pushed the ball past the defender who stopped him getting it - clear penalty in my opinion. The assistant was well placed to see it but didn't flag - I will let him off though, because he didn't flag for an Altrincham penalty in the first half when they appealed for handball.

There was no handball. It hit a City defender on the shoulder. Lino 10 yards away indicated shoulder straight away. I had a good view and, it was Gallinagh I think, had deliberately dropped his shoulder to deflect an attempted cross.
Unless we're talking of another incident.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:22 pm

comrade powell wrote:
Marc Monitor wrote:I think Dave is a Bath City supporter.

yes, on re-reading his post, you're right! Embarassed

Disagree with your 2nd comment though...

Well, let me qualify it. As I mention on the other thread, they defended well and, unlike Rovers and Wealdstone, didn't underestimate us and, at least, showed up but appeared to want to get us back to their place for a replay.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:19 pm

Definite penalty

Alty fans were great.

I met an old mate I used to work with in Lindon. An Alty fan who had drive down from York.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:08 pm

Altrincham Goal 41-all12
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:13 pm

Altrincham Goal 42-all11
stillmanjunior