Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jamie Vardy

3 posters

Go down

Jamie Vardy Empty Jamie Vardy

Post by tovid Sun May 16, 2021 12:19 pm

With every success Vardy has I am reminded that when he played at TP I arrived at the ground late. By the time I got in he had already scored two goals. He gave Gethin Jones a torrid time and no wonder. It is a great feature of the english game that players can still make it to the top from non league. But I wonder whether it will happen in future with the way the game is changing.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Jamie Vardy Empty Re: Jamie Vardy

Post by Peter Newman Sun May 16, 2021 5:37 pm

Unfortunately Vardy represents the exception but it is great that pathway still exists.

I remember that match or thought i did. In my mind I see Vardy getting to a ball (that appeared to be Jim Rollo's)  and then  heading towards goal and  just thinking he is going to  put this in the net.- Which he did to put Fleetwood in the lead.

Someone will now post that Rollo was not  even playing!   I was also thinking Vardy's second goal was later in the game but perhaps you were really late!

Sure Mark will  come up with the actual statistics.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun May 16, 2021 7:11 pm

Rollo definitely played - there's been some dialogue elsewhere between him and Andrew Jones about him having difficulty keeping up with Vardy.

But Vardy only scored once at Twerton - the opener. He played a big part in a later goal which Andy Gallinagh definitely put in his own net. In the reverse fixture he scored two (one from memory was a storming run and crashing finish) and claimed an assist. We lost both games 4-1, the latter saw us mathematically relegated. A few weeks later we came from 2-0 down at Darlington to draw 2-2 and relegate them - their keeper was Jordan Pickford.

I remember chatting to someone a few days after the Fleetwood home game about it. He'd left at half-time as he thought it was embarrassing seeing us 'not trying'. We were trying all right, it's just difficult against a team that were miles better than us on and off the pitch. These things happen.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon May 17, 2021 11:28 am

There were a few players who looked like they weren't trying that season. In particular a number of strikers that came to play alongside Phillips but looked as though they would rather be somewhere else.

But the rest were doing their best.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum