Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We were poo tonight

+7
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
Steve Whites Missus
Colin Voutt
BenE
Beau Nash
Peteboa
11 posters

Go down

We were poo tonight Empty We were poo tonight

Post by Peteboa Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:13 am

I can't recall another evening game at twerts where we had such little foothold in the game. It was fairly clear after 10 minutes that we would have to ride our luck and try and miraculously salvage something. A couple of expertly worked moves almost managed to do just that but overall we looked weak, p1ss poor, with no leadership or game plan. This is my observation of the 90 mins I witnessed tonight.

Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

We were poo tonight Empty Re: We were poo tonight

Post by Beau Nash Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:35 am

A few quick points:

Individual errors cost two goals -
Ryan Clarke pushed the ball straight into the path of a H&R attacker, he knew it.
City were going for an equaliser when Eddie Jones telegraphed a pass which was intercepted and H&R broke away to score.

Zak Delaney was rightly substituted as he didn't look comfortable on City's left flank; that was where H&R were bossing the game and from where they scored their first goal.

Really feel for Tom Smith, a shadow of the quality player he was pre pandemic; no lack of effort but not utilising it like he used to.

From a creative perspective only Joe Raynes, deservedly City's man of the match, showed what others ought to be doing. He nearly scored twice, hitting the bar with a rocket shot on one occasion.

Alex Fletcher had very little support but beavered away creating a few chances to score. Was it he who missed a golden chance?

Substitute Cody Cooke made an impact, his downward header goal bound until it bounced up and hit the bar. Why didn't he start the game?

One team problem that stood out was the inclination to commit fouls by tackling poorly when simply marshalling an opposition player is more effective. A second problem was a tendency to lose possession due to poor ball control.

Take away the individual errors and City could have at least drawn the game; with a little more luck, City aren't getting much, they could have scored at least three goals.

Explanation required from management about the missing squad players?

Beau Nash
Beau Nash

comrade powell and PHILB1973# like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:09 am

It wasn't a great watch, we were poor all over the park, but somehow managed to fashion several very good opportuntites that we didn't take.
There is zero confidence in any of the players.
I have blamed midfield for our leaky defence but last night they succumbed all on their own and their feeble headers out from the back gave our midfielders no chance.
BenE
BenE

PHILB1973# likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:29 am

We WERE poor, but, so was the ref.

How did Jayden Harris survive his foul on Tom? Why was Tom carded?

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:35 am

Appreciate it's a young team with a lot of loan players but we need to start showing more leadership on the pitch or we could be in trouble

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:43 am

Beau Nash wrote:A few quick points:

From a creative perspective only Joe Raynes, deservedly City's man of the match, showed what others ought to be doing.  He nearly scored twice, hitting the bar with a rocket shot on one occasion.

Elliot Frear could have sneaked the mom from Raynes as also had an excellent game, but we need more than two players to turn up!

We had a brief spell during the game, leading up to our goal, where we looked good. If only we could expand upon that. Confidence must be at an all time low with the players.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:21 am

Steve Whites Missus wrote: We had a brief spell during the game, leading up to our goal, where we looked good.  If only we could expand upon that.  Confidence must be at an all time low with the players.

There was a spell 15th to 25th minute where City were superior; but probably, in total, only about 20-25 minutes out of the 90! pale
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:35 am

There are some salient comments here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/232866411968 - FB is not all bad.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:10 am

Beau Nash wrote:FB is not all bad.

Disagreed.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:26 am

Colin Voutt wrote:We WERE poor, but, so was the ref.

How did Jayden Harris survive his foul on Tom? Why was Tom carded?

I thought the ref was fine but from the stand didn’t get a good view of that incident. What happened?

And as for Harris, he was absolutely fuming when he was replaced and literally had to be dragged into the dugout.

I think he was the one involved in the first half incident with Smith when they got tangled up and there were similar handbags.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:57 pm

Interesting that we got nearly 500 for the somerset cup and only 700 odd last night. Are people saving themselves for Saturday especially those that pay on the gate?
Not sure what Jerry can do between now and then apart from bring Dan Ball back.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:02 pm

I’d certainly favour starting with Batten and Cooke. And hopefully the striker from Yate will be available - I assume his registration hadn’t come through for last night.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:42 pm

comrade powell wrote:I’d certainly favour starting with Batten and Cooke. And hopefully the striker from Yate will be available - I assume his registration hadn’t come through for last night.

JG pre match said that he had been playing too many games with Yate so was resting with a view to Saturday.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:52 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. Will be interesting to see if he starts on Saturday.
I was pleased that Tom Richards finally got a chance last night - although he didn't exactly boss the midfield I hope he gets another chance against Concord.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:22 pm

South London Road City wrote:Appreciate it's a young team with a lot of loan players but we need to start showing more leadership on the pitch or we could be in trouble
We are in trouble

threeday week

Back to top Go down

Post by PSJRoman Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:20 pm

I always believed to have any modicum of success a team needs to start with a sound defensive unit & build from there. This season we began with two right backs, three centre backs & no recognised left back. JG has since dispensed with two of the CBS & benched the third. We now have a back four which includes three inexperienced young loanees (plus two more in midfield) Now I have no problem with their energy & work rate, but good defence should be about organisation, (which comes from experience) not last ditch desperate tackles. Opposition teams are finding that if they continue to attack us they will inevitably score goals as we are not resilient enough.

I totally agree with SWM that Elliot Frear & Joe Raynes seem to be the only two who can perform regularly at the standard required to succeed at this level. As I have mentioned previously, I don`t know how our playing budget compares with other clubs, but with the not inconsiderable addition from the magnificent Crowdfunding effort, we do not seem to have got value for money. We have players like Richards, James, Harley (??? anybody?) barely given a run, and a backup keeper who isn`t used even when Clarke is out ( we go & get two or three loans instead)

Somehow JG is going to have to perform a small miracle to turn this season around or I am afraid the unthinkable could happen at the end of the season.

PSJRoman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:27 pm

I made the same point last night PSJ that the way managers halt a bad run is to set up with two banks of four and concentrate on not conceding. A few 0-0 draws is progress.
I am not convinced that with the manpower we have now we could even do that at this level, where we are regularly out muscled. The way things are a 1-0 loss would be progress.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:12 pm

We don't do draws. None in 13 matches this season and just the one in the same number in 20/21. A statistical freak or or down to a lack of fight?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:00 am

Just watched Jerry's interview and fair play to him drawing the positives out. It must be hard when things are not working and he is always happy to give an interview. I know some people get jittery on social media when the interviews are put up late but this is because Mark has stuff to do before he gets the chance to upload. He doesn't just slope off down the pub after the game.
Indeed our media team do a cracking job.
tovid
tovid

comrade powell, Beau Nash, Luton Roman and daven like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down