Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

crrrrraaaaasssshhhhh

+20
Luton Roman
Roman Mike
Dave
Midsomer-chris
thomasmaxbaer
the demon headmaster
SteveS
Marc Monitor
BenE
Beau Nash
Dodgycarpet
Skyblue
MaryS
Dusty Lynfield
pete mac
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
comrade powell
yuffie
bonzodog
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

crrrrraaaaasssshhhhh - Page 3 Empty Re: crrrrraaaaasssshhhhh

Post by comrade powell Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:04 pm

Anything less than 2 points in the 2 games v WSM and I think survival might become our priority. It would need a huge improvement over the 2nd half of the season for us to become interested in the playoffs - another midtable finish looks the most likely. Still, I'd trade that for a day at Wembley...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:38 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Why done we play Walshy up front to give Pratty a rest? He's played there, experienced, can win headers, and we have options at the back, while we dont seem too have many up front.

According to Wiki Phil Walsh has scored 29 goals in 11 years. Not what I would call prolific.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:59 pm

BenE wrote:The one thing we need is someone to compete physically with the agricultural defenders we face week in week out. If as Yuffie notes we won't be allowed to play like Barcelona then we need to have an option. That is where McCootie comes in.

He may not score and he may not set up goals but he gives the defenders something to think about that affords Dave Pratt the opportunity to nip in and score. You can't get a stat for that.

You don't need a stat for that. You just need to watch him. He can't head the ball, can't hold the ball up, doesn't chase down balls and doesn't put the goalkeeper nor defenders under pressure. The only thing that the defenders are thinking about is wondering how he is getting on the pitch in current form. Nothing against the lad but he is just out of his depth and off the pace (or lazy). He may have seemed quite physical and quick a league or two down but just doesn't do enough here.

Watkins, Stearn and even Bowman and Simmo on their attacking runs give defenders much more to worry about.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:06 pm

And yet he made such an excellent impression on his debut against Maidenhead. Surely he not going to be a one game wonder like Nat Pepperall. With Pratt struggling for fitness, we've got a major problem on the goalscoring front. We barely average a goal a game, with McCootie and Watkins just scoring twice in 23 league starts between them. Benny's stat shows that Walsh probably isn't the answer, and as the management will never risk those from the development squad, the only alternative is Stearn. Time to bury the hatchet....
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:16 pm

the post match interview predictably recognises Stearn's goal threat 'but we're looking for him to do other things'...

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/276329/binaries/HowellsWealdstoneH1214.mp3
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:42 pm

I am not sure that his debut would have looked that impressive if he hasn't scored but he did so brilliant but he hasn't recently.

I am sorry to say it but those remarks from Howells are utter cock. How he can, on one hand, gloss over McCootie for being inconsistent and then talk about wanting other things from Stearn. I mean, he scores and he provides assists. What more do they want? Don't give me that 'tracking back' rubbish either. Seriously, it is like Howells and Britton are the Duke Brothers from Trading Places and have a $1 bet as to who can make the more ridiculous excuses for not playing Stearn. Get rid of them. One Cup victory does not a season make.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by bristoldome Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Dear oh dear. Archie recognises we are lacking a goal scorer whilst Pratt is injured. He also recognises that Stearn is a natural goal scorer. However, he feels that the only (unviable) options are to throw a kid into team or buy an older player who is probably past it. Is it just me or by his own admission is the answer staring him full on in the face?! I havent been for a few weeks due to family commitments and i really havent missed it at all. Its getting ridiculous.

bristoldome

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:18 pm

comrade powell wrote:the post match interview predictably recognises Stearn's goal threat 'but we're looking for him to do other things'...

Maybe he is being groomed as cover for Jason and can't be risked higher up the field.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Ha ha ha.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:18 am

Palms wrote:
BenE wrote: Remember he has stepped up a league as well.

2 divisions to be fair, only promoted with Paulton in the summer

And the management were slated before for not giving lower league players a chance, only going for ex-pros and that. So this time they did it...and people are saying McCootie isn't good enough.

The gap between our level and two leagues below is huge. You get the occasional exception but on the whole the football is a lot worse.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:19 am

bristoldome wrote: I havent been for a few weeks due to family commitments and i really havent missed it at all. Its getting ridiculous.

Well, you missed Rovers, that was quite good...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:38 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
Palms wrote:
BenE wrote: Remember he has stepped up a league as well.

2 divisions to be fair, only promoted with Paulton in the summer

And the management were slated before for not giving lower league players a chance, only going for ex-pros and that. So this time they did it...and people are saying McCootie isn't good enough.

As one of the slaters, I was delighted when McCootie arrived and even more so with his debut. If the problem is his, then he clearly has a lot of hard work to do, hopefully with the assistance of the coaching team. Just because people are criticising the player, doesn't mean that the policy of recruiting from the locality is flawed. I hope he's the first of several and that some will be able to cope with the step up. I think the days of us signing expensive ex league players are long gone...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:51 pm

For me McCootie hasn't looked fit, and seems to have a hamstring injury (as he often seems to be holding it/it often has a wrap or strapping around it) so I don't think we have seen the best of him, as I think he is playing within himself.

I am glad we signed a player who was doing so well at Paulton, and I still am willing to give him time to prove himself.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by bristoldome Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 pm

I did miss the rovers game and that was undeniably a great result. However, in the bread and butter of the league the malaise continues. Its the general apathy, inconsistency and frustration that i havent missed. I am of the opinion that we have some good players (certainly good enough to challenge for the play offs) but the management is seriously lacking and is actually holding them back whilst blaming anyone but themselves. Its a real shame and i hope that the damage isnt irepairable.

bristoldome

Back to top Go down

Post by danver Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:39 pm

The Wealdstone goal must be down to Walshy, nodding the ball back into the middle instead of out of play. Their centre forward left him for dead on a few occasions, Keary is very unlucky to be left out, he's been one of the more consistent performers this season, other than that, I wouldn't change much, just try get everyone fit and motivated.

danver

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:34 pm

I don't know what the problem is with McCootie. There were lots of clubs interested in him and I thought he was a very good signing. Great debut and not really looked the same since. Came on late in the game at Rovers and there was an opportunity near the end where the ball was played up to him near the corner flag and he had the chance to hold the ball up in the corner. Instead he appeared not interested and virtually gave up possession to the Rovers player who promptly launched it back down the pitch. In this instance it was not costly but another time, with us 1 -0 up with 2 minutes to go, it could well be.
For a player who was fresh having only just come on I thought this was very poor.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:54 pm

Saying that McCootie isn't up to starting first-team games at the moment is very different from saying that we shouldn't sign lower league players. Actually, to be honest, I though that everyone was saying that we should sign younger players. McCootie is 26, two years older than you know who. I am not saying that McCootie won't come good but he is leaving it a bit late.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:51 am

bristoldome wrote:Dear oh dear. Archie recognises we are lacking a goal scorer whilst Pratt is injured. He also recognises that Stearn is a natural goal scorer. However, he feels that the only (unviable) options are to throw a kid into team or buy an older player who is probably past it. Is it just me or by his own admission is the answer staring him full on in the face?! I havent been for a few weeks due to family commitments and i really havent missed it at all. Its getting ridiculous.
This comment for me was one of the stupidest Archie has made.
The question was about poor results due to our lack of goalscorering ability, which Archie accepted was the case. He then said that Stearn was "a natural goal-scorer", but that that's not enough!!!
What?!?!
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum