Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oxford City 5 City 1

+4
comrade powell
turnstyle13
pete mac
Luton Roman
8 posters

Go down

Oxford City 5 City 1 Empty Oxford City 5 City 1

Post by Luton Roman Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:18 pm

Well, here we go. City didn't look entirely easy in the 1st half, though no one could forecast what was going to happen later. We didn't seem to have the time and space that Oxford created meaning we created little. 2nd balls weren't won and we failed to work their keeper. One good move led to Frear sweeping in a cross at the far post to put us ahead. Gerring had a free header at a corner and should have hit the target. And a neat move involving Harley and Frear almost had Cooke tapping in. And er that was it, they bundled an equaliser and a speculative cross went in to put us behind at the interval.

As the Pink Un used to say:
HT Oxford City 2 Bath City 1
FT Oxford City 5 Bath City 1

We just never got going  they we're brighter, sharper and got 2 goals within minutes of each other. Our discipline and frustration boiled over and Jones, on a yellow, was a walking red and should have been subbed. Oxford had numerous chances to score more than 5 and we were happy for damage limitation. One positive, Cody Cooke never stopped running and trying. Can't think of anyone else.

JG took some inevitable stick from disappointed fans encouraging him to change it, but tbh we have no game changers on the bench.

Not sure where we go from here, hopefully less social media chat from players and manager and a focus on fixing it.

Meet her Manager on Wednesday could be lively.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Oxford City 5 City 1 Empty Re: Oxford City 5 City 1

Post by pete mac Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:35 pm

Good summary Gerry.

I was there today and regretted it.

Worst since the Wealdstone debacle.

And the beer fest had no beer.

Glad to be back home in Derby.

Hope to see more resilience this Saturday.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:46 pm

pete mac wrote:Good summary Gerry.

I was there today and regretted it.

Worst since the Wealdstone debacle.

And the beer fest had no beer.

Glad to be back home in Derby.

Hope to see more resilience this Saturday.

Ah yes, forgot about the non beer festival ! It was an omen.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:48 pm

Stating the obvious need to get back to basics and make ourselves hard to beat. Having seen 3 of the 4 games the midfield needs more steel. Even in the 3-0, that was clear in the second half of that first game. Currently it resembles a piece of Swiss cheese.

turnstyle13

pete mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:40 pm

I thought Wood was our best player in the two wins and the two he has missed shows what a vital part of the defence he is. I hoped that playing a back four may solve some of Saturday's problems but it wasn't to be.
comrade powell
comrade powell

pete mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:12 pm

From what I can make out we have not been the same since the moment Touray got injured
BenE
BenE

pete mac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:11 am

Luton Roman wrote:Not sure where we go from here, hopefully less social media chat from players and manager and a focus on fixing it.

Not sure I get this - there was a spell last season when we didn't do post-match interviews and players/manager were accused of going into hiding. I don't follow many of our players on social media now as I can live without seeing them thank/apologise to fans after games. Personally don't like this social media age where people think they have a right to criticise players/club so openly, that's at all levels. A defeat, particularly a bad one, always gets more people going than a win. Again same at all.

Luton Roman wrote:Meet the Manager on Wednesday could be lively.

Depends really. If people attend with this "I pay my money I can say what I want" attitude then yes. If they're sensible and constructive and don't go with the mantra of "you're only as good as your last game" it'll be ok. Better be anyway as I'm chairing the thing, last one I attended was when Adie got an unnecessary grilling about why we can't defend better against Jamie Vardy or something along those lines so I left halfway through. Might make my own bingo card to make it more entertaining.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:05 am

Its not the post match interviews, they are very welcome, and I'm sure we feel for you Mark when you have to approach Jerry after each of the 2 recent defeats.

Its Jerry coming on to Facebook/Twitter to comment on fans comments good bad, or indifferent, he should stay well away and leave his views to your excellent interviews.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:35 pm

Unlike some fans I don't have any problem with our manager in the way he manages the club. He is far better at this IMHO than some who have sat in his seat in the recent past.
However I do think he could be a bit more tolerant when facing 'observations' from fans (from both teams) during the match.
We all get fired up, and when things go badly it hurts us all.
When, and I'm sure he will, he moves on to a higher league team as a manager he will, at certain times, face far stronger criticism from loyal supporters than he receives from the City faithful. Hopefully tomorrow night will be constructive and not descend into a farce.
kermit
kermit

Luton Roman and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:39 am

turnstyle13 wrote:Stating the obvious need to get back to basics and make ourselves hard to beat. Having seen 3 of the 4 games the midfield needs more steel. Even in the 3-0, that was clear in the second half of that first game. Currently it resembles a piece of Swiss cheese.

I said on another thread that I was concerned before the season started that we had failed to replace Frankie. I understand Jerry's reasoning for releasing him, but we miss his ability to break up play and basically stop the opposition from running through us at will, which is putting the defence under pressure. Neither Harley nor James is that type of player but we do need to find a solution to the problem.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down