Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30years of (FA Cup) hurt

+11
Kelston Koppite
Manchester Romans
Peter Newman
Paul1978
Dave
Beau Nash
Luton Roman
comrade powell
kingswood charlie
BenE
City 'til we're relegated
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:28 pm

I suppose our favourite FA Cup matches partly reflects on our ages. I see that no one mentioned the Crystal Palace game at our previous ground, Lambridge. Of course that site has since become contaminated.

City 'til we're relegated

Posts : 205
Join date : 2014-03-02

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:32 pm

Dave wrote:

in terms of reaching the 'Proper' rounds from a similar stage to where we start now, the record isn't that different to now.
The past 25 seasons 98-99 to 23-24, we've reached the First Round or beyond from early Qualifying Rounds three times (Forest Green, Peterborough, Hendon).
The previous 25 seasons we'd managed it four times (Wimbledon, Plymouth, Peterborough, Northampton).
Seven times in the past 50 years, and five times in the preceding 50 years.  

The problem with going back too far is that the FA Cup rounds have changed. I believe what we call round three used to be round one, but I can't be sure.

City 'til we're relegated

Posts : 205
Join date : 2014-03-02

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by Digger Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:18 pm

Another p poor performance.
Has the squad size come to bite us....like we knew it would.

Digger

Posts : 51
Join date : 2021-08-16

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by BenE Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:31 pm

Was it p poor or did we just get done by a better team on the day
BenE
BenE

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2014-02-11

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:13 pm

Digger wrote:Another p poor performance.
Has the squad size come to bite us....like we knew it would.
Morgan awaiting birth Batten not fit to replace the injured Dyer.

Luton Roman

Posts : 2227
Join date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:14 pm

Digger wrote:Another p poor performance.
Has the squad size come to bite us....like we knew it would.
Another poor performance??

Luton Roman

Posts : 2227
Join date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:18 pm

BenE wrote:Was it p poor or did we just get done by a better team on the day

Both. A much smaller margin of defeat but today for me had similarities with the Wealdstone debacle. We went into both games on the back of excellent runs and failed to turn up on the day.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Posts : 6731
Join date : 2014-01-27

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:34 pm

In his post match interview the manager rightly praised Worthing for the manner of their win. I’ll probably be shot down in flames for saying it, but with the exception of Weston on that night, Worthing look like the only team we’ve faced so far who should make at least the playoffs.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Posts : 6731
Join date : 2014-01-27

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by BenE Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:54 am

It certainly sounded like one way traffic on bcir. I was struck by how many times our players were dispossessed. But I thought it was strange to put Clark at full back. He hasn't looked great defensively all season.
BenE
BenE

Posts : 2426
Join date : 2014-02-11

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:39 am

It was a very surprising move, as was the substituting of Russe.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Posts : 6731
Join date : 2014-01-27

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by Micawber Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:51 pm

Post 2nd World War we've reached the 4th QR 48 times and won 22 times and lost 26. We've lost 9 of our last 11. Before the formation of the Conference we entered the cup at the 4th QR stage if we had reached the 1st round proper the previous season. Otherwise we entered at the 1st QR stage. Strangely in the 1978/79 season, which was the season after we won the Southern League and reached the 1st round proper, we entered the cup at the preliminary round stage.

Micawber

Posts : 119
Join date : 2014-02-23

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by comrade powell Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:01 pm

As we watched our attempts to claw back the two goal deficit on Saturday another very long term fan posed the question "do we have the worst record in our league for reaching the first round in recent years?"

I thought I'd wait until it was confirmed how many clubs had made it this year before doing some research - last night's disastrous replays meant that the only winners, Slough, joined Maidstone, Yeovil and Worthing.

We have played at this level for 12 seasons since our relegation from the Conference and of course have failed to reach the first round each time. Of the clubs we have played league fixtures against since 2012/13 38 have managed it...
 
once - 22 clubs
twice - 11 clubs (including Chippenham and WsM),
3 times - Chelmsford, Maidstone, Havant and St Albans  
5 times - Oxford

In those 12 seasons the first round has featured 62 teams from our division, an average of 5.

Of course most of our fellow clubs have not been ever present like ourselves - Yeovil have a 100% success rate but that is based on just one season. There may be others who have spent the majority of the period alongside ourselves but someone else can research who and their success rate.

However there are three clubs we can compare ourselves with as they have been ever present bed fellows - here's their record of reaching the first round...

Chelmsford and Havant - 3 times
Eastbourne - 2 times

So I think whichever way you look at it, the answer to my friend's question is sadly yes, we do appear to have the worst record.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Posts : 6731
Join date : 2014-01-27

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by Luton Roman Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:57 pm

comrade powell wrote:As we watched our attempts to claw back the two goal deficit on Saturday another very long term fan posed the question "do we have the worst record in our league for reaching the first round in recent years?"

I thought I'd wait until it was confirmed how many clubs had made it this year before doing some research - last night's disastrous replays meant that the only winners, Slough, joined Maidstone, Yeovil and Worthing.

We have played at this level for 12 seasons since our relegation from the Conference and of course have failed to reach the first round each time. Of the clubs we have played league fixtures against since 2012/13 38 have managed it...
 
once - 22 clubs
twice - 11 clubs (including Chippenham and WsM),
3 times - Chelmsford, Maidstone, Havant and St Albans  
5 times - Oxford

In those 12 seasons the first round has featured 62 teams from our division, an average of 5.

Of course most of our fellow clubs have not been ever present like ourselves - Yeovil have a 100% success rate but that is based on just one season. There may be others who have spent the majority of the period alongside ourselves but someone else can research who and their success rate.

However there are three clubs we can compare ourselves with as they have been ever present bed fellows - here's their record of reaching the first round...

Chelmsford and Havant - 3 times
Eastbourne - 2 times

So I think whichever way you look at it, the answer to my friend's question is sadly yes, we do appear to have the worst record.

I looked at this a couple of years ago when Dorking and Hungerford had similar records to ours. In fact Dorking Wanderers have never made the 1st Round proper.

Luton Roman

Posts : 2227
Join date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

30years of (FA Cup) hurt - Page 2 Empty Re: 30years of (FA Cup) hurt

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum