Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keith Sanderson

5 posters

Go down

Keith Sanderson Empty Keith Sanderson

Post by Peter Newman Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:44 pm

Not sure how many members can remember him from  Malcolm Allison era  but it seems he was involved in fatal car crash on Xmas eve.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Keith Sanderson Empty Re: Keith Sanderson

Post by Derby Brewer Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:18 pm

Surprised so little comment on here about the passing of Keith Sanderson. Perhaps I am just that old!
My dad started taking me to Twerton Park in 1963 and to this day that was a great Bath City side.
Allison took Keith to Plymouth along with Tony Book.
I didn't realise until reading a number of articles in the press after Christmas that Keith Sanderson was a Cambridge University graduate and played football part time throughout his career working for IBM during the week. He played part time for the great QPR side winning the league cup in 67.
My first post for a long time on here but always sad when a player from your schoolboy days passes away.

Derby Brewer

Manchester Romans likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bone ash Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:08 pm

I’ve moved this from the In Memoriam section. As it says there…

An area of the forum where we can remember those connected with the club who are sadly no longer with us. Please place new tribute threads in the "Bath City Stuff" forum.

After a few weeks I’ll move it to the Memoriam section.

bone ash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:15 pm

Like Derby Brewer I remember watching the team as a child in the season Keith played for City but I have clearer memories of that fantastic League Cup final of 1967 when he helped 3rd division QPR beat WBA.
Reading about that 63/64 season I see that he scored one of the goals to knock out Wimbledon in the second round of the Cup to set up the two games with Bolton. While in the Southern League he helped the likes of Fleming, Gough, Book and MacFarlane to reach third place behind Yeovil and Chelmsford. This was our best finish until Brian Godfrey’s title winners 14 years later.

A couple of links reporting Keith’s tragic death….

https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/club-news/keith-sanderson-rip-311222/

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/hull-born-queens-park-rangers-7982362
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Derby Brewer Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:56 pm

It was a great side Comrade Powell. Len Phillips was in it of course, played for England and we signed from Portsmouth. Johnny Cartwright who went on to have a fantastic coaching career at the highest level and was technical director at Lilleshall. Ian MacFarlane went on to Manchester City with Allison and then Sunderland and Leicester. Also the wonderful Tony Gough. Whenever I see that great Ronnie Radford goal for Hereford against Newcastle which must be at least once a year for the last 50! I always look for Tony because of course he captained Hereford that day.

Derby Brewer

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:30 pm

Glad to discover that it was not just me who remembered Keith S. At the back of my mind is the the thought that he stood out because of his white boots but accept it may have been another player.
I put the initial post in the memoriam section because thought there would be a limited number of members who might have seen him play.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by PSJRoman Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:28 am

Sad to hear of Keith`s passing, as a young teenager at the time I remember our wonderful team of 1963. We were so lucky to be able to enjoy some very talented players
wearing the black & white shirts. I particularly remember our marvellous cup run of that year (will we ever see one again??) I was fortunate to be able to go to the replay at
Bolton and we were stood with a group of Manchester Utd fans who had come along hoping to see a City win, not to be but a great night in City history.
Yes Peter you are right, Keith was easily recognised by his white boots, very innovative at the time when virtually every other player had the same dark coloured footwear.

PSJRoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum